Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: start logging first or last  (Read 3382 times)
K2JF

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2013, 12:57:42 PM »

Does it really matter whether your logging program starts first and then the rig is fired up - or whether the rig is fired up and then the logging program is opened?
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 03:04:18 PM »

Does it really matter whether your logging program starts first and then the rig is fired up - or whether the rig is fired up and then the logging program is opened?

If your transceiver is a recent model (IC-7200, UC-7410, IC-7600, IC-9100, TS-590, TS-990) that includes a USB interface that emulates a virtual serial port, and you're using this USB interface to connect your computer to your transceiver, that virtual serial port will not exist before you power up the transceiver. In this case, it will be easier to power up the transceiver before you start an application that communicates with your transceiver. If you your transceiver is connected to a serial port or USB-to-serial-port-adapter in your computer, then it shouldn't matter whether the transceiver is powered up before or after such an application.

Dave, AA6YQ
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 06:23:27 AM »

If your transceiver is a recent model (IC-7200, UC-7410, IC-7600, IC-9100, TS-590, TS-990) that includes a USB interface that emulates a virtual serial port, and you're using this USB interface to connect your computer to your transceiver, that virtual serial port will not exist before you power up the transceiver. In this case, it will be easier to power up the transceiver before you start an application that communicates with your transceiver. If you your transceiver is connected to a serial port or USB-to-serial-port-adapter in your computer, then it shouldn't matter whether the transceiver is powered up before or after such an application.

Dave, AA6YQ

Yep.  I can personally verify that HRD gets screwey if I don't turn on my IC-7410 first.  DM780 also seems to revert back to the internal sound card if the rig is not turned on first.

N8YQX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: