Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8.1  (Read 36683 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 06:17:30 AM »

Too bad Windows 9 will end up looking like Windows 7. The PC manufacturers will not allow another Windows 8. Microsoft nearly put them out of business.

Your in for a big surprise if you think that is going to happen. PC manufactures have little say in it. The desktop PC as we knew it is dying and along with it its old interface. We are moving to a smartphone and tablet world and that requires a new OS design. Laptops will survive only because soon they will all have touch screens too.

In addition. In the commercial and business world, there are 1,000 procedure/process oriented users for every one of you. These are people who know how to power up, open their app, use their app, and shut down the PC, and know nothing else. And in the medical field that I serviced, there were a ton of these types. Microsoft essentially put them to the side, and ignored them. Well, it took Windows 8 to find out how many there really are.

If Microsoft does not adapt to a touch screen world they will wither and die. Businesses will have to adapt too. Win 9 will be a refined 8.1 and Win 10 will push envelope further. Win 8 was a big step in many ways and a painful step for some but PC world is changing. Personally, I like 8 a lot of Laptops and tablets. The cloud features were long overdue.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 09:14:13 AM »

Your in for a big surprise if you think that is going to happen. PC manufactures have little say in it. The desktop PC as we knew it is dying and along with it its old interface. We are moving to a smartphone and tablet world and that requires a new OS design. Laptops will survive only because soon they will all have touch screens too.

Can the commercial or business worked work on a spreadsheet, or word doc, or similar program, and print it off a smart phone or tablet? Not productively. If there is a trend I am seeing in business, it is that people are using bigger and dual screens for business apps, designing, spreadsheets, etc. If you think that people will be able to nuke their large screens for these apps for the tablet world, you are lost. The tablet world is there for a few main things. Social media, surfing, videos, email, and things like that.

PC manufacturers have little say?

http://consumerist.com/2013/04/18/pc-manufacturers-say-windows-8-has-driven-millions-to-become-apple-users/

If Microsoft does not adapt to a touch screen world they will wither and die. Businesses will have to adapt too. Win 9 will be a refined 8.1 and Win 10 will push envelope further. Win 8 was a big step in many ways and a painful step for some but PC world is changing. Personally, I like 8 a lot of Laptops and tablets. The cloud features were long overdue.

You are underestimating the numbers that non-smart phone and non-tablet people of this world. Microsoft *DID* this very thing with Windows 8. The reason Microsoft will die, is because they are trying to be Apple or Google. In the past, if they were behind the times in technology, they just bought out a company or developed something and gave it away for free. They can no longer to that.

FWIW, It does not matter to me because I am not one of those. But I see dozens these type of people every day.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 09:53:56 AM »

Can the commercial or business worked work on a spreadsheet, or word doc, or similar program, and print it off a smart phone or tablet? Not productively. If there is a trend I am seeing in business, it is that people are using bigger and dual screens for business apps, designing, spreadsheets, etc. If you think that people will be able to nuke their large screens for these apps for the tablet world, you are lost. The tablet world is there for a few main things. Social media, surfing, videos, email, and things like that.

Some tablets are more than capable of these tasks now. Some come with key board covers and even full sized USB ports. I always viewed the Ipad as a niche toy at best and not a serious PC replacement. Microsoft's new venture into tablet OS is opening new doors. New hardware is making this possible too. Intel is finally providing some CPU's that support x86 and have the low power draw of a ARM CPU used in Apple and Andriod tablets and smart phones. The driving force here is a CPU that has been reborn. The Atom. It has finally been redesigned to handle out of order instruction that slowed its predecessors and added other improved logic and can be had as a true 4 core CPU with a average power usage of 1 watt and a peak of 2 watts.  It also offers a big leap in video processing power. I have used Andriod, Ipad and Win 8x tablets and Win tablets are going places in future. IOS would be my last choice and Andriod my second choice. I can pick up a WIN tablet and print to any wireless network printer in a flash, IOS will only print to IOS easily and Andriod is a little better but not up to Windows here.

You are underestimating the numbers that non-smart phone and non-tablet people of this world. Microsoft *DID* this very thing with Windows 8. The reason Microsoft will die, is because they are trying to be Apple or Google. In the past, if they were behind the times in technology, they just bought out a company or developed something and gave it away for free. They can no longer to that.

They are not trying to be Apple or Google but rather change with market. MS clung to desktop too tightly and time to move on. WIN 8 is first serious step. Maybe you want to stay with XP like interfaces and OS'es  but I do not and not many other do either in tech world. XP and its interface was born in 99 and it is almost 2014, time to move on.

FWIW, It does not matter to me because I am not one of those. But I see dozens these type of people every day.

I talk to far more that love WIN 8 than hate it. I must admit I was a WIN 8 skeptic a year ago but I am long over that now and actually dislike using WIN 7 now as I find it a bit limiting and clumsy now.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 07:29:38 PM »

I have purchased two laptops in the last 3 months.
The first was for my niece who was going away to university. So I went ahead and got one with win8.  Long and short is that after 3 days of setting it up for her I Hate win8.
She wanted win 8 so I left it on the PC but after a few weeks she called me and said she also hates it!  So the second laptop which I got for my wife I searched up and down for one with Win7 and eventually found a Samsung at BJs. 

Funny part is that a sales guy at one of the old compusa told me that a lot of people hate windows8 so they now offer a free software program that reverts it to a win7 look and feel.
I told him I knew about the software but was not interested.

For me the bottom line is that the touch screen format on a real PC is a flawed idea!
Tablets are held horizontally and it's pretty easy to keep your hands down word and navigate, but a PC screen is vertical and it becomes tiring real fast keeping your hand outstretched to touch the screen.  Also Microsoft has now hidden everything so deep that it's hard to locate anything in the settings.

I also suspect like the other poster that MS will revert back to a win7 interface or at least build in an option.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 05:19:07 AM »

I have purchased two laptops in the last 3 months.
The first was for my niece who was going away to university. So I went ahead and got one with win8.  Long and short is that after 3 days of setting it up for her I Hate win8.
She wanted win 8 so I left it on the PC but after a few weeks she called me and said she also hates it!  So the second laptop which I got for my wife I searched up and down for one with Win7 and eventually found a Samsung at BJs. 

Funny part is that a sales guy at one of the old compusa told me that a lot of people hate windows8 so they now offer a free software program that reverts it to a win7 look and feel.
I told him I knew about the software but was not interested.

For me the bottom line is that the touch screen format on a real PC is a flawed idea!
Tablets are held horizontally and it's pretty easy to keep your hands down word and navigate, but a PC screen is vertical and it becomes tiring real fast keeping your hand outstretched to touch the screen.  Also Microsoft has now hidden everything so deep that it's hard to locate anything in the settings.

I also suspect like the other poster that MS will revert back to a win7 interface or at least build in an option.

If you hang on to win 7 mentality, you will have trouble with 8. But if you learn new interface you will soon tire of old one. I have a win 7 laptop I plan to update soon. It came with both licenses. The cloud services are sweet and not supported in 7. You can cling to past or move into future.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »

...Also Microsoft has now hidden everything so deep that it's hard to locate anything in the settings....

This is exactly what I meant about trying having Win8 do the things that Win 7 does easily.  Face the facts, Win 8 was meant for to be a transitional system to get people to buy new pads and junk their laptops and desktops.  It's just isn't going to happen.  There will ALWAYS be uses for--and therefore will continue to be laptops and desktops--and Microsoft is off their nut if they think that they're going to force people to get rid of them.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 04:22:29 PM »

...Also Microsoft has now hidden everything so deep that it's hard to locate anything in the settings....

This is exactly what I meant about trying having Win8 do the things that Win 7 does easily.  Face the facts, Win 8 was meant for to be a transitional system to get people to buy new pads and junk their laptops and desktops.  It's just isn't going to happen.  There will ALWAYS be uses for--and therefore will continue to be laptops and desktops--and Microsoft is off their nut if they think that they're going to force people to get rid of them.

Actually a lot of things are easier with 8 and nothing is hidden or hard to find unless you are stuck in the win 7 style of doing things that dates back to Win 2000 and XP. You have a choice stay stuck in past or move to future. One feature in 8 that was long overdue was cloud support. Once you create a 8 account in cloud, any new device you get inherits its setting and account and what have you. It even transfers wifi setting. There is also new hardware features like getting mail while suspended in low power mode that 8 support and 7 does not. You can stay in past, I like the future.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 10:56:52 AM »

There are pros and cons to everything.  Yes, the cloud is the future, and it is just that that makes some people want to stay in the past.  Everyone is supposed to embrace "the cloud," but at what expense.  Now there is talk of viruses and software that "ransom" your data.  Just how many backups are we supposed to have?  Before it was just one with your files on your computer.  Now the cloud is supposed to do what your hard drive did before--but how many still keep a 'backup' of their files they can access without the internet being needed, so now there is a copy in the cloud, one in some machine/drive where you are--and one that is now being advised to be kept altogether separate.

Instead of things getting simpler, they're getting more complex--AND there is talk of data transfer fees coming back, so that the average Joe will be paying increased fees to the "cloud keepers" for the use of the cloud.  Where will it end?

I already frown at any software that is sold and downloaded from the internet without a hard copy backup being available, either by .iso copy or by CD or DVD.  I absolutely refuse to pay for any software that resides in the cloud and that can't be run from an autonomous computer--one that isn't internet connected.

People who want to embrace the future without comprehending exactly what that future will bring will reap what they sew--systems that are internet/cloud dependent, with NO ability to do anything autonomously anymore.  I'm not willing to go there, so, thank you, I WILL stay in the past.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 11:58:16 AM »

Well you system is mostly internet dependent now more or less. Internet is part of life like it or not.  Advances in hardware and in broadband have made things possible that were not possible in past. With 8 you can control what you send to cloud. I would never own a tablet or PC that is dumb and requires internet to function and do not see that anytime soon as for one, broad band bandwidth is not even close to being there yet. I personally think Window 8.x is slickest tablet OS out there to date. Way better than IOS and better than Android (but Android is better than IOS too in tablet world and sales support that)

On a side note 3  B26's just flew over preparing for a final tribute for Dolittle Raiders tomorrow at museum near here. There are only 4 left. 

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2013, 01:54:52 PM »

It's funny to see so much excitement over terminals connected ro a timesharing system
The cloud is no more the future than the "Perconal PC" was the future a few years back or mainframes and serial terminals a few years before that.
Every investment opportunity with potential is "the future".
Now that most people have PC, and a laptop and a table and a smartphone, the product left to sell is "Cloud services" and once "everyone" has that, thre will be a new "future" to sell.

That's all
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2013, 03:55:52 PM »

As far as I am concerned putting my Data on the cloud is like just leaving my Diary open and saying "here anybody who wants to read it go ahead".    I think if more people spent the time to read Just one of those 11 Page EULA they would be shocked.   
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2013, 04:05:24 PM »

Actually a lot of things are easier with 8 and nothing is hidden or hard to find unless you are stuck in the win 7 style of doing things that dates back to Win 2000 and XP. You have a choice stay stuck in past or move to future. One feature in 8 that was long overdue was cloud support. Once you create a 8 account in cloud, any new device you get inherits its setting and account and what have you. It even transfers wifi setting. There is also new hardware features like getting mail while suspended in low power mode that 8 support and 7 does not. You can stay in past, I like the future.

Try to setup a fixed IP connection on windows 8 and let me know how that works out.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »

Win 8/8.1 is OK. Some learning curve.

I upgraded my first gen Surface Pro to 8.1 and now Miracast works. Cool!

The 527 IT, software dev and accounting coworkers of mine will be interested to know their Windows desktop mode of operation is outdated and on the way out, though... Not so sure the business world is really ready for touch/tablet globally. Custom business apps will keep Win7 or a retro 8 in the picture for some time, IMO.

I do find myself instinctively using a combination of typing, mousing and touching/dragging the Surface Pro screen.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2013, 05:19:19 AM »

Try to setup a fixed IP connection on windows 8 and let me know how that works out.

Piece of cake. Easy to do even on a tablet.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »

It appears that the words OUTDATED and FUTURE are a matter of individual interpretation. Since 2003 I'm still using Windows XP professional for both my shack and small home based business, I suppose some would consider that outdated after 10 years and with its VISTA replacement. If or when my XP poops the bed I will be eagerly looking toward the FUTURE (10 yrs.??) by so called upgrading to my XYL's Windows 7 lap top which has been put away in the closet due to her recent purchase of a smarter than her Smart phone. The only use I have for touch and drag is for writing :Clean Me: on my daughter's car.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: