Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8.1  (Read 37528 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2013, 06:30:15 AM »

I have windows8 on one drive and 8.1 on another. Rather than use a dual boot program I swap drives in the bios. Also have 8.1 installation disk generated by the 8/8.1 trick mentioned earlier. Needed for refresh and reset operations. Not obvious how to create a restore point in 8.1 to get there run "sysdm.cpl".
For my uses I have not found 8.1 to be of a significant advantage. Its major disadvantage for me   is the inability to install vspmgr which I need to obtain band data from my flex 3000. Although I can do so in 8 using compatibility install I can't in 8.1. If anybody has a work around for this please let me know. 

Need to contact author of vspmgr to update code.  MS is getting picky about proper compiling of 32 bit apps

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »

I am not going to give MS anymore money than I have to.  I use OpenOffice (free d/l) instead of Windows Office.  I still remember the Windows 95 hype...  My Sister and Brother-in-law still use a W98 machine, yeah, in 2013!

Google is trying to get everyone "in the cloud" also, w/ Google Docs.  If you can't hold it in your hand, you don't own it.

Mike
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 04:09:42 AM »

While Google is totally cloud based at least with Win 8.x you have documents on your PC and backup/share in cloud the ones you want to.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »

I am not going to give MS anymore money than I have to.  I use OpenOffice (free d/l) instead of Windows Office.  I still remember the Windows 95 hype...  My Sister and Brother-in-law still use a W98 machine, yeah, in 2013!

Google is trying to get everyone "in the cloud" also, w/ Google Docs.  If you can't hold it in your hand, you don't own it.

Mike

Exactly, giving more money to Microsoft is like staying with an abusive partner.  The only way to win is to leave.
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2013, 06:54:36 AM »

WOW thanks for the warning......now what do we do???
the thing is, that when XP goes off_line in 04/2014,
 then the security updates will cease..
- if you use the Fox or use Chrome, that will still be secure - for some time after.
- most antivirus companies have stated that they will support XP for 1 - 2 years, at least.
 Grin
the thing isn't gonna crash, - just because it goes off_line.
- there will be heaps of people using the thing, - for years after.
win 9 will be out by then, & they still won't change - their H/W won't let them.
& they are reluctant to lash out for "a new one" - that's why they are still "using XP".
- it's gonna have to be a H/W failure - before they shift .. ..
  Shocked
& win 10 will be out by then.
 Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:57:07 AM by VK6IS » Logged
KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2013, 07:34:28 AM »

Saw an article yesterday to the effect that the Chinese government is trying to get Microsoft to extend XP's lifetime again.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/120313-windows-xp-china-276547.html?hpg1=bn
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2013, 01:28:44 PM »

WOW thanks for the warning......now what do we do???
the thing is, that when XP goes off_line in 04/2014,
 then the security updates will cease..
- if you use the Fox or use Chrome, that will still be secure - for some time after.
- most antivirus companies have stated that they will support XP for 1 - 2 years, at least.
 Grin
the thing isn't gonna crash, - just because it goes off_line.
- there will be heaps of people using the thing, - for years after.
win 9 will be out by then, & they still won't change - their H/W won't let them.
& they are reluctant to lash out for "a new one" - that's why they are still "using XP".
- it's gonna have to be a H/W failure - before they shift .. ..
  Shocked
& win 10 will be out by then.
 Roll Eyes

It might work for a while but it will be so far behind power curve in OS ability and hardware support it is foolish to waste time with it today.  Basically almost nobody uses a single core CPU these days and while XP provides some limited support for more than one core, Vista was first OS with true multi-core support and enhanced power management. I still use  3 Vista machines here too.  So if you insist on hanging on to XP it is a loosing venture.

VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2013, 05:21:28 AM »

"& they are reluctant to lash out for "a new one" - that's why they are still "using XP"."

and to reiterate - that there is an amazing number of people - who won't upgrade anymore .. ..

so - what happens when their PC does finally crash ??
- sideways - to what ?.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2013, 06:11:16 AM »

I think everyone should hang onto computers with older operating systems. I just read a post where Baofeng software didn't work with Windows 7, but worked with XP. Some programs only run on older operating systems.

I understand that the software for the Kenwood VC-H1 runs on Windows 95 and maybe Windows 98. Icom's Marine radio that is still sold today, the Icom IC- M710. The program that  opens up the radio is called "ex1726"  and that is DOS based. It is used to program the radio for other frequencies than the marine band. Cutting diodes will NOT change the frequency capability on that radio, only programming it via the software does.

And for older Windows operating systems like XP (as well as the older operating sytems below it) all have the free "hyper-terminal" program. With hyper-terminal you can run the MFJ 1278 and the AEA PK-232 without spending a bundle on a modern program to run it. However you can  use "Putty" for Windows Vista and above. In addition, some of the older still free programs (available on the net) that run packet and digital programs may not run on Windows Vista, 7, 8 or even XP.

While there are more modern programs that will run the older AEA PK-232's on more modern Windows operating systems. Some of these programs cost as much as $99. Which doesn't make much sense when you only paid $30 for a used PK-232 at a hamfest or on E-bay.

And if you have several XP computers around the shack, you can install a Linux OS and dual boot it. I suggest Linux Mint or some other Linux OS of your choice if you want to keep the computer going with a newer OS. Or if the computer has limited capability, you can always try out one of the leaner Linux operating systems.  I will wait till Windows 9 comes along before I think about buying a new computer.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:26:15 AM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2013, 08:44:08 AM »

I think everyone should hang onto computers with older operating systems. I just read a post where Baofeng software didn't work with Windows 7, but worked with XP. Some programs only run on older operating systems.

I understand that the software for the Kenwood VC-H1 runs on Windows 95 and maybe Windows 98. Icom's Marine radio that is still sold today, the Icom IC- M710. The program that  opens up the radio is called "ex1726"  and that is DOS based. It is used to program the radio for other frequencies than the marine band. Cutting diodes will NOT change the frequency capability on that radio, only programming it via the software does.

And for older Windows operating systems like XP (as well as the older operating sytems below it) all have the free "hyper-terminal" program. With hyper-terminal you can run the MFJ 1278 and the AEA PK-232 without spending a bundle on a modern program to run it. However you can  use "Putty" for Windows Vista and above. In addition, some of the older still free programs (available on the net) that run packet and digital programs may not run on Windows Vista, 7, 8 or even XP.

While there are more modern programs that will run the older AEA PK-232's on more modern Windows operating systems. Some of these programs cost as much as $99. Which doesn't make much sense when you only paid $30 for a used PK-232 at a hamfest or on E-bay.

And if you have several XP computers around the shack, you can install a Linux OS and dual boot it. I suggest Linux Mint or some other Linux OS of your choice if you want to keep the computer going with a newer OS. Or if the computer has limited capability, you can always try out one of the leaner Linux operating systems.  I will wait till Windows 9 comes along before I think about buying a new computer.

It is interesting the excuses many come up with to justify keeping XP. It is dead horse and programs that are not updated to support newer OSes are a dead end too. Move on to a modern OS. Linux is OK but it has limited support.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2013, 10:09:20 AM »

comes a time you can't find anybody to support your DOS 4.0/Cyber/EDSAC/slide rule any more.  why not move on while you can?

sidebar issue is old data you "meant" to write and read while you could, and now those fine old projects you did in 8 inch single-density floppies are locked away, like (as rumor has it) 80 percent of all the data NASA gleaned in the 60s and 70s.

do please open stuff that meant something while you have "compatible" formats and save as new files.

oh, I should send it that auto-order Hollerith card stuck in the tube sleeve... get some spares...
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2013, 12:31:17 PM »

Too bad Windows 9 will end up looking like Windows 7. The PC manufacturers will not allow another Windows 8. Microsoft nearly put them out of business.

Your in for a big surprise if you think that is going to happen. PC manufactures have little say in it. The desktop PC as we knew it is dying and along with it its old interface. We are moving to a smartphone and tablet world and that requires a new OS design. Laptops will survive only because soon they will all have touch screens too.

In addition. In the commercial and business world, there are 1,000 procedure/process oriented users for every one of you. These are people who know how to power up, open their app, use their app, and shut down the PC, and know nothing else. And in the medical field that I serviced, there were a ton of these types. Microsoft essentially put them to the side, and ignored them. Well, it took Windows 8 to find out how many there really are.

If Microsoft does not adapt to a touch screen world they will wither and die. Businesses will have to adapt too. Win 9 will be a refined 8.1 and Win 10 will push envelope further. Win 8 was a big step in many ways and a painful step for some but PC world is changing. Personally, I like 8 a lot of Laptops and tablets. The cloud features were long overdue.

The business world will keep the PC viable for many years to come. My company is now looking at Mac because of Windows 8.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2013, 12:37:26 PM »

The business world will keep the PC viable for many years to come. My company is now looking at Mac because of Windows 8.

Your company is about to shoot itself in the foot big time and pay a lot more to get less in the end.  Like it or not this is a Windows world not a Mac one.

K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2013, 12:49:58 PM »

Your company is about to shoot itself in the foot big time and pay a lot more to get less in the end.  Like it or not this is a Windows world not a Mac one.

It's extremely narrow minded to think that Windows is the only operating system out there. If they run into problems they could run Windows the MAC also. All of the applications we use have been available on the Mac for quite some time. I am sure the powers that be are looking at it as it is easier and less expensive for us not to change our way of doing business than to change because of a new Windows operating system.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2013, 03:32:18 PM »

It's extremely narrow minded to think that Windows is the only operating system out there. If they run into problems they could run Windows the MAC also. All of the applications we use have been available on the Mac for quite some time. I am sure the powers that be are looking at it as it is easier and less expensive for us not to change our way of doing business than to change because of a new Windows operating system.

Not narrow minded at all, I speak from experience. It is a matter of real world comparability. Pick up any PC and you can printer ANY non apple printer USB or wireless. Same with Tablet be it 8.1 full or RT out of the box.  Just try and print to any wireless printer with a Ipad. Not going to happen. Mac is a little better but not much. Is windows perfect, no but you can by any add on device and it will work and hardware is cheaper and cheap to upgrade. I think Apple makes hardware not friendly to non Apple hardware by design so you have to by more Apple hardware and then you hate to switch back to PC world because you have all that $$$ invested in extra hardware that is worthless in PC world. Great for marketing and profit but bad for consumer in end.   

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: