Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8.1  (Read 37731 times)
KC9RAK

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2013, 09:51:25 AM »

I have a new Dell desktop coming tomorrow with 8.1.  I'm currently XP at home and I am an IT professional.  I could have paid $50 more and had it loaded with 7 but decided to forge ahead.  Will see if that was a good decision or not.  My IT experience can hurt or help me here.  Not sure which.  :-)  Will try to keep an open mind but I suspect I will want to revert back to the XP way of thinking.  I'm sure there will be some frustration involved but that's ok.  Will let you know how it goes.

Dave
KC9RAK
WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2013, 10:08:28 AM »

I plan to pick up a full install copy of Win 7 to try and save the machine I got with Diablo ( Win 8 ) on it.  Roads are icy today, though.  Probably not worth risking life or limb, but maybe...

Smiley

73 de wb0ksl, John
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2013, 11:27:13 AM »

I have a new Dell desktop coming tomorrow with 8.1.  I'm currently XP at home and I am an IT professional.  I could have paid $50 more and had it loaded with 7 but decided to forge ahead.  Will see if that was a good decision or not.  My IT experience can hurt or help me here.  Not sure which.  :-)  Will try to keep an open mind but I suspect I will want to revert back to the XP way of thinking.  I'm sure there will be some frustration involved but that's ok.  Will let you know how it goes.

Dave
KC9RAK

You have to forget old ways and learn new. It does make sense with time.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2013, 12:19:53 PM »

JX,  now I understand!  Sorry I missed your point the first couple of hundred times you said it.  Thanks for setting all of us straight  Roll Eyes

73 de wb0ksl, John
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2013, 09:46:27 AM »

JX,  now I understand!  Sorry I missed your point the first couple of hundred times you said it.  Thanks for setting all of us straight  Roll Eyes

73 de wb0ksl, John

Not a couple hundred but several times for sure. Either you keep up with changes and advances in technology or fall behind its your choice.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2013, 12:43:25 PM »

JX...Now, several times plus one more.  You are right about at least one thing, it is my choice.

73 de wb0ksl, John
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2013, 05:13:14 AM »

Then they started stocking up on spare Windows 7 install disks and replacing our XP systems and the few Vista systems left with Windows 7 systems

it's somewhat surprising, - just how many IT dept, - that are actually doing that,
especially while a copy of win 7 is still be found ..

- whether they are right, or whether they should have  'just pushed on'  with the later offering from M$,
remains to be seen .. ..
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2013, 05:30:44 AM »

One thing also to consider is the with XP, MS did not place much focus on security in its design and it was full of holes still being found today that MS will stop plugging in a few months. They did focus a bit more with Vista and again with 7. Now with 8 they have increased focus on security even more which should be a factor to consider as well.

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2013, 02:40:12 PM »

Dave
KC9RAK

You have to forget old ways and learn new. It does make sense with time.

Nobody 'has' to use Windows 8 and there is significant resistance to it.  Hell, in the old days you 'had' to buy an IBM, then you 'had' to get a Sun server, then you 'had' to buy an SGI for your 3d rendering work...

Time marches on and it eats tech companies alive, especially if they think they are invincible.  MS survived as long as they have because they were dictating many of the standards.  This isn't true any more.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2013, 05:46:47 PM »

Time marches on and it eats tech companies alive, especially if they think they are invincible.  MS survived as long as they have because they were dictating many of the standards.  This isn't true any more.

But not to defend MS but they are not trying to set the standard today as much as adapting to it. If they stayed in Win 7x mind set hoping for the status quo PC to survive they would indeed die one day with PC. I like being able to use a Win 8x tablet or phone on the fly and have it automatically share it with PC and from PC to other devices. This is not possible in old school Win 7x world.

ILDARIN

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »

But not to defend MS but they are not trying to set the standard today as much as adapting to it. If they stayed in Win 7x mind set hoping for the status quo PC to survive they would indeed die one day with PC. I like being able to use a Win 8x tablet or phone on the fly and have it automatically share it with PC and from PC to other devices. This is not possible in old school Win 7x world.

I don't need a smartphone.  I don't need a tablet (I have one, but it's only useful as an e-reader.)

I need a computer I can use.  That means a 27" or bigger monitor, a full-size keyboard, a trackball, a pen tablet, a 3 TB hard drive, and software that won't run on Android or "in the cloud".

There are plenty of folks who can use tablets.  They're not scientists, engineers, or graphic artists.
They are the folks whose DVRs still flash "12:00".

I guess I'm being forced to go to Linux.  That's probably a Good Thing.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2013, 07:03:38 AM »

Most people aren't complaining about Windows 8 because of the inter-operability with Windows telephone and Windows tablets. This feature is great if you have several Windows devices and that's what you want.

Most people complaining about Windows 8 on the desktop PC are power users and are complaining because MS made the tablet UI, aka Metro, the standard across all platforms. The touch screen interface on the desktop makes no sense. It's terrible ergonomically: Your finger is not a precise pointer, your hand obscures the screen when you touching a widget, you will quickly fatigue your shoulder if you keep reaching the for the screen, the monitor has to be close enough to reach (I like to keep it further back so I can spread out papers in front of me), and on and on.

Had Microsoft released Windows 8 with the Windows 7 UI as the default with Metro as an option then I am quite sure we would be seeing much better sales. Anecdotally the XYL and I purchased new computers this year after having upgraded our older PCs to Windows 7 the prior year knowing that XP would soon loose MS support. On phones and tablets we are wedded to Android on Samsung devices. We gave Windows 8 a spin in VMWare and  both found it a bit confusing and changed for the sake of change so we decided to skip Windows 8. The XYL uses Windows to run her law practice and doesn't have time to learn a new UI when the old one works just fine; piddling around on the computer is not billable time. I managed to get her a laptop on closeout with Windows 7 already installed and I got a Linux compatible laptop and run Windows 7 in VMWare when I need a Windows app. We won't be purchasing any new Windows OS's until probably Windows 9, assuming that they restore the Windows 7 UI in full or there is an add-on like Start8 with a 100% Windows 7 implementation that get's the XYL's approval.

Ray AG6WT
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2013, 10:09:32 AM »

Most people aren't complaining about Windows 8 because of the inter-operability with Windows telephone and Windows tablets. This feature is great if you have several Windows devices and that's what you want.

Most people complaining about Windows 8 on the desktop PC are power users and are complaining because MS made the tablet UI, aka Metro, the standard across all platforms. The touch screen interface on the desktop makes no sense. It's terrible ergonomically: Your finger is not a precise pointer, your hand obscures the screen when you touching a widget, you will quickly fatigue your shoulder if you keep reaching the for the screen, the monitor has to be close enough to reach (I like to keep it further back so I can spread out papers in front of me), and on and on.

Had Microsoft released Windows 8 with the Windows 7 UI as the default with Metro as an option then I am quite sure we would be seeing much better sales. Anecdotally the XYL and I purchased new computers this year after having upgraded our older PCs to Windows 7 the prior year knowing that XP would soon loose MS support. On phones and tablets we are wedded to Android on Samsung devices. We gave Windows 8 a spin in VMWare and  both found it a bit confusing and changed for the sake of change so we decided to skip Windows 8. The XYL uses Windows to run her law practice and doesn't have time to learn a new UI when the old one works just fine; piddling around on the computer is not billable time. I managed to get her a laptop on closeout with Windows 7 already installed and I got a Linux compatible laptop and run Windows 7 in VMWare when I need a Windows app. We won't be purchasing any new Windows OS's until probably Windows 9, assuming that they restore the Windows 7 UI in full or there is an add-on like Start8 with a 100% Windows 7 implementation that get's the XYL's approval.

Ray AG6WT

No I think they did right defaulting to Metro. Metro needs work but its time to get away from 15+ year old mouse menu. Soon all laptops will be touch screen and soon desktops too. Time to go to next level of interactivity. The next step after this will be all voice input but it is not mature yet. Maybe windows 10

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »

No I think they did right defaulting to Metro. Metro needs work but its time to get away from 15+ year old mouse menu. Soon all laptops will be touch screen and soon desktops too. Time to go to next level of interactivity. The next step after this will be all voice input but it is not mature yet. Maybe windows 10

This is their problem - Metro doesn't actually help get anything done.  It is understandable why they are trying to force users onto Metro, though - Metro applications are sold through the MS online store and this could mean that, like Apple, they will collect revenue on every application sold.

I do not see touch or voice input helping many of the workers out there.  OS X has had full voice control since 10.1 (over a decade) and while it works very well, it is usually just quicker to use a hockey combination or to flick the mouse over somewhere.  OS X even has full dictation as well, and while it is very accurate it's still faster for me to type.

If I was physically unable to use a mouse and keyboard, though, I could still use OS X.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2013, 02:44:12 PM »

This is their problem - Metro doesn't actually help get anything done.  It is understandable why they are trying to force users onto Metro, though - Metro applications are sold through the MS online store and this could mean that, like Apple, they will collect revenue on every application sold.

Metro is the shell but none the less there is a LOT of free true Metro apps. Also, you can lauch legacy apps from metro too with a click or touch.

I do not see touch or voice input helping many of the workers out there.  OS X has had full voice control since 10.1 (over a decade) and while it works very well, it is usually just quicker to use a hockey combination or to flick the mouse over somewhere.  OS X even has full dictation as well, and while it is very accurate it's still faster for me to type.

PC's have had voice control available for longer than Macs but none of them is what I call fully mature yet. Laptops and tablets will soon have the computational power for proper voice control. You always have and always will be able to get far more computational power per dollar on PC platform than Mac and same in Tablet world. This cpu "power" is important to provide proper sampling to recognize voices accurately and in real time as easily as you and I. Its coming soon. 

If I was physically unable to use a mouse and keyboard, though, I could still use OS X.

PC's have had this longer.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: