Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats going on with the Kenwood 990 ?  (Read 12616 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2013, 02:14:17 PM »

I just got off of the phone with a friend/ham that I have not talked to in at least 9 months and during the middle of the discussion he casually mentioned that he had bought a Kenwood 990.  I paused for a second and said What!!  You got a 990 that's fantastic, you must be in heaven!   He replied yeah it's ok, it's not bad, etc etc. (in a dull unexcited tone).  I asked him if there was something wrong with it and he said no it's ok. 

I have talked to two other 990 owners on the air and they also sounded a bit reserved about the radio, not something you expect from Hams but hey I thought maybe these guys just wanted to be modest.  The thing is I really prodded my friend on the phone and the only one who sounded excited about the 990 was me.

So what's up with this great looking nice sounding radio, why are so many owners so silent about this lovely looking piece of gear, is there a problem, is it unintuitive in nature, a pain to use, what?  I also have seen one on eBay and one on QTH for sale at about $1000+ less than the listed price.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 05:32:47 AM »

Could it be that expectations about the new Kenwood--that has been hinted at and talked about for too long--was somewhat greater than the product that was finally delivered?  Maybe the rig IS superior to older Kenwoods, but the purchasers expected more?

When a manufacturer says that a new rig is coming, then makes the ham populace wait several years for it, hams that expect some new technological wonder can be disappointed that the promised rig is not that wonder rig they expected.  73!
M6YDB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 08:29:30 AM »

Maybe their XYL's have found out how much they spent on it!
K6RIM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »

Well, a lot of folks don't want to be bragging on their radios.

I have owned the 990 for around 6 months and rate it a 5/5. If you are interested in my evaluation of the 990, read my eHam review. And if you'd like additional reviews, there are 40+ reviews on eHam.

The fact that you see a few for sale does not necessarily suggest anything negative about the radio. There are lots of other possible reasons for sale.

Al, K6RIM

I just got off of the phone with a friend/ham that I have not talked to in at least 9 months and during the middle of the discussion he casually mentioned that he had bought a Kenwood 990.  I paused for a second and said What!!  You got a 990 that's fantastic, you must be in heaven!   He replied yeah it's ok, it's not bad, etc etc. (in a dull unexcited tone).  I asked him if there was something wrong with it and he said no it's ok. 

I have talked to two other 990 owners on the air and they also sounded a bit reserved about the radio, not something you expect from Hams but hey I thought maybe these guys just wanted to be modest.  The thing is I really prodded my friend on the phone and the only one who sounded excited about the 990 was me.

So what's up with this great looking nice sounding radio, why are so many owners so silent about this lovely looking piece of gear, is there a problem, is it unintuitive in nature, a pain to use, what?  I also have seen one on eBay and one on QTH for sale at about $1000+ less than the listed price.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 06:16:05 PM »

I see the great reviews, but what I find strange is the whole lack of enthusiasm the owners seem to have.
Even in that famous thread where one guy was saying the K3 is a better Radio than a 990 I saw only one 990 owner show up to say anything and his response was a bit tepid.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 07:09:38 PM »

Obviously, amateur radios overall have reached a level that is going to be difficult to surpass with more knobs, buttons and displays.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 09:49:34 PM »

When the phase noise performance hits -150dbc/hz I will wake up and start taking notice of 5/5 reviews and claims about performance.
On paper the TS590s is actually just as good as the TS990S and in some measurements better in performance. I suppose it must have 9000
dollars worth of better performance that you cant measure!

You notice how everyone brags about this and that radio and when you look at the dismal phase noise performance  and wonder how can they make such
ridiculous claims about the performance. I guess there are a lot of ham shoppers who have no clues how a receiver and even a transmitter works.

I bought it must be 5/5  despite what the science tell us. But its OK next will be the Kenwood TS1090 and it will have the same  below average phase noise performance and below average transmitter IMD and it will still be a 5/5 radio!
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »

Never used a 990 but I saw one when Kenwood introduced it at Dayton in 2012. It was in a Plexiglas display case and according to the Kenwood rep was one of two in existence at that time.
My first impression was "I'm going to need a bigger desk".

WB2EOD
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 06:42:20 PM »

Not everyone brags, and not everyone is excited about making you jealous.  I wouldn't read too much into your anecdotal encounters. 

Most people who purchase expensive radios either stick with them because they like (or love) them, or they get rid of them and try something else.  That's what you should be watching for.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 01:34:29 PM »

The reciever test data told me everything I need to know about the TS-990. The fact that it doesn't have an identical sub reciever is even more shocking. I have very little to complain about the 590s reciever for its price point however if I am going to spend $10k on a radio I don't want it to have the middle of the road sub reciever.

Kenwood had a long time to make this radio perfect, they missed the mark on this one.

Also is it true that there is no IF out on the 990  Shocked
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 01:56:01 PM by AD9DX » Logged

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 10:30:40 PM »

Face it; amateur radio technology is reaching the top of the asymptotic curve.  We have reached the limits of minimum discernible signal, and basic filtering.  The small differences between rigs are unimportant.  Designers are left to fiddle with displays, knobs and controls. 
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 01:53:27 AM »

I beg to differ on that.
The analog side may have reached its limits but the DSP side of things has just begun and that may have a serious impact on reception as Dedicated DSP chips evolve.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 01:26:51 PM »

I beg to differ on that.
The analog side may have reached its limits but the DSP side of things has just begun and that may have a serious impact on reception as Dedicated DSP chips evolve.

I agree with this.  DSP will revolutionize ham radio in much the same way as solid state finals did. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
M6YDB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 01:04:09 PM »

DSP technology has been in rigs for years.  Even IF DSP's have been around since the mid 90's so I do not agree that they are the future of transceiver technology.

The issue is that due to the inherent limited market for transceivers product lifecycles are very long - much much longer than for 'normal' consumer electronics.  Kenwood for example did not release a new rig for around 7 years and with that kind of rate of release we will be waiting decades for DSP and other technology to catch up with say smartphones, tablets etc.

The future for transceivers in my opinion is SDR.  The basics of a good SDR rig are already quite mature and the product development and distribution costs of software to increase feature count, improve performance etc is way below that of hardware.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 10:39:13 PM »

If and when the kind of DSP chips that are used by high end decoding systems like the ones they use at the FAA come down into the price range that can be used by consumers it will allow ops to filter out almost all the noise and leave behind a readable signal. DSP has been around for years but when I compare a older chipset like the proiii to a 7600 it's night and day. Just imagine 64 bits and ten times faster clock speeds and you will be able to remove so much more QRN.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: