Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 meter antenna ideas  (Read 12785 times)
KB2FCV

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2013, 05:01:02 AM »

Hi Folks,
My HF antenna is currently a 102ft dipole antenna fed entirely to a tuner with 600 ohm feed line. It's up about 60ft. It works pretty well 80-15m but on 10m, it doesn't hear much on 10m. I'd like to build a separate 10 meter antenna but I'm wondering what will give me the "best bang for the buck". While I'd love a tower and a beam.. that's not quite in the cards. I'm thinking of a monoband vertical... either on the ground.. up in the trees or on the roof? I'm also open to some wire antenna ideas. My lot is fairly small but I figure a 10m antenna is quite small so I have some room to play with. My goal is to work DXCC on 10m towards my 5BDXCC... with my current antenna I don't see that happening. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
James KB2FCV
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 05:41:23 AM »

All time best wire 10m antenna I used was a 10m delta loop fed with 50 ohm coax using a 75 ohm coax quarter wave transformer to match the swr. Hung it near horizontal about a wavelength up.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 07:26:27 AM »

I use a Solorcon A-99 vertical antenna for 10 and also works for 15. It is originally for 11 meters but works very good on 10 also. It is 18 feet tall and has 4 radials comming off the bottom of it. They sell new for 69 dollars and 40 dollars for the radial kit. Works good for me. Good luck and 73 Jim W5JJG
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 08:13:29 AM »

Here's a vertical with 4 dBi gain at TOA=10 deg, on 10m. (With an autotuner at the feedpoint, it is a multi-band antenna for 40m-10m.)

However, if one wanted to turn it into a single-band 10m antenna, one would only need to add a base loading coil of approximately 1-2 uH to achieve an SWR of around 1.7:1. For a perfect SWR, one could tap down on the coil to the 50 ohm value.

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
KD8TFG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 08:59:37 AM »

I use a Solorcon A-99 vertical antenna for 10 and also works for 15. It is originally for 11 meters but works very good on 10 also. It is 18 feet tall and has 4 radials comming off the bottom of it. They sell new for 69 dollars and 40 dollars for the radial kit. Works good for me. Good luck and 73 Jim W5JJG

I use the A-99 with a MFJ-949 tuner and can cover 10-20m with excellent results and for $69 am very happy
MM0ZBH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 09:16:14 AM »

Today probably some wet string would be ok... Wink
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 07:18:14 AM »

The deltaloop sounds like it could be a fun project, I've never tried a deltaloop before. I have plenty of wire, insulators, rope and coax laying around itching to get used.. I think I've found my next HF antenna project!
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »

I use a home brewed ground plane on 17 meters. I used the driven element from a 20 meter mono band yagi I bought dirt cheap. 3 ground plane radials make up the other half of the antenna.

I have it mounted right up the middle of a 35 foot maple tree, the base of the antenna is 16 feet off the ground.

It is a simple antenna, easy to build. Works very well for what it is. I will build one for 12 meters before the snow flies.

A delta loop will work very well too. I used the GP design for 17 as I had 3 easy to reach tie off spots for the radials.

Some days you don't need much of an antenna when 10 meters is open!
WA2OMU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 11:43:58 AM »

10 meter antennas can be $$$.  CB antennas are much less $$.

I took one of those ground planes with the 3 steeply drooping radials, the one with the brace from the support pole to each radial, and shortened each element 6.5 inches.  1.2:1 at resonance, right at 28.45.

This was mounted about 25 feet up at the feed point - nothing spectacular, just some TV mast on the garage end peak.

Fed it with about 80 feet of Times FM-8 (for runner of LMR-400) and worked the world.

Gone, now.  Age and 2 ice storms did it in.  Would I do it again?  yeah - just gimme a good sunspot peak for an excuse...

Advantages:

Inexpensive
Omni pattern
Low angle of radiation.

Disadvantages

None that I can think of.   I don't do 10 meter FM, the antenna would have to be shortened a bit more for that.

I also have a 3 element CB beam hanging in the garage for 'that day' when I can retune it to 10 when I put my tower up...  some day...  That beam cost me less than 1/3 of what a 10 meter one would have.  NO problemo to rotate it to horizontal, either.

Why?  Dunno - maybe because of sales volumes?  Do their sales people even know?  Dunno...  Born again CB antennas work fine on 10.  Without much work, either.

My current antenna is an 80 - 40 trap dipole at a whopping 25 feet, Ferrite Choke balun at the feed point, 85 feet of LMR-400 and an LDG Auto-tuner for 60 and 30 - 10.  The LMR-400 is low enuf loss that I don't worry about it with the hi SWR on the other bands.  I do just fine with my FT-817 and Z-11 tuner on 10.  Worked some good DX on 10 with this recent (rather poor) sunspot peak, too.

It don't have to be (undefinable) optimum.  It just has to work.  If you are making contacts, it works.

Jerry  wa2omu

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 12:29:24 PM »

The delta loop would be a good start, especially if you can get it high enough in
the trees.  Best configuration would be with the point down and the top wire strung
between two supports, fed in the bottom corner.  If you only have one support then
a diamond or a delta with the point up are reasonable alternatives.  Feed it in the
bottom center in any case (unless it is very low - under 15' perhaps.)

By adjusting the proportions of the loop you can vary the feedpoint impedance to
improve the SWR (assuming you've already adjusted the circumference of the loop
for resonance in your desired portion of the band.  By making the loop a tall and narrow
rectangle (about twice as high as it is wide) and feeding in the middle of the bottom
wire you can get a pretty good match to 50 ohms.  http://kt4qw.com/acan1.htm

JA1HWO's "Sky Door" is an extension of this principle:  http://mk1502.web.fc2.com/antmenu.htm
(If you use Babelfish to translate the Japanese text it may take some creativity to
interpret the result...)

Even a simple wire dipole can work well at 60'.

There are various wire antennas that can provide gain, but they also will have
more directivity, so you need to know what direction to point them in.  Here
are some possible options: 
http://www.i1wqrlinkradio.com/antype/ch17/chiave47.htm

I used a Bisquare years ago on 20m and 10m with good results.  It has a high
impedance feedpoint, but a quarter wavelength of 300 ohm twinlead brought
it down to a reasonable value for coax.

Of course you can also build something like a 2-element quad and hoist it
up into the trees, possibly even rotating it manually as desired.

My recommendation is to put pulleys and halyards up to make it easy to
experiment with antennas, then start with something relatively simple and
build up to more elaborate designs as you get more experience and a better
idea of what works best at your location and what directions give you the
most interesting contacts.  Aiming for Europe is a good place to start, then
South America and the Caribbean, then Australia, New Zealand, Asia, etc.
Even if you can't rotate the antenna in real time, you can build a directional
antenna that you can lower to the ground, clip the support ropes onto
different points, and raise back up again to move it in steps within a few
minutes, depending where the band is open.
W6OP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 03:14:52 PM »

Try a Moxon, about the same gain as a 2 element  Yagi and doesn't take up much space, roughly a 12 foot by 4 foot rectangle. I have one at 17 feet with an unguyed mast and rotate it manually. Here in CA the propagation usually follows the sun so I point it towards the EU in the morning, SA around noon and the pacific in the afternoon. Don't really need to move it much.

Got my 10M DXCC in one year with it.

I built mine based on a PAR 6 Meter Moxon but if you search for the Moxon Project on google you will find all kinds of plans for making one. Also look at the Aug. 2009 QST, it has plans.

Pete W6OP
K3NB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 03:30:42 PM »

This might interest you.  I'm working on a 3 element mini yagi using MFJ "hamsticks,"  thanks to some earlier work done by VE6VK and documented esewhere.  I threw this together last weekend and finally got some time to test it this afternoon.  Needless to say, I was pleased with the results.  I'm currently playing around with trimming a 4 element fan dipole (80-40-20-10) out in my yard and think I'll likely be using this for a while until I get the complete 3 element unit up on the roof.  With something like this, and a ten foot piece of PVC you could set up on a beach, a rooftop, or, 6 feet atop a lamp post and the elements change out easily and quickly.

I started with 14.175 as mid band, then sketched out a curve for the SWR across the entire band.  Pretty happy with it where it's at, will do some - more - fine tuning later.

"Every man, woman, and responsible child has an unalienable individual, civil, Constitutional, and human right to obtain, own, and carry, openly or concealed, any weapon -- rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything -- any time, any place, without asking anyone's permission." - L. Niel Smith
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 08:29:13 AM »

I use nothing more than a 10 meter FOLDED dipole made out of ladder line and fed with twin lead.  Nice and light, and with a tuner it covers the entire band.  It is at about 45 feet, with the ocasional good conditions we have had recently WAZ has not been a problem. 
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 09:37:48 PM »

Hi Folks,
My HF antenna is currently a 102ft dipole antenna fed entirely to a tuner with 600 ohm feed line. It's up about 60ft. It works pretty well 80-15m but on 10m, it doesn't hear much on 10m. I'd like to build a separate 10 meter antenna but I'm wondering what will give me the "best bang for the buck". While I'd love a tower and a beam.. that's not quite in the cards. I'm thinking of a monoband vertical... either on the ground.. up in the trees or on the roof? I'm also open to some wire antenna ideas. My lot is fairly small but I figure a 10m antenna is quite small so I have some room to play with. My goal is to work DXCC on 10m towards my 5BDXCC... with my current antenna I don't see that happening. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
James KB2FCV
Why not just simply add a separate 10 meter wire dipole, to your existing antenna ?
Trust me, a simple resonant 10 meter dipole at 60 feet (nearly 2 wavelengths at 10 meters) will be a killer DX Antenna.

KC7YE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 07:12:20 AM »

1: Add 2nd wire to existing.
2: Delta Loop, any configuration.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: