Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Logger for General and Contesting  (Read 12247 times)
KI4DSC

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2013, 11:37:15 AM »

For the past few years I have used Ham Radio Deluxe mainly for the logging program.   I liked that it interfaced with my radio so I didn’t have to type in the band and mode when entering contacts.  That feature was nice but not required.
The big thing I am looking for in a logging program is that it will upload automatically to LoTW and I subscribe to the XML feed on QRZ so I would like my logging program to be able to use that feed to auto populate based on the call I enter.
The reason I am looking for a new logging program is simply this.  After being a loyal user of HRD for the last few years I thought I would try the new HRD v.6.  It came with a 30 day trial.  Before I downloaded it, I e-mailed the folks at HRD and asked if I would be able to go back to my v.5 if chose not to upgrade after the 30 days.  I was told yes. 
When I installed the v.6 HRD it asked me in the install process if I wanted to keep my existing files in tact; naturally I answered yes and the install completed.  Now that the 30 days is up, not only am I completely locked out of HRD, but I cannot figure out how to reactivate HRD v.5 and my e-mail to HRD website contact goes un-answered. 
Thankfully I do back up my logs but HRD has put a bad taste in my mouth and I think I will look else ware.

Does anyone use a logging program that they want to recommend to me that will at the very least interface with the xml feed to auto populate?
I don’t want to spend a fortune on the software, but I am not looking for a free hand out ether.  I don’t mind paying for a well built program.

K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 05:48:05 PM »

http://www.pisto.it/wordpress/category/log4om/

Log4OM is the "new kid on the block", but it is a great program that is under active development.  It doesn't try to do everything, but rather to simply do the things it does better than anyone else.

Dave
K3DCW
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 09:34:25 PM »

For the past few years I have used Ham Radio Deluxe mainly for the logging program.   I liked that it interfaced with my radio so I didn’t have to type in the band and mode when entering contacts.  That feature was nice but not required.
The big thing I am looking for in a logging program is that it will upload automatically to LoTW and I subscribe to the XML feed on QRZ so I would like my logging program to be able to use that feed to auto populate based on the call I enter.
The reason I am looking for a new logging program is simply this.  After being a loyal user of HRD for the last few years I thought I would try the new HRD v.6.  It came with a 30 day trial.  Before I downloaded it, I e-mailed the folks at HRD and asked if I would be able to go back to my v.5 if chose not to upgrade after the 30 days.  I was told yes. 
When I installed the v.6 HRD it asked me in the install process if I wanted to keep my existing files in tact; naturally I answered yes and the install completed.  Now that the 30 days is up, not only am I completely locked out of HRD, but I cannot figure out how to reactivate HRD v.5 and my e-mail to HRD website contact goes un-answered. 
Thankfully I do back up my logs but HRD has put a bad taste in my mouth and I think I will look else ware.

Does anyone use a logging program that they want to recommend to me that will at the very least interface with the xml feed to auto populate?
I don’t want to spend a fortune on the software, but I am not looking for a free hand out ether.  I don’t mind paying for a well built program.

Use dxlabs DX Keeper.   It's great for everything but contesting.   Use n1mm for contesting and import into dx keeper when done.  It will look up all the data on the call signs when importing, then you can press a button an upload to LOTW etc.   Both are free.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »

Last night I figured I'd had enough FUN with the JARTS RTTY contest (managed to work some EU SSB LP on 10M  during the WAG contest - wrote those down on a note pad - didn't want to get out of N1MM) - so when I was done - I exported the N1MM contest ADIF and loaded up DXKeeper.   It's setup to fill in all the blanks when importing a file so I let it do it's thing.

I had 3 errors that I fixed and then uploaded to LOTW and eQSL by clicking on two buttons.   One that finds those not in the system and the other to proceed with the upload.

I also updated Clublog.org which I use to print out the QSL Chart so I can keep track of DXCC on paper.   It will automatically update Clublog but I like to do a clean upload once in a while.

Use - DXLab software (DXKeeper for logging, Winwarbler for Digital playing around (load in 2TONE a must!) and use N1MM / MMTTY with 2Tone as well for contests.   Use Clublog to identify errors and show DXCC etc.   

We are lucky this stuff is available for free / donation. 

(I have no affiliation with any of the above... Grin   Just a very happy camper)
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 12:05:38 PM »

Tim did email you. All you have to do is reinstall version 5.X. All your data is still there for both 5 and 6.

Check your junkmail folder...  it was sent...
W0GXA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 06:50:15 PM »

I like N3FJP Amateur Contact Log.  Super simple but capable program.  Very easy interface to LoTW and it will access QRZ.com.  Great support from the users group and Scott, the author.  It's not free but I'm very happy with it.  You can run it 45 days at no cost so give it a try.

FYI: We (Collins Radio club stations) used this logging program for our special event operation last month.  3000 QSOs, several dozen operators and we zero issues.  I was the designated "telephone support" and no one needed help.  The opened the program and could use it from the start.
KA7RRA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 07:41:03 PM »

I also vote,and use N3FJP  it is a very good program  can't beat it
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 08:09:02 AM »

I will 3rd N3FJP. I used that exclusively before HRD. N3FJP is very easy to use and intuitive. Unlike HRD (older versions) which had no easy no QSL support, N3FJP has it natively. It runs on very lightweight machines without a glitch. Its simple and purrs nicely.

The one area HRD wins is in interconnecting everything. If you are a satellite or digital op or you cannot live without a computer controlling the rig and rotor you will miss the ease of integration HRD offers. If you are not, then you won't notice much. You will really enjoy a simple logger at a great price.
K4RUM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »

I 4th N3FJP's logging software.  It is very intuitive and Scott's support is without equal.
EA4TA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 01:25:30 PM »

Windows: Logger32 + N1MM
Unix: CQRLOG + N1MM in Wine.
K0HB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 07:14:52 PM »

I use Log4OM.  Does all the things you want, easy to learn, and not a lot exotic extras.

For contesting I use WriteLog, mainly because it is so similar to my old DOS friend CT.

73, de Hans, K0HB

KC9QQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 05:20:28 AM »

Use dxlabs DX Keeper.   It's great for everything but contesting.   Use n1mm for contesting and import into dx keeper when done.  It will look up all the data on the call signs when importing, then you can press a button an upload to LOTW etc.   Both are free.

I agree with this post.  I also started with HRD a few years ago.  However, once I started chasing DX I was looking for a logging program that could do a better job tracking progress and tracking paper QSL, LoTW, OQRS and eQSL requests and confirmations.

I decided to give DX Lab a try.  DX Lab is a suite of programs that knit together seamlessly.  You can choose which programs you want to run at any given time and they will automatically pass information between each other providing a very nice operating environment.

It took me a little while to become comfortable with the setup and operation of DX Lab, but once I figured out the basics I realized what a wonderful logging program it is.  DX Lab goes a step further when Spot Collector (one of the DX Lab family of programs) is running.  Spot Collector shows you which DX spots you should try to QSO (by color coding them) to move closer to earning your selected awards.

Some of my observations of DX Lab are:

1.  Excellent support via the Yahoo group.  Answers from the software developer, Dave, often occur within hours
2.  Takes quite a bit of screen real-estate  but it can be configured to work with multiple monitors.
3.  The seamless integration of the software components allows you to pick and choose which components you want to run.  Also, it has an open programming interface so many of your favorite programs (DM780, Flidigi,  N1MM etc)  can work directly with DX Lab.
4.  It does a fantastic job tracking award status (DXCC, WAS, WAZ, WPX etc)  It can tell you which contacts require confirmations in order move to closer to a given award.
5.  Interfaces to multiple radios and can keep track of which QSOs are made by each radio
6.  Works with Winkey
7.  Not as pretty of user interface as HRD, but overall the interface is more flexible.
8.  Its FREE
9.  There is a bit of a learning curve but there are many people on the Yahoo group that will help

I could add to this list but I should probably allow space for others to weigh in.

Fred, KC9QQ
ZL3IO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 08:10:15 PM »

UCX Log from DL7UCX.
It does normal QSO's and contesting.
Has all the features you mentioned and everything the others do.

It is shareware and 20 Euro for 2 years come for the cloud service of your logs.
Use it wherever you want club, home, friend and it automatically updates your log at the current local pc active.

73 Holger, ZL3IO
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »

I use Logic, currently Logic9 for everythi g except contesting and it does have a contesting mode which autofills in data from earlier contests in its global database, N1MM is better for the serious contester but Logic9 does an excellent job for the casual contester. It does a very comprehensive job in keeping track of about every kind of award and how you are keeping records. For instance, How many of your confirmed qsos are in LOTW and with card. You then can have a printed record showing a preference of cards over LOTW or vice versa so you can present which ever you chose for awards. Same with IOTA or whichever you choose to chase. You can even create your own entity to track a new award not in the database.

Its somewhat pricey but is updated frequently and it does a fine job and it covers about all the award & tracking bases.

Gary
KA1J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: