Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FIX FOR TS-590S ALC OVERSHOOT  (Read 8153 times)
K3LRH

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2014, 04:14:23 PM »

.....Has anyone come up with a fix for the well documented ALC overshoot problem...a.k.a. "power spike"... for the Kenwood TS-590S?  I have had mine for over three years and Kenwood does not seem to care about customer service, in my opinion.  Thanks for your input.  73
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 09:09:58 AM »

Hi K3LRH

As I understand from TS590 Yahoo group, that Kenwood is buisy in making the mod.
they are not in a hurry , and no -one has found another decent mod yet.

Would be nice if they would publish the mod, but i think it is not an easy mod otherwise they would have published a a long time ago.

Icom had a problem like this with the IC7410, and they had to redesign the main board in the radio, I think it will not be an easy mod in the Kenwood.

73 Jos
K3LRH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:27:06 AM »

....Hi Jos,

That's what I have read, but I see no evidence from Kenwood confirming it.  I have had my '590 for over three years, and still no official word from Kenwood.

GL with yours ....if you still have it.

ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 12:45:52 PM »

For me, I have decided that I cannot be bothered to buy a TS590, I know they are much lauded as this and that, but when I hear of all the concerns re overshoot, dodgy encoder, etc.

I sat down and thought what do i really need, and decided that a TS590 was not it.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 07:04:23 AM »

BBW,
The same here with me, I have been looking at the 590 for 2 years now and held off on buying it because of the noted problems until they fix them. But it looks like they are not going to do anything about it. I have called Kenwood and talked to them about it and both times they said "what problems" They deny that anything is even wrong with the radio. I was talking to the tech who works on them ??  Oh well, I will continue to shop around.  73  Jim W5JJG
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 08:22:12 AM »

For me, I have decided that I cannot be bothered to buy a TS590, I know they are much lauded as this and that, but when I hear of all the concerns re overshoot, dodgy encoder, etc.

I sat down and thought what do i really need, and decided that a TS590 was not it.

Hello Gavin,

I bought a TS-590s a few months ago and haven't had any problems with it but then again I don't have an amp. However, I never heard anything about an encoder problem. Can you tell what you've heard about that?

Ray AG6WT
K3LRH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 08:57:34 AM »

......GAVIN, I think the Kenwood TS-590S encoder failure incidence is very low and no worse than any other modern day transceiver.  I have had my '590 for over three years, and no encoder problems.  OTH, the Yaesu radio that I have need two of them replaced.

ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 11:59:15 AM »

For me it is not just the ALC issue, the encoder was a comment passed regarding one in a 990 and I hope that the 590 lasts longer than that one did.

There is NO kenwood support in NZ, so whatever happens it has to be shipped out of country, cost + customs hassle.

The following are more generic comments.

I sat down and decided what did I want in a piece of gear.
I do not operate phone, so all the expense of Eq's and blah blah is waste of dollars.
I do not need internal keyers, I use WkUSB.
I do not need 6M.
I do not need an Internal ATU.
ETC.

What do I need, is a good piece of gear that has nice sounding cw, that has reasonable close in performance.

Anyway a a trip down sherwoods list soon revealed some more economical albeit older solutions.

So called QSK is vastly overated in my opinion, if I want true QSK I will put another beam up at the end of the property 800m away for receiving.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 05:05:18 AM »

Hi zl1bbw

I think that a TS480 with narrow CW filter would be an excelent choise for you.
Advantages of audio DSP against IF DSP very simple if the DSP doesn't do a good job you can switch the audio DSP off and just go on with your classical filters.

I had a ft920 and still have a FT857D both do not have power spike issues in CW and SSB.
Both do not have the static issues in RX as the TS590.
Both had lots of SSB talk power.

I think if you live in a quit surounding and do not have many big guns around.
almost every modern rig with a bit decent front end will do.
Rigs like FT920 TS570 TS480 or IC756, IC746 etc will do nicely.

Do not think that I can hear much more stations on my TS590 as with my FT857D.
Only in very crowded contest bands you will notice any difference.

73 Jos

K3LRH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 04:14:53 PM »

.......Kenwood has announced a repair for the ALC problem.  In or out of warranty, no difference.  Thank you Kenwood!  Certain rigs....Google it.   73
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 04:55:53 PM »

Googled it, went to their website, still can't find it. Please provide link. Hardware or software upload fix?
AD0GI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 01:13:58 PM »

This is taken from one of the Yahoo TS-590s groups:

======================================

Attention all Kenwood Dealers,

We understand that there are TS-590S owners that are still having problems with the ALC spike issue, even after a firmware upgrade lowered the spike. If you have a customer with an amp that is shutting off and going into standby please share this info with them. The radio must be sent to a Kenwood Service center for the modification, it takes approximately 1.5 hours to complete and takes several parts, it is not doable by the end user.

There is no charge for this modification, in or out of warranty.

Kenwood will pay the return shipping from the service center.

The owner pays for shipping to the service center, and we take care of the rest!

The U.S. service centers will be ready to perform the modification in late April.

Serial number range: B09xxxxx to B3Cxxxxx

From SN B4100001 the modification has been applied.

Thanks for your support.
Kenwood USA

Here is the Service Centers information for Amateur Radio Products

KENWOOD AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER - PACIFIC
19501 East Walnut Drive South
CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA 91748
Phone: 626-333-2443
http://fthgroupinc.com   

KENWOOD AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER - EAST
829 LYNNHAVEN PARKWAY #130
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA 23452-7224
Phone: 757-340-1702
http://www.avsl.net

==================================

And, according to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/ts-590s.htm, SN B4100001 and later are all made in 2014 so the mod is a solution for 2013 and earlier rigs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: