Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar, am I on th right track?  (Read 22577 times)
KD0PGM

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 06:57:07 PM »

Hmmm, nothing since the 10th of December...  I hope you didn't connect your radio to the "load" terminals on the controller.  You don't want your radio to draw power thru the charge controller.

Is this really true?  What are the "load" terminals for then?
KD0WZW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 06:58:52 AM »

you can run off of them, but at limited amperage.  It's much better to just hook direct to the battery bank.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2014, 08:52:18 AM »

Hmmm, nothing since the 10th of December...  I hope you didn't connect your radio to the "load" terminals on the controller.  You don't want your radio to draw power thru the charge controller.

Lights and fans.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 12:25:05 PM »

Lights and fans.

Some also have a low voltage disconnect and even dusk-to-dawn switching based on solar voltage.
KG6YSF

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2014, 09:59:42 PM »

Okay sorry it has been so long. I did not connect the radio to the load terminal of the charge control. I have how ever been using the radios quite a bit. I was able to use them during a day and a half without power. That is exactly why I wanted it on solar. The solar panel does a very reasonable job keeping up with the load consumption. I average about 3 hrs radio time a day and the battery is always usably charged.
I am going to add two more batteries this summer. Hopefully in the fall a second identical panel. We do have a average of 3 to 4 times a year of 1 to 2 days of power outages. Some times do to wild land fires and the solar set up is just the ticket. We also live in an area that is prone to earthquakes so solar gives us the ability to operate for ARES and personal needs during times natural disaster and power outages that are as simple as just an inconvenience. We love it.

"Rangers Lead The Way!"  "Sua Sponte"   "Litalis Velox Silens"
When all else fails ham radio is there!
FT2900, FT8900, VX6, Ft60, TS940SAT, Drake TR7, MFJ 969
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 05:43:43 AM »

The solar panel does a very reasonable job keeping up with the load consumption. I average about 3 hrs radio time a day and the battery is always usably charged.
I am going to add two more batteries this summer. Hopefully in the fall a second identical panel. We do have a average of 3 to 4 times a year of 1 to 2 days of power outages.

Look into wind power as well.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: