The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do your own a TwoFer, Pixie, Pixie II, or china Bee, Frog or Pixie?  (Read 11988 times)
AK0B

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2015, 01:04:53 PM »

Do you own a TwoFer, Pixie, Pixie II, or a china Bee, Frog or Pixie?   

Would you be interested in helping to set up a micro power QRP night (net) or contest? Or your DIY creation running less than 2 watts output.  Most of these little rigs run less that a watt.

If so what band – most have 7040 or 7030 xtals, but we also now have the china ones on 7023, plus some have built them for 80 and 20 meters.

Suggestions and comments please.
Stan AK0B          w9ifz at yahoo dot com

N1NQC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 10:47:32 PM »

Hey Stan,

I would personally "promote" 40 M since  lot of QRP rigs are built for that band. Selecting a SINGLE FREQUENCY within 40 is another issue though. Rock bound rigs can vary, but I like 7040 for starters.

It may be hard to get lots of  xtal controlled rigs to all line up on one frq. Skeds on the internet and/or  the  net control bouncing  around 40  w/ a VFO (or swapping crystals) rig on different days  may be  called for  to try and  get  "everyone" that is stuck rock bound on one frq.Depending on what list you look at, there may be 4 or 5 "popular" frequencies for QRP CW.Out of those I am not sure how much traffic is on each.

Just some ideas. Unfortunately I really can't commit to skeds at this point in my life- WAY too much personal stuff going on ( school, family, work).I op when /if I can .Life gets in the way of what's important- RADIO (Hi).K
AK0B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 05:11:44 AM »

I would personally "promote" 40 M since  lot of QRP rigs are built for that band. Selecting a SINGLE FREQUENCY within 40 is another issue though   

You have a good point – these simple rigs being direct conversion everyone would be on the same frequency.  With slight mod could be plus or minus 2 khz.  Might do like the CW sprint where no one can hog the frequency after making a contact.

However,  now days most want to work others on their same frequency.  Years ago we use to work other CW stations 5 to 20 khz away on the old novice bands.
I believe in the US 7040 would be a good choice lots of vintage QRP like these no doubt have a 7040 crystal.
I would like to see the challenge of working a lot of others running less than a watt.  As the number of DIY rigs decline to the commercial ones designed for QRP just about everyone runs 5 watts or more.  I am building a BEE and I installed 7040 xtals in it.

Would like it to be more of a low power test than a contest  That was the fun when their use to be a lot of BPSK using the warblers on 80 meters.  It was a great feeling when you worked some who like yourself was only running about a watt.

Stan ak0b
F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 11:36:23 AM »

I'd like to see HW-7 and HW-8 operators doing the same. I couldn't realistically  participate from over here but it would be nice to see such a group in the States on the air. Those two HW rigs only put out a bit over a watt. So seems to be in the ballpark. I could be mistaken but I believe rigs capable of no more than two watts maximum is the determining factor?

Good luck with the project.
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 01:26:50 PM »

Do you own a TwoFer, Pixie, Pixie II, or a china Bee, Frog or Pixie?   

Would you be interested in helping to set up a micro power QRP night (net) or contest? Or your DIY creation running less than 2 watts output.  Most of these little rigs run less that a watt.

If so what band – most have 7040 or 7030 xtals, but we also now have the china ones on 7023, plus some have built them for 80 and 20 meters.

Suggestions and comments please.
Stan AK0B          w9ifz at yahoo dot com

I have 2 of the Chinese Pixies as well as a Chinese 49'er.  Excellent little rigs for the money.

John KB2HSH
Springbrook, NY
N8XI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 06:38:45 AM »

40 Meters (7.040 MHz) sounds good as most of my QRP Rigs are built for that band.
Tixie, 40-9er, SST, SW-40+ and a HMBRW XCVR built from designs from the W1FB QRP Notebook and QST Mag.

But I also have an OHR QRP Classic for 40/20M and a DSW 20 that I won many years ago from qrp-L.

Need one for my QRP club net so I am looking into a RockMite ][ for 80M (500Mw)
and the Tuna Topper ][+ Amp with the 80M, 30M & 20M Plug in Band Filters.

So...sign me up for 40M (7.040 MHz)

73, Rick - N8XI
AK0B

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 11:51:57 PM »

Yes the Rockmite and Tuna TopperII are also great qrp rigs the fit right in with Pixie

While the RockMite is low power it is a really nice design one of the top rigs for enjoying QRP .

W1FB certainly had a lot of design designs in his handbooks.  I believe a lot of his designs -- PCB are available from Far Circuits.

Stan ak0b

KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 11:36:46 AM »

In those power ranges I have a Pixie II for 40m and for 80m. I also have a Rockmite on 40m. I've had a bunch of contacts with the Rockmite but the Pixie II so far has been a struggle... only one QSO and that was 'pre-arranged'... spent plenty of hours calling CQ with it. (I have a KX-1 as well, but that is in a different class imho). The minimalist rigs can be fun.
GM0WEZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 03:38:40 AM »

Bought a Chinese Pixie kit - about £3.50 - say 5 bucks-ish.

Very nice PCB, plated thru holes, all parts complete with a few extra caps and resistors. 270mW out, pure dc note. The receiver is wide open as you'd expect from these simple radios. I can hear Radio China International and six or seven CW stations, all simultaneously. I swapped the xtal for 7.030, no other mod needed to do this.

Worth getting as construction practice, a novelty, and has several useful parts (jack sockets, DC power socket, BNC etc) that could be used towards more practical projects.

I am tempted by the Chinese Nighthawk 40m transceiver (£46, 10 watts out, looks to be a superhet) but there is nothing about it on the web from someone who's actually built or used one. With Small Wonder Labs no more there is a need for a cheap but practical QRP kit.
VE3GNU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 05:53:35 AM »

The Wilderness Norcal 40-A would be an excellent candidate for this---good for 1.6 to 2.0 w. out---built it a dozen years ago.
73---Ernie
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 02:54:55 PM »

Hi

Yes I own a pixie, homebrew with side-tone 3575 KHz or 7002 KHz.
Both with 0.7 KHz shift in RX for right frequency in TX and RX.

A  PA0POP   POP Pixie  3510-3600 KHz with side-tone with ceramic resonator VXO.

A Pixie with RX in for seperate RX with R209 about 1 Watt output on 3575.
A pixie with solar panel feeding and battery buffer.

Lots of fun building and working with them, specialy 40 mtrs is very good for QRPP use
80 mtrs is a lot more difficult but on 40 with full half wave vertical DX is even good with only 0.5 watts.

80 mtrs is very difficult due to high QRM levels on 80 mtrs.

73 Jos
KD6RGZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 04:50:40 PM »

I have a Chinese "Frog" in transit.  Won it on eBay, for $10.00.  Will check back in later.  Have yet to get my General ticket, learn code, hang an antenna, construct my radio, my antenna matcher, and my CMOS4 Keyer.

Maybe a couple weeks?

We'll see!

My first foray into anything below 144 MHz.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: