Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a lead on a usd HF Rig and tuner  (Read 5259 times)
N5INP

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »

A local ham I met wants to sell a used FT-450 (not 450D) and associated LDG ant. tuner for $650. The only thing wrong is the key jack is broken, which seemed to be a common problem with this rig. I can order a new one for $1.60 and repair it myself.

What do you think of this deal?

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 01:13:51 PM »

Have you seen an operated this rig/tuner in his shack? Does it meet your operating requirements? If so consider the no packaging/shipping advantage and possible ease of recourse if problems arise after the sale,not to mention the previous owner is nearby to answere any future technical issues.
M6YDB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 01:29:31 PM »

I had a play with a standard 450 and given all the horror stories about menus being buried 6 deep etc I didn't have any issues in changing all the main settings (DSP, Clarifier, Bands, Modes etc).

In fact I found it really quite nice to use and would be tempted by one.

My only question on this deal is the price.  Don't know what the going rate is Stateside but in the UK new non-D 450's are not pricey.  Appreciate you have the ATU also but I would prefer a manual ATU generally (unless one of the in-built ones on the higher end rigs).

Agree with W1JKA - go and have a look at it, see it in operation (on all open bands), ask the seller questions and see if you are comfortable with the deal or haggle down the price a bit.

M6YDB
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 02:29:24 PM »

Ya, I've seen it but haven't operated it. He uses it as a patio radio. We're going to set it up on his patio and see how it does.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 04:48:26 AM »

You would want to give rig and tuner and good operational checkout.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 12:21:11 PM »

You would want to give rig and tuner and good operational checkout.

Ya - did that yesterday. Everything checked out fine, made some contacts and all was well, so wrote the check. Got a FT-450 and LDG YT-450 for $650. I think it was a decent deal.

Here's a pic of the 450, I've been cleaning it up a bit. I'm also replacing the key jack, the part was only $1.60 from Yeasu.

M6YDB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 11:36:59 PM »

Great choice.  As I said in my TS 590S thread I had a really good play with the FT-450 and was about to buy it before the guy mentioned the 590S was available.

The menus didn't get in the way of core functionality (IMO) and everything was pretty straight forward and logical to use.  Sounded pretty good too, even through the external speaker.

Enjoy the rig!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 10:14:58 AM »

Re: N5INP
 Glad to hear this worked out well for you. Unfortunately most new and some old hams are not wise enough to take the common sense approach to as actually try out a new/used rig of interest such as you. The words TIME and INCONVENIENCE are popular excuses theses days for not doing so.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 03:54:01 PM »

Unfortunately most new and some old hams are not wise enough to take the common sense approach to as actually try out a new/used rig of interest such as you. The words TIME and INCONVENIENCE are popular excuses theses days for not doing so.

Yep good advice.

Here I have the front panel taken apart so I can replace the key and phone jacks, as they were a known problem with this model. You can see I have already removed the two jacks. I already have the parts coming from Yeasu. The new jacks were only $1.60 ea,.  Smiley

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 04:17:34 PM »

Here's the ham station as it exists currently. At the bottom you see the FT-450 I was working on earlier, and on top of it an LDG ant. tuner. To the right a Yeasu FT-8800 VHF/UHF rig. Above that, the SWR meter for VHF/UHF and an up-converter for the SDR dongle. On the display you can see the 40m ham band and it's tuned to the same freq. as the radio below. I only have a 6m dipole connected to the FT-450 at the moment. I'm still gathering materials to be able to mount the multi-band dipole ant. I will order later.

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 04:16:36 AM »

Thanks for the update!   I re-read this thread just yesterday and wondered how the 450 repairs went.  Looks great!

Your operating desk is very neat and organized--sure wish mine looked like that.  :-/
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 06:14:47 PM »

Thanks for the update!   I re-read this thread just yesterday and wondered how the 450 repairs went.  Looks great!

Thanks. Ran into a weird problem today. I'm using Omnirig to sync HDSDR with the FT-450, but the LDG ant. tuner acts weird when all three attempt to "play" together. The ant. tuner works OK with the FT-450, and the HDSDR works OK with the FT-450, but when all three play together strange things happen. For the time being I had to disable the "sync to Omnirig" from the HDSDR program, until I can figure out what is going on. I think it's a matter of some odd serial timing issues with all three, but I'm not sure. I can live with the FT-450 controlling the HDSDR, and not the other way around.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: