Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XYL-friendly Koax cable outlet  (Read 2718 times)
F4GFT

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2013, 03:50:04 AM »

Gentlemen, I am in the process of building a new shack in a small room adjacent to the bedroom, which is shared with the XYL as a dressing room. Everything must be neat and tidy - how do you solve the koax cable outlet problem in such a case? Two H155 and two RG213 (together with a not yet used 8 pin control cable, just in case) come in from the roof through a vent opening under a faux ceiling, and I intend to hide the cables in the plaster wall, where they would come out of the wall at about 1ft above the desk. I cannot seem to find a flush mount solution - how do you solve this kind of problem? I routed phone/network/satellite tv and of course a dedicated 230V line to flush mount panels, but for the koax, I am stuck.

Andy F4GFT
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 10:12:47 AM »

Depends where you have access.  If you can get the cable up from the lower level, behind the op desk, you'll be hard pressed to find a better looking solution, since the desk would hide them.  If not and there is a closet in the room, getting the cables into the closet and then running them along the baseboard wouldn't look too bad--as long as that run was short.  

If you have to--no option--bring them in through a wall, cut the entry point so that the cables will enter running up into the outside wall, put a loop in them inside the wall, and run them out into the room at a downward angle.  Wall stud spacing of 18 inches will allow this easily, you would have to determine if your home had that.  A double gang blank cover plate can then be drilled to cover the raw hole with the cables run through it.

Good luck and 73!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 10:15:13 AM by K1CJS » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 11:35:18 AM »

A low voltage cable plate such as: http://www.amazon.com/Arlington-CE2-1-Recessed-Voltage-2-Gang/dp/B002W6ZPXW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1384630381&sr=8-5&keywords=cable+cover+plate
F4GFT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 03:35:40 AM »

Thank you, gentlemen! I'll report as soon as the shack is finished. Your suggestions were very helpful.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 03:26:05 PM »

I'd never bring in cables 1 foot above a desk.  Or even 1 foot above the floor.

Bring them in at floor level (just an inch or so above the floor) and they're very easy to hide.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: