Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom pw1 won't power on  (Read 497 times)
AL3A

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2006, 02:19:42 PM »

Greetings radiopeople.  I have a question.

I've had an Icom PW1 for about 5 months now.  I have been out of the house and involved with other pursuits, so it has been nearly two months since I last powered it up.  When I went to turn it on this morning, it was dead - nearly.

When I turned on the exciter (an ICOM 756 Pro) the internal computer turns on and lights the LEDs in the control head.  Switching bands, antennas, and input sources, all work.  I can hear the relays switching.  However, the main power does nothing.  I've checked, and yes, there is power to the unit.  And the circuit breakers in the unit have not tripped.

The only other piece of information I can offer is that it has become wintery here in Alaska, and the temperature in my operating area is routinely about 40-50F.  It stays above freezing and the area is heated, but it's much cooler than it has been in the summer.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Joe

AL3A
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 06:27:45 AM »

You've probably already tried this, but I'd R&R the remote cables and/or the face plate. The voltage and current are rather low, and s light amount of corrosion will render them inoperative.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

HA5RXZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 08:32:33 AM »

I can't remember the exact details but i've heard there is a problem with the PW1 with connectors inside the case. I'd be tempted to open the case and reseat every connector and PCB.

HA5RXZ
AL3A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 09:26:19 AM »

Thanks, I believe this must be the case, as the unit hasn't been touched in a couple weeks, though the temps have gone down.  I did take the cover off and reseat the connectors I could reach, to no avail.  I fear it must be something deeper inside the dense assemblage of boards, and I'm loathe to go further while it's under warranty.

Though, shipping from Alaska is going to cost beaucoup $$$.  So anything I can do on the bench up here is preferable in time and money to putting the thing on a plane for the south.

AL3A
AL3A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 09:37:15 AM »

One more bit of data.  I called ICOM tech support in Washington and they were very cordial but unfortunately, the tech and I could not dream up a quick fix while we were on the phone.  

Alas, it looks like I have to ship it to Bellevue.

Joe
AL3A
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: