Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eBay and shipping charges  (Read 5611 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:34:29 AM »

Part of the problem is the seller who underpriced an item in an auction--and made up the price on the shipping.  E-bay has rules against that, but in actual practice seldom stop auctions because of it--unless there are several complaints made.  Now, I'm not saying that the original poster was doing this, but the practice HAS caused many people to look on high shipping costs with mistrust.

Since this buyer purchased the item--then complained about the packing/shipping charges, the seller has every right to cancel the sale and tell the guy "tough."  He knew what the pricing was before hand, now doesn't want to pay it?  Cry me a river.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:39:13 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 02:16:59 PM »

Before Ebay changed their policies you could sell something for one cent and charge $20 shipping and the seller only paid fees on the one cent. That's the way a lot of sellers got around the Ebay fees. Since they changed to charging the fees on product and shipping that took care of that. Didn't outlaw high shipping charges, just didn't care. They were going to get their money either way.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 03:15:09 PM »

Part of the problem is the seller who underpriced an item in an auction--and made up the price on the shipping.  E-bay has rules against that, but in actual practice seldom stop auctions because of it--unless there are several complaints made.  Now, I'm not saying that the original poster was doing this, but the practice HAS caused many people to look on high shipping costs with mistrust.

I have seen this a few times on E-Bay. Here is some examples.

There was a listing for the Baofeng UV5RA for 99 cents no one was bidding on it. I checked the description and sure enough...shipping and handling was $38 and change. I have seen used UV5RA's sell for as little as $25 including shipping.

Another current/recent listing had a non working CB with mic for $2.00, and the shipping was nearly $19. (I bought a working 40 channel SSB CB radio for less than $20 incl shipping a few months back, although that one didn't come with a mic. )

Yet another recent listing had a $58 shipping charge for a SGC-2020, and yes the seller was in the U.S.

If you ever run into a listing where the shipping calculator is not working. Don't bid on the item. I made a mistake once on an item for 99 cents. I messaged the seller several times before the auction ended for the shipping costs and the seller never replied. I bid anyway, auction ended and won the item.

I messaged the seller three more times to send me an invoice with the shipping costs. Seller didn't respond till 2 days later and said for me to give my email address (to send me the invoice with the shipping costs).

Well that is against E-bay rules and just asked the seller to send me a invoice for $10 shipping (it was a two pound item coming from PA to KY). Nothing heard back. I messaged the seller again, nothing. Then two days later the seller starts a dispute against me saying that I am not paying. Well..yea I can't pay because the seller refuses to send me an invoice and the checkout won't let me proceed further.

I had to call E-Bay customer service TWICE to get this resolved. Don't let this happen to you, if the seller doesn't have a shipping cost...run....

Everyone needs to check out the shipping costs along with the asking price and also note the expected delivery times. Some of the stuff from Hong Kong or even China (in rare cases) can take three weeks or more to receive.  

Let me add here I don't know either of the people who are having a dispute. I am just commenting about some examples of high shipping costs and low asking prices I have seen on E-Bay.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:34:34 PM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows XP Pro.
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 05:03:35 PM »

I don't sell much but when I do I always note, usually in bold, that all electronics are double-boxed and professionally packed, and that the buyer should expect a cost associated with that on top of shipping.  Also, sometimes folks are not familiar with "dimensional weight", and that definitely comes into play when double-boxing.  I also tell them to ignore the shipping calculator.

Richard, AB4ZT
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 05:48:51 PM »

There was a listing for the Baofeng UV5RA for 99 cents no one was bidding on it. I checked the description and sure enough...shipping and handling was $38 and change. I have seen used UV5RA's sell for as little as $25 including shipping.

Another current/recent listing had a non working CB with mic for $2.00, and the shipping was nearly $19. (I bought a working 40 channel SSB CB radio for less than $20 incl shipping a few months back, although that one didn't come with a mic. )

Yet another recent listing had a $58 shipping charge for a SGC-2020, and yes the seller was in the U.S.

Theoretically this is supposed to be against the rules on eBay because people do this to avoid paying eBay their percentage of the sale.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 06:29:40 PM »

Theoretically this is supposed to be against the rules on eBay because people do this to avoid paying eBay their percentage of the sale.

Here are two on E-Bay and both are in the U.S.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-BAOFENG-UV-3R-Mark-II-UPGRADE-136-174-400-470Mhz-Dual-Freq-Display-/390684375910?pt=2_Way_Radios_FRS&hash=item5af69a7b66

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Walkie-Talkie-Single-Frequency-Band-UHF-16CH-2-Way-Radio-BaoFeng-BF-666S-/400592754925?pt=2_Way_Radios_FRS&hash=item5d453058ed

AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 06:47:14 AM »

I don't sell much but when I do I always note, usually in bold, that all electronics are double-boxed and professionally packed, and that the buyer should expect a cost associated with that on top of shipping.  Also, sometimes folks are not familiar with "dimensional weight", and that definitely comes into play when double-boxing.  I also tell them to ignore the shipping calculator.

Richard, AB4ZT

I do that too and go one step further and that is to actually pack the item as it will ship and take it to a post office or FedEx shop and have them compute the shipping cost to a distant address like Maine. I always go in because I've always found that the online calculators under estimate the cost. Then I include that in the price. If it ends up being less in the final sale, I refund the difference to the customer. If it's slightly more, I eat the difference. If it's a lot more, like shipping a large item to HI or AK, I negotiate with the buyer before the sale is completed. If the customer backs out because shipping is too high, no foul.

Ray KJ6AMF
KA6MLE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 09:16:10 AM »

Not any more. Ebay charges 10% on both the final sell price and the shipping. So Ebay gets their money no matter where the charge is.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 10:28:07 AM »

Not any more. Ebay charges 10% on both the final sell price and the shipping. So Ebay gets their money no matter where the charge is.

What if the seller offers free shipping? So then E-Bay only gets the final sell price? (Been awhile since I sold something on E-Bay).

KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 10:37:21 AM »

I've shipped large items where the cost of shipping was double what I'd told the seller. In that case I just eat the extra cost. I told the seller the price would be $X, so I'm not gonna go back a week later and say, oh btw, it's actually $Y.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 02:30:50 PM »

Where do you factor in customs duty or is that down to the purchaser to pay?
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 02:50:36 PM »

Where do you factor in customs duty or is that down to the purchaser to pay?

I personally won't ship heavy items out of the USA. I'm not sure what you mean by customs duty, but I've never had to pay it when getting stuff from overseas. Also, UK and Europe have VAT/GST taxes, which the US doesn't have. We have a tax on the product price commonly called "sales tax", but few sellers on a place like Ebay bother to pay it, and the amounts are usually so small that it isn't worth govt time to collect. Large e-retailers pay it, but small guys rarely do. Also, this tax is not a national tax, unlike GST in UK. It varies from state to state, within states, and even from city to city. Sales tax is illegal in the state of Oregon, for example. Another example is the fact that one can drive from say San Francisco to San Jose in CA and find numerous different sales tax levels.
N4GKS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 04:16:25 PM »

It's a fact that people pay more for an item if it's free shipping. They think they're saving money. Wrong.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 05:03:37 PM »

hi,

don't use Ebay for FedEx, even with the "Ebay" discount you
will be saving a lot more money by using your own FedEx account
and shipping on FedEx.com.

For US Postal, the Ebay shipping is very accurate.

73 james
VE1GAT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 05:14:20 AM »

I have to issue an alert to Canadians about buying from US sellers and the Pitney Bowes drop shipping scheme.
This is huge scam IMO since the seller can enter bogus Pitney Bowes tracking numbers (such 0000000) and Pitney Bowes will set the status as DELIVERED. PayPal will NOT refund you the shipping charges or duties collected. I have recorded PP lying to me on the phone promising a full refund includes S/H and duties. I mentioned this huge loophole to eBay and they quickly deleted my community posts, deleted my community anti-fraud group, banned me from community forum. eBay and PayPal are complicit in this fraud scheme.

Hands that help are better than those that pray.
Science, it works.
We have the fossils, we win.
Use Linux.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: