Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: renewing license time limit  (Read 1911 times)
KD4RLV

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »

Hi guys,
When is the earliest time you can renew your license?

Best Regards, KD4RLV 73's
KD4RLV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 01:52:17 PM »

Reason why I'm asking is because I have forgotten.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 02:19:27 PM »

Hi guys,
When is the earliest time you can renew your license?

Best Regards, KD4RLV 73's
3 months

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KD4RLV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 04:42:06 PM »

Thanks for the info..Smiley
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 06:18:46 AM »

The rule is no more than 90 days before expiration or 2 years after. There is an exception, though (see below).

Your license expires November 23 so you can't renew yet. 90 days from November 23 is August 25 if my math is right. Do it Labor Day weekend and you'll be good to go.

You can renew online on the FCC site for free with just a few mouse clicks. I did mine a few months back and it takes more time to tell than it did to do.

Note that if you change your name or address, or upgrade your license, the FCC does NOT renew the license unless you are in the 90-days-before-2-years-after time window.

Now for the exception:

If you apply for a vanity callsign, your license will be renewed when the vanity call is issued, regardless of where you are in the license term. This is done so that everyone pays the same vanity fee.

73 de Jim, N2EY
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 08:56:23 AM »

If you apply for a vanity callsign, your license will be renewed when the vanity call is issued, regardless of where you are in the license term.

I'd say it a little differently. Maybe it's a technical nit, but the issuance of a vanity call is not a renewal. FCC considers it the cancellation of the previous license, and the issuance of a new license. And as a new license, the vanity callsign gets a full ten-year term, the same as any new license. Both licenses are/were held by the same person, and are under the same FRN, but they are separate license records.

Although this is a way to extend the operating privileges of a licensee (the operator), I wouldn't refer to it as a renewal, because that's not the way it's shown (or handled) by the FCC, and it could be confusing. It's really new station license.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 11:29:13 AM »

If you apply for a vanity callsign, your license will be renewed when the vanity call is issued, regardless of where you are in the license term.

I'd say it a little differently. Maybe it's a technical nit, but the issuance of a vanity call is not a renewal. FCC considers it the cancellation of the previous license, and the issuance of a new license. And as a new license, the vanity callsign gets a full ten-year term, the same as any new license. Both licenses are/were held by the same person, and are under the same FRN, but they are separate license records.

Although this is a way to extend the operating privileges of a licensee (the operator), I wouldn't refer to it as a renewal, because that's not the way it's shown (or handled) by the FCC, and it could be confusing. It's really new station license.

Thanks for clarifying that!

It used to be, years ago, that when you modified a license you could also get a renewal, regardless of where you were in the license term. I went through a period where I didn't have to renew for years because I moved about every year or so, and each move "restarted the clock". That was back in the days of 5 year licenses.

73 de Jim, N2EY
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 12:05:13 PM »

It used to be, years ago, that when you modified a license you could also get a renewal, regardless of where you were in the license term. I went through a period where I didn't have to renew for years because I moved about every year or so, and each move "restarted the clock". That was back in the days of 5 year licenses.

And you didn't even have to modify it, either--you could just renew at any time.

My wallet was stolen some time in 1978 or 1979. Those were the days when you had to have your original license (the paper one) with you any time you were on the air. Since I did a lot of mobile operation then, I kept mine was in my (now-stolen) wallet. My "solution" was to request an out-of-cycle renewal, and thus generate a new paper license--it seemed more efficient than trying to request a simple copy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: