Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Improving sending speed  (Read 3134 times)
KC9UNL

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »

I want to improve or increase my sending speed using a straight key. Currently at about 10 wpm.  When I increase my sending speed is there a way to measure it? Are there
any Arduino devices that will measure your sending speed?  Any suggestions.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 08:53:39 PM »

Work on increasing your receiving speed. As you copy faster code, you'll know what it sounds like, and will be able to replicate it on your straight key.  If that seems awkward, your key is probably mis-adjusted - too much spring tension, or spacing too large. Check with your local club for a CW-enthusiast to be your Elmer for this. also consider moving up to a paddle keyer - I advise against a 'bug' with manual dashes and mechanical pendulum dots.
Also, be sure to work the CW/SS next weekend. It's a great way to improve your CW proficiency.
If you copy w1aw code proficiency transmissions, or CW Bulletins, you'll know what various speeds sound like. Again, find a local CW Elmer to make sure that what you're sending is readable!

KQ6Q
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 05:09:59 AM »

I don't know about the Arduino, but "CW Get" is free for PC's, and it will measure your sending speed.  "fldigi" has similar capabilities. 

For either program, you need to run your straight key through a sidetone generator (that is, it needs to have an audible "beep").  Use the computer mic to "listen" to the sidetone.

Either program will also tell you whether your straight-key sending is _readable_.   What's music to your ears, may be mush to the computer.

. . .  also consider moving up to a paddle keyer  . . .

+1.  Life is much easier with a paddle, IMHO.   I know that some people disagree.

.        Charles
NV2A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 06:52:13 AM »

(see the QSK thread as it should help you a little)
N4KD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 08:17:24 AM »

I've been working on using an iambic paddle. The only tried and true way to do this is practice, practice, practice, and practice. Then practice some more. I send from everything I can find... Trout Unlimited, QST, "The quick brown fox...","eish5", woodworking magazines, whatever. But one rule I enforce very rigorously is to resend each line until it's perfect. Then I move on to the next line.

The K3 is great in that it can decode CW in TX-Only, so I get an immediate indication of whether I sent "N4KD", or "NHMAD" or some other nonsense. The disadvantage is that it is only displayed when sending and only displays a few characters at a time.

vy 73,
Dave N4KD
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 09:16:43 AM »

Hi to you all

Your speed comes up after more practice and use on the band, do not worry.
If you want to make a leap go and use a paddle.
I find a paddle so much less tiering I switched to paddles years ago , without any regrets.

But increasing speed is just a question of more QSO's and more time using CW .
Speed will come automatekly.

73 Jos
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 07:08:45 PM »

I would urge you to feed some audio (Your code practice) into a cw copy program on a computer so you can practice making it copyable and not just fast. Speed will come with practice OH! and did I say practice - hi   Cheesy
Dick KH2G
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: