Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recording and Listening to QSOs through a Computer  (Read 6252 times)
N1IRF

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2013, 04:46:43 PM »

I was wondering if it was possible to record and listen to qso through a computer?  I have a FT-897 and a Signalink USB.  I am pretty sure there is a way but I haven't found out how to do it.

Do anyone have any ideas on how to do it?   
K4KRW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 05:42:58 PM »

Any software that will let you record a sound file using the sound card in the signal link as a source will do.  Some ham software (Like Ham Radio Deluxe) has that capability built in. 
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 06:10:35 PM »

Audacity is a good dedicated recording program. Also open source and free:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 08:40:21 PM »

I use audacity to record web content, but it can just as easily be used with the computer's microphone input.  You might have to build a resistor attenuator, unless your computer has a line input, and audacity can access it.

If you don't to archive the content for playback on any machine or send a .WAV or .MP3 copy, you can leave the recorded material in audacity file format.  If you want to make MP3's, you will need to find the MP3 converter file to enable audacity to make MP3's.

Lee
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 04:12:29 AM »

If you want to make MP3's, you will need to find the MP3 converter file to enable audacity to make MP3's.

Lee

If you go to the Download tab on the Audacity home page and select Plug-Ins and Libraries, scroll to the bottom of the page where there is a link to information about the LAME program which is required to export to MP3.
KB1BZR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 06:47:13 AM »

I notice retail stores do not want to sell computer microphones anymore.

It is easy just to run your computer with a 'sound program' and a mike input.  Audacity is one.  You need the LAME download also to end up with a mp3 format which is smaller in size. When you download Audacity also download the LAME which seems to need no directions as to where on the computer.

If not an audio nut (quality quality quality) recordings are easy.

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 11:05:10 AM »

For the life of me, I will NEVER figure out why people post the exact same thing that someone else has already posted.
ILDARIN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 04:45:12 PM »

I noticed that, too.  None at Best Buy, none at Fry's...
Had to get one at a swap meet.

Anybody know why?
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 10:21:42 AM »

I noticed that, too.  None at Best Buy, none at Fry's...
Had to get one at a swap meet.

Anybody know why?

Most PCs sold these days are laptops, which usually have microphones built in.

Gamers buy high-dollar headsets, not stand-alone mics. Often times they have USB sound cards built in.

Hard-core audio types pick up pro mics and HQ interfaces like the Heil USBQ.

Back when I was doing a lot with Skype I picked up a headset at one of the Office stores for a few bucks. I hang it on my external speaker when I want to practice sending code using the radio's keyer, since the radio doesn't send the tone through the data connection. Using it FLDigi can decode fairly well, even with my terrible fist.
KJ7WC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 03:59:49 AM »

Those computer stores want to sell you a camera with a built-in microphone.
KE7RIP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 07:30:52 PM »

I too have a FT-897D. I too would like to record it. Signal link as well.
Now if i wanted to just record the audio while running digital i would use the sound mixer to record from using audacity.
However i want to record the audio of a phone conversation.

So the only solution i came up with was open air mic record. Problem is if i'm wearing headphones to save the wifes sanity.

Would have been nice to have an easy one button record solution when i made my 5.2k jaunt over the Atlantic to Japan.
J.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: