Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R390A front panel screws  (Read 9535 times)
9A5BDP

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2013, 01:11:33 PM »

Hi there..

I need information regarding flat head screws on front panel of R390A receiver, what is dimension of these screws?

73!

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 02:00:50 PM »

The depot manual describes them as " 8-32 x 3/8" binder head screws "

A more complete description would be an SAE (English measure) #8 cup head machine screw with a pitch of 32 threads per inch and the threaded portion being 3/8ths of an inch long. I recall them as Philips head stainless, the depot manual shows a beveled washer under each screw.

Here's a picture of the more common cadmium plated parts:

Stainless would be less bright in color. The depot maintenance manual can be downloaded from a variety of sites free of charge and is very, very complete.

Never change a password on a Friday                
9A5BDP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 11:25:50 PM »

Thanx for information and great photo, so next action is to find some dealer...

73!
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 01:49:25 PM »

if they're not in your hardware store bin, Fastenal online can oblige.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 02:55:50 PM »

UNC/UNF screws are not often found in hardware stores in Europe - screws here are pretty well all metric, although some of the BSW/BSF and BA can be obtained. Some model engineering places sell UNF/UNC, but otherwise it can be a commercial minimum quantity job to get them.
9A5BDP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 11:35:08 AM »

Where to find this kind of screws in EU? I need only 5 pcs of them...

Or maybe someone of the hams from the States have some spares to donate...

73!

Dubravko from 9A
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 01:47:48 AM »

Look up Clerkenwell Screws, 109 Clerkenwell Road, London, EC1R 5BY.

They don't advertise their email address, but you can click on a 'send message'. I've bought small quantities from them in the past.

Peter G3RZP
9A5BDP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 01:14:14 PM »

Thanx a lot for this kind information...
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 01:38:48 PM »

There are a few hundred people who are actively engaged in maintaining, operating and modifying the R-390/ R-389/ R-390A/ R-392 radios who operate on a list;

http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/r-390

Come join us, I bet that someone probably has a big bag of screws sitting around. (most of us have a few screws loose as it is).

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 07:41:11 PM »

If I had any spares, I'd just send them to you.  Actually I need a set too, I'm missing a set for an R390A I have but it's not high on my priority list right now.  If you want to wait a few weeks, I'll get some.  They can't be too hard to get here in the US.  Lots of times SS screws can be found for a few bucks on Amazon if you get like 50 or so.
9A5BDP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 11:27:24 AM »

I make my registration on 390A mail list and make my first post. If I would have some luck I will manage to obtain screws from hams in other case please mr. N3DT make some notes in your shoping bag list regarding my needs..Thanx in advance
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 06:42:54 PM »

I got 100 each of 6-32 x 1/2, 8-32 x 5/8 and 8 tooth external locks all SS for $17.22.  So I sent 9A5BDP a set plus spares gratis.  I have 2 R390A's that could use new screws, so that leaves about 75 that I don't have much use for.  If anyone wants a set, I'll be glad to send a complete set of 8 each for lets say $1.50 plus shipping which shouldn't amount to even $1, so lets say $2.50?.  But I'd like to do it all at once so I don't make multiple trips to the P.O.  Let me know and I'll give it about 2 weeks and see if anyone wants a set.  If not they'll go in the nut and bolt bin.

Dave
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 06:49:42 AM »

They're all spoken for already.
KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 05:38:34 AM »

The depot manual describes them as " 8-32 x 3/8" binder head screws "

A more complete description would be an SAE (English measure) #8 cup head machine screw with a pitch of 32 threads per inch and the threaded portion being 3/8ths of an inch long. I recall them as Philips head stainless, the depot manual shows a beveled washer under each screw.

Here's a picture of the more common cadmium plated parts:

Stainless would be less bright in color. The depot maintenance manual can be downloaded from a variety of sites free of charge and is very, very complete.
Seems to add some confusion here ?  I think the OP is requesting info on the various SAE 6-32 Flat Head screws that are used on the R-390 . Flat Head screw length is the grip length below the widest part of the head .Your  Binding head reference woud seem to be for the to rack mounting 8-32 screws . The photo in your posting is indeed FLAT HEAD srews with "Cupped Trim Washers" often used together but the trim washers are best used with "Oval Head" screw types . The oval head screws are tapered seat like the flat heads but the top of the screw is crowned .
The proper lockwashers for flat head screws come with the 82 degree countersink taper already formed .
Cad plated screws are on the way out due to environmental issues but the cad plated steel screws are a bit stronger in tensile than the stainless steel type . Try to avoid BA screws as they have a slightly different thread form than the SAE form .
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 05:51:45 AM »

Seems to add some confusion here ?

Have you referred to the depot manual for the mechanical illustration and parts list of the front panel?

Never change a password on a Friday                
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: