Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VX-7 Commander - which port to user with Inspiron XPS8700 & Win 8.1?  (Read 3969 times)
KI6KQD

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2013, 05:36:42 PM »

Whenever I try to program my VX-7R with VX-7 Commander, I get a

Run-time error '8002':

Invalid Port Number.

I'm running Windows 8.1 on a three-month-old Dell Inspiron XPS8700. I can't run VX-7 Commander (or FTB8800 for that matter) on my old machine now running Win 8.0 - that machine doesn't even recognize the interface cable, since it won't install the driver software. Both interface programs used to work on the old machine with Win 7.

Any suggestions - which com port should I be addressing, should I use a different interface cable (got the one for VX-7R on ebay), should I use a different VX-7R memory interface program?

I really don't want to re-program all my rigs by hand. I've moved to a different state, and that's why I'm going through all this. I have an MSEE degree and years of design experience with analog I.C.s, but trying to get software to respond to a 'phantom' COM port through USB has me stumped.

Thanks.
KG4ZZC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »

I have exactly the same issue on a Win8.1 machine using a USB cable (not a com to USB adapter). I have tried a lot of different settings and configurations without any success. Also, the Commander help file is inaccessible in Win8.1.

Anyone have any recommendations for this specific issue?

Thank you.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 12:43:54 PM »

Jim has support forums for you ... and I thought he offered a "cable/port tester" program on his home Web site ...

In Windows, boot up and then wait for all to load. Then plug in the cable, and you should hear Windows "acknowledge" that something has been plugged in a USB port.

Then I would go to Control Panel or SysInfo or wherever all your ports are listed, and find your driver set and cable there ...

This is why I love the RT Systems v4.x of their programming kits: NO COM PORT SETUP WHATSOEVER. Literally "plug and program." For older rigs, I still maintain a couple IBM ThinkPad 760ED notebooks, and a little Asus EeePC with a couple of Jim's titles on them ... notebooks with 9-pin serial ports ... (grin)

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
KG4ZZC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 07:51:07 AM »

Thank you K6LCS, I appreciate the detailed response.

The USB cable is being picked up correctly in Win8.1 before and after installing the drivers for it. I reviewed all the steps again and revisited the Control Panel / Device Manager (after your message) and saw the issue. The USB cable was showing Com Port 4 being used. I went back into Commander and switched to Com4. This did get me further where Commander didn't give me a runtime error. However, it tried reading the data from the VX-7R and failed every time. Tried several other steps, still the same issue. After being stuck here forever and revisiting Jim's page,  I installed CHIRP: http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home. After entering the correct com port #, I have been able to download from the VX-7R with no issues. However, the uploads are giving me an issue. At least I have verified that the cable is working and the com ports have been set correctly. Back to it...
KG4ZZC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 09:03:33 AM »

Success.

I uninstalled the USB cable and it's driver. Restarted Win8.1. Started back up, plugged in USB cable and let Windows find the correct driver. Restarted Win to complete installation (Win won't prompt you, but if you look at the device under Devices (Control Panel) it asks there. USB was using Com Port 4 on my machine - you will have to enter the correct Port number in CHIRP or Commander.

CHIRP: After reboot, plugged in the radio and set to Clone TX mode and CHIRP received data without any issues. Set to Clone RX mode and CHIRP uploaded to VX-7R without any issues.

COMMANDER: Set to Clone TX mode and Commander would give me an error. Went to Settings > Port > made sure Com 4 was selected > clicked on the exclamation mark next to Com > changed from 15 to 17. This fixed the issue. If 17 doesn't work try 19, 22,  etc. Set to Clone RX mode and Commander uploaded to VX-7R without any issues.

Hope this helps.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 02:04:56 PM »

Gotta love Windows and driver issues ... (grin)

Glad you got it worked out. I remember some program/radio issues which required full re-boot between
programming sessions ...

Clint

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: