Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is going on with modern rigs  (Read 8105 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 07:27:49 AM »

Nothing is going on with modern rigs, they are just keeping current with today's technological advances in order to meet the needs of the operators holding one of the three classes of learners permits issued by the FCC.

Hey!  I like that one--and how true it is!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 07:29:55 AM »

Re: K8AXW reply #13

ABSOLUTELY, after all, they have to keep up those profit margins to pay for the nice glossy ads in the QST catalogue. Reminds me of that famous movie quote from the Graduate "one word, Plastics"  but with the appenden  "stay away from knobs".
N4GKS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 03:34:19 PM »

You can't  please some people. A lot of Hams, are in general, spoiled children. Most have too much disposable income and take great offense if something isn't to their liking. So, they leave a negative rating here which makes them feel better, then they sell their rig for 3/4 of it's worth on Ebay. Most of the time the rig isn't working right because they are too lazy to read the supplied manual.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 03:56:45 PM »

N4GKS

I would venture to suggest that in addition to what you say, they are too lazy or disinterested to read about what receiver and transmitter parameters really mean in terms of spectrum usage. So you can understand  the situation that I heard on 80m some 50 years ago from a guy (G3SDN) who passed the old UK written exam and Morse Test "I can't be splattering - I'm using a Collins transceiver".

Rather fitting - shortly after,  he got a 4 year jail term in the UK for running a fraudulent insurance company..... he is dead now, and many of us would say that's no loss. It is said he was wanted for a big fraud in 9G1 which, had he been extradited, would have seen him tied to an oil drum and shot!

So don't splatter!!!!!
N4GKS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 04:08:42 PM »

I remember "Big Al" K4OKA, used to have a Kenwood 850 that he would take pleasure in running double sideband whenever someone got to close too close to 3894.5. Ah, the old days with colorful characters. Not like today with  unimaginative people who just curse and make threats.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 08:55:58 PM »

I too can`t understand some of the reviews I read. The other day I saw a review for the FT-857D. The person said,"It doesn`t hear as well as the higher end rigs." Ok,lets look at that. The other night on my FT-857D I heard on 160m cw,an SV3. I don`t even have a 160m antenna,just an 80m ant. Another night I heard a qrp station on 160m,and I didn`t even have my antenna tuner adjusted for that band! Yet I keep reading reviews of this "terrible receiver." Or how about the night I worked a station on 80m who was running 50 milliwatts and sounded just fine on my "terrible receiver."  Wink
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 09:00:40 AM »

The problem with all reviews (for anything) is the reviewer usually has only one unit to compare.  If he gets a good one, it gets good reviews.  If he gets a not so good one, the opposite holds true.  That's why you should always take reviews with a few grains of salt.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 09:40:50 AM »

Or like a guy I know who  trades cars every year or two.  Each one he buys is the best on available for that price..... until he's in the mood to trade again.  Then it's a pizza sheet!
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 01:04:30 PM »

One guy gives the MFJ-822 a score of zero because it only reads half power on 440MHz. Of course the 822 is advertised as an HF/VHF meter and is specified to have an upper limit of 200MHz.  Huh
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 01:07:36 PM »

"I too can`t understand some of the reviews I read. The other day I saw a review for the FT-857D. The person said,"It doesn`t hear as well as the higher end rigs." Ok,lets look at that. The other night on my FT-857D I heard on 160m cw,an SV3. I don`t even have a 160m antenna,just an 80m ant. Another night I heard a qrp station on 160m,and I didn`t even have my antenna tuner adjusted for that band! Yet I keep reading reviews of this "terrible receiver." Or how about the night I worked a station on 80m who was running 50 milliwatts and sounded just fine on my "terrible receiver"

It may be sensitive enough (any radio made today is probably too sensitive for most of us on HF) but it falls down on selectivity.  Try running it in a contest, the receiver will start to generate IMD products because it is being overloaded, especially with the preamp on (IPO OFF).  There is a reason why radios like the FTDX9000 cost more than the FT857D, and much of it is in the receiver department.

John AF5CC
N4GKS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, 04:02:41 PM »

I think some of the newer rigs just overwhelm some folks who are used to plug and play with only a filter or two and the if shift to move around.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 10:22:17 PM »

Would #2 be the guy that gave the Kenwood TS990 a low score after playing with it for less than an hour at his local ham store. Really accurate review there.... Makes me wonder about a lot of them. The new high dollar rigs can't be evaluated in that amount of time, that won't even let you find out what it can do much less set it up.

Clif

After reading a lot of reviews and pondering and meditating about that, I have determined that I will only put any credence into reviews from people who have owned their rig for at least 6 months.  Any less and you really haven't had the time to get into it and know the rig.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: