Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Working DX Again on same bands/modes in same year and more....  (Read 1495 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2013, 04:22:10 PM »

Has anyone been following this thread on DX World?
http://dx-world.net/2013/why-work-rare-dx-again-on-same-bandsmodes-in-same-year/#more-48500

73, Gene AF3Y
KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 06:16:52 PM »

It is a sad commentary about what people expect when attempting to contact a DX station or DXpedition. Not willing to accept the fact that their failure to do well contacting semi-rare DX falls at their own feet.

It is my responsibility to get into the DX station's log, not the other way around.

Seems like a new wedge issue in the amateur ranks.... Big Gun Stations vs. Little Pistol stations (terms used in the article...but never defined as to what makes one or the other)

I guess the bloggers, forum bullies, and internet lurkers have argued enough about EMCOMM, now they need something else to occupy their keyboard time.

KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 06:22:10 PM »

I always notice towards the end of most any major DXpedition that they are begging for contacts and are usually very easy to work.
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 10:55:53 PM »

Many of the JAs noted who worked the other XZ DXpedition just a couple months earlier were chasing XZ1J because there are mid day hours when the band is not open to NA or SA or EU from XZ - so the DXpedition ops were bouncing around the bands to keep the rate up.  I tuned across them several times calling CQ CQ CQ with no takers - during mid day when it was the middle of the night in NA and EU and 20m absorption was too high to work anyone but the biggest of big guns in either location.

N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 09:34:57 AM »

When I go in, it is normally a clean quick kill. Five calls and I expect to be done.  Of course that is not always the case...hi hi

I think all those stations who are continually calling even when the dx is transmitting to another station  or asking for another station are the ones that really slow things down and as a result they prevent each other from getting the QSO's.

In my book, the continual manic calling is far worse than any leader board excesses

Mark N1UK
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 10:50:41 AM »

Here are a couple of recordings of Krish VU7AG on 40m ssb.

I am using my TS930S and jumping between the DX frequency and the calling spread, trying to catch both sides of the QSO. How many callsigns can you count calling out of turn and over the station that Krish is trying to work?  Why do they do it? This is far worse than any leader board chasing in my book and slows the whole process down to a crawl at times.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/3owz5lkvuug0cku/VU7AG_Krish_40m_0100_23_Nov_2013.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/c67us8l8iani7uw/VU7AG_Krish_40m_0200_26_Nov_2013.mp3

Mark N1UK
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 10:57:20 AM »

I don't know why someone would work the same DX on a band they already have UNLESS it's dead and they're just calling in to let the DX know that their signal is coming in XX....   other than that.. let others have a try.  Common sense.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:17:51 AM by WH7DX » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 11:24:45 AM »

I think all those stations who are continually calling even when the dx is transmitting to another station  or asking for another station are the ones that really slow things down and as a result they prevent each other from getting the QSO's.

In my book, the continual manic calling is far worse than any leader board excesses

Very well said Mark.  This is exactly my take on the matter.  The big guns don't really slow down the Q rate.  It's those who cause intentional QRM that do the most damage.  The QRM causes the Q rate to drop.  As the Q rate drops those LIDS get more frustrated and cause more QRM.  It's a vicious cycle that feeds on itself.

Jonathan W6GX
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 08:09:31 AM »

There are far, far more potential "Little Pistol" QSOs lost due to indiscriminate same band/mode duping by others of the current operation than there are due to the occasional "Big Gun" jumping into the pile to fill in a greenie.

For example, from K9W about 25% of a good 10m opening to the NA east coast one morning was wasted because literally every fourth QSO was with someone whom I'd worked just the day before during the same opening.  At rates of around 180 QSOs/hour, do the math.

WO2C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 07:10:33 PM »

Here are a couple of recordings of Krish VU7AG on 40m ssb.

I am using my TS930S and jumping between the DX frequency and the calling spread, trying to catch both sides of the QSO. How many callsigns can you count calling out of turn and over the station that Krish is trying to work?  Why do they do it? This is far worse than any leader board chasing in my book and slows the whole process down to a crawl at times.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/3owz5lkvuug0cku/VU7AG_Krish_40m_0100_23_Nov_2013.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/c67us8l8iani7uw/VU7AG_Krish_40m_0200_26_Nov_2013.mp3

Mark N1UK

Mark,

Thank you for going to the trouble of making these recordings and sharing them with the rest of us.

There is a technique for dealing with the screamers, the maniacs, and all the others who insist on calling out of turn: one that has been used by some DX operators and one that I myself would happily employ if ever I found myself on the end of a pileup.

I'd acknowledge them by their call signs, wish them 73, and let them QSY or QRT thinking they'd "worked" me.

Then, after somehow forgetting to enter them in my log, I'd move on to the next station.  Wink

I wish more DXpeditioners would do so--perhaps once word gets around that failure to adhere to the Code of Conduct will result in a NIL, we'll return to better operating.

Ray, WO2C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: