Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XZ1J - Myanmar November 15-26th  (Read 28781 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2013, 02:30:02 PM »

So here goes one story for the really weird and strange books.

I have not heard a peep out of XZ1J or any station from Myanmar from day one!  And that is not for a lack of trying and trying.

Last Night at 03:00 UTC  (10PM EST) I saw them listed on 10M SSB by a JA and a BA station.
Of course I have seen this many times before but 10M at 10PM, forget it for NA or SA.

Just out of curiocity I go there and for a split second I heard something, just a whisper but I listen longer and I hear it again but it's so darn weak that I can't make out much except I do hear "1J" every once in awhile.

I look at the cluster and see they are also on 12M so i go down to 12M and this time I can hear something and it's clearer.
I start to shift the beam and I find the more west I go from North the signal goes up. At about 280 Deg I have XZ1J in at a solid 52 signal with manageable QRN.  Whooo Hooo a chance at last!!!
Four Calls later I got him  Grin Grin

I go back to 10M with this new beam heading and sure enough I can hear him but he's working a massive JA pileup and after 20 minutes I gave up and said i should be thankful for the ATNO and call it a day.

So wow I don't know if that was just the propagation Gods smiling on me or what, but I have never had a contact in that area which I call the Black hole for signals much less get one at 10pm EST on 12M and could still hear him fine up till about 11PM.

This is what I love about DXing  Smiley
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2013, 03:11:22 PM »

I was on 10 SSB and Peter was next to me on 12 SSB. The bands were good but not as predictable as the night before. Conditions to EU stayed very strong and the predicted path to NA didn't really materialize.   I just heard that there was a very good 20 meter run to NA at 2100 UTC which is 4AM out time in Myanmar.   The bands are good but fickle and sometimes you just never know how they may surprise you.

Keep trying for XZ1J, we really want to give everyone an ATNO who needs it.

Paul N6PSE
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2013, 03:37:29 PM »

There was a nice unexpected 20m SP opening here in North Carolina around 17:00 GMT today.

Mark N1UK
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2013, 04:12:09 PM »

Paul's correct.  10m was open for a very short time yesterday and loud but calling for NA only.  I kept dropping my callsign hoping to make the call but as fast as 10m was hot, 10 minutes later it died.  This is the first time I heard this region very loud to Hawaii but hopefully there'll be more openings like this but for longer durations for everyone to work XZ1J  Cheesy

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
W6DXO

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2013, 04:22:36 PM »

There was a nice unexpected 20m SP opening here in North Carolina around 17:00 GMT today.

Mark N1UK

There was another SP opening on 20M (SSB) around 21:00 UTC today.

I couldn't believe it when I heard the Op calling CQ...

Got him with one call.  Go figure.

Gl de harry, W6DXO
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2013, 04:47:59 PM »

There was another SP opening on 20M (SSB) around 21:00 UTC today.

I couldn't believe it when I heard the Op calling CQ...

Got him with one call.  Go figure.

Gl de harry, W6DXO

Nice one.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2013, 04:55:36 PM »

l
Listened last evening, this morning, and this afternoon..... I checked EVERY SPOT on EVERY BAND, from EVERYWHERE........... NOT A WHISPER. I probably have 24 hours of LISTENING since they went QRV.  My ears are tired. hi hi

Granted, I am using a vertical, but I have Bhutan, Laos, Nepal, India, Vietnam, etc, etc. CONFIRMED.  It is not the antenna.  Bands are REALLY NOISY here, and the guys at Bangladesh and Myanmar have just been too weak to beat the noise.  Maybe it will get better. If not, so be it.  I did not have high expectations for either.

GL to all who need them..  73, Gene AF3Y

When I first worked Zorro when he did XZ1Z I went to his QRG and waited while the sun set. Suddenly he came right out of the noise and I was able to work him.

Such is the magic of greyline.
WO2C

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2013, 06:23:48 PM »

l
Listened last evening, this morning, and this afternoon..... I checked EVERY SPOT on EVERY BAND, from EVERYWHERE........... NOT A WHISPER. I probably have 24 hours of LISTENING since they went QRV.  My ears are tired. hi hi

Granted, I am using a vertical, but I have Bhutan, Laos, Nepal, India, Vietnam, etc, etc. CONFIRMED.  It is not the antenna.  Bands are REALLY NOISY here, and the guys at Bangladesh and Myanmar have just been too weak to beat the noise.  Maybe it will get better. If not, so be it.  I did not have high expectations for either.

GL to all who need them..  73, Gene AF3Y

Gene & I are in the same boat. Up at 0400 local time, I listened across the spectrum and could hear only static. At lunch time, still much the same. At 0015Z, there was a glimmer of hope when I heard them on 15 meters SSB around 0015Z. Of course, I had no chance against the ensuing out-of-control pileup.  Roll Eyes
15 and 20 have been my "money" bands to Asia with China, Japan, South Korea, India, Hong Kong, and the Philippines,now all confirmed. I'm still hoping we'll hear XZ1J on 20 meter SSB eventually. Otherwise, it may be time to turn my attention to Swaziland.
Come what may, good luck to the crew at XZ1J; have fun and return to your homes safely.
Ray, WO2C

N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2013, 06:24:04 PM »

We had a terrific run for NA this morning starting at 4AM our time (2100 UTC) on 20 SSB and CW they had great runs with NA. Then a few hours later I worked all over the US on 15SSB. Stations in the mid-west were very strong. When 15 closed an hour later I went to 12 meters and had another good run, mostly the a West a Coast. When 10 meters closed I went to 10 meters and worked more West Coast until the band died about 8:30 AM our time.

What a fun morning in the pileups.

Paul N6PSE
XZ1J team
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: November 18, 2013, 07:19:10 PM »

"When 15 closed an hour later I went to 12 meters and had another good run, mostly the West Coast."

Thanks for finding me in the pileup on 12M. I was using 100W and a vertical end-fed wire-on-a-stick antenna, so I know I was weak.

Dave, N6ORB
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: November 18, 2013, 09:27:52 PM »

Great pileup management skills, Paul!
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2013, 10:08:34 PM »

Well done Paul and team.  So far I have not heard anything on any band.  Listening long path around 1100 UTC from East Coast.  Fingers crossed.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2013, 11:07:48 PM »

Paul's signal on 15m tonight was the strongest signal I have heard from all recent XZ dxpeditions.  Truly phenomenal.  With great band conditions like this it's the most fun one could ever have with his clothes on Grin  Or in my case with or without clothes on Cheesy  I would call this HF nirvana.

ps I know some of you have yet to work XZ.  You cannot give up hope yet.  K0YQ proved that even a small pistol station could work XZ.  Congrats to K0YQ Smiley  GL to all who needs XZ.

Jonathan W6GX
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:10:24 PM by KF7BBJ » Logged
DF2RG

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2013, 02:00:54 AM »

Paul, since you happen to read this forum, I ask this question to you:

When will XZ1J start the promised RTTY activity. The demand is HIGH, and the pile-ups will be huge. I really suggest to concentrate on one or two bands with best propagation, to give an ATNO to many RTTY'ers!

Band wise I just need you on 17m, which I initially thought would be an easy one. Usually signals from South-East Asia are very strong in the 15/16Z time frame in Europe, when I come home from work. But no so with XZ1J, I could barely recognise someone on frequency.

To make it short, there is still also some demand in Europe for XZ1J, which also should be realized.

73 de Gary, DF2RG
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2013, 05:48:00 AM »

Gary- I will try to set up RTTY tomorrow, but will probably only be 100 watts until the last days.

Tonight i relieved our day shift guys and turned the beam LP to NA. I tried for 2.5 hrs on 10 and then 12 meters to work NA. I managed to work a few VE1's but no great opening like two days ago.

Now I see on Spaceweather.com there is a new X class solar flare.

Paul N6PSE
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: