Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XZ1J - Myanmar November 15-26th  (Read 30481 times)
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2013, 07:37:12 PM »

Well here goes my 15M CW report from east Texas. The signal came out of noise (which was  zero) about 0005. Peaked to S5 about 0020. Was gone by 0030. I never heard the SSB station. When I could hear the CW station. They were working JA. A few west coast. For a short period of time, should have been workable even from my mobile antenna. I did hear a 5 or two get through on the peak. Yet many JAs were sure making the log.

The 40M CW LP signal peaked here for a few minutes around 2340 Z. I had high QRN S5 - S7. Yet I was hearing XZ. Some 5's got through. I hope I was one.

73 Tony N5UD/M
WO2C

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2013, 08:18:46 PM »

I'm glad some NA stations have been able to work XZ1J. From my QTH in the Mojave Desert, I've yet to hear them well (usually an S1 to S2 on SSB). Those times I have, the pileup has been so insane, I've not bothered to call (I operate portable, 100 watts, wire antenna). I don't see the point in contributing to the QRM.
Still, with good propagation and after all the JA's have made it into their log, we might all have a chance. Myanmar would be an ATNO for me, as I'm sure it would be for many.
Here's to good DX and safe travels home to the team.
Ray, WO2C
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:26:56 PM by WO2C » Logged
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2013, 09:10:43 PM »

Ray, you should consider visiting a friend with an Amp and Yagi. Even the big guns in W6 have not been very strong here. I have email from friends who were calling with 100 watts and a Yagi and I did not hear them.
WO2C

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »

Hello, Paul, and thank you for replying to my post. I admit, if I had such a friend nearby, I might be tempted to do that. But, I'm not sure I could consider that actually "working" XZ1J. But, as I've become something of a student of propagation and signal paths, this does make me wonder about my brief but pleasant QSO with VU3WIJ two days ago.
With a somewhat similar signal path, and Shanji's antenna undoubtedly doing most of the work, we exchanged 59 signal reports (Shanji was actually well over S9) on 20 meter SSB at 0140Z. I can only hope that similar, excellent propagation occurs while you're there in Myanmar.
Also, for whatever it may be worth, great propagation in a somewhat opposite direction allowed me to work Daniel, ZD7DL, earlier that same day (53 signal report).
Come what may, enjoy yourself and again, safe travels home.
Ray, WO2C
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2013, 10:10:57 PM »

Just remember, one has to be a pessimist to become a great dxpedtioner Cheesy  They are trained and conditioned to look at things from a worse-case scenario Smiley  Put in your best effort and hopefully you will be rewarded with a Q.  GL.

Jonathan W6GX
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2013, 04:34:48 AM »

Just got them on 12 SSB, thanks Peter W2IRT for the spot!
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2013, 04:47:32 AM »

Interesting how Myanmar is allowing visitors more than ever before:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/world/myanmar-burma-facing-challenges-after-huge-tourism-growth/story-fnjjva7c-1226761249748
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2013, 04:51:31 AM »

Peter, W2IRT thanks so very much for your cluster comments.  They are definitely a tremendous help.

73 Randy AJ7G
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2013, 05:30:53 AM »

Glad to help Grin
Definitely better LP on 12 and 17 and SP on 15. Signals on 17 were gangbusters. Weaker on 12 but always copyable, albeit with some difficulty with a bit of QSB and QRM.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2013, 06:13:34 AM »

The problem here at my qth is on 17 and 15 LP and SP were both fairly strong so the echo was terrible this am but it was nice to hear a good signal from Myanmar.  I did happen to get them on 12 SSB LP which surprised me cause their signal wasn't that strong.  Today was the first day I've ever been able to hear Myanmar this well for this long of a period of time so hopefully things are looking up.  Thanks for the help Peter!

73 Randy AJ7G
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2013, 06:29:37 AM »

They are gonna have to get a LOT better before I spend much time trying.   I have heard them several times on several bands, but very weak,(as anticipated on the vertical) and the slightest bit of QRN/QRM or QSB and I miss a call or so.  Cant really get in the calling sequence with only about 35% copy, so rather than become QRM, I will just wait a couple days.

I had no idea of even hearing Myanmar OR Bangladesh, but I think I may be able to work the S2, as they are louder here than the XZ. Perhaps later in the week.... Undecided

Strange tho....... I worked damn near everything all around these two "thorns in my side" Angry

73, Gene AF3Y
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2013, 06:35:59 AM »

Hi guys, we have just finished a very nice two hour run with North America on 12 CW and SSB (at the same time). We had our beams pointed at 190 degrees for LP to North America. I was on SSB and Rafael was on CW.  I was working EU and hoping that North America would start calling, when I heard Peter W2IRT come through loud and clear. I had a good run working K1-W6. All signals were pretty weak and there were a few times when it seemed like the band closed, only to have it open again.

EU was pretty good about standing by, however I had many US stations calling out of turn with no self discipline or respect for others. That really slowed things down.  All in all, we made a lot of NA contacts. We will continue to beam LP at our evening near sunset.

Paul N6PSE
K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2013, 07:47:13 AM »

Hi guys, we have just finished a very nice two hour run with North America on 12 CW and SSB (at the same time). We had our beams pointed at 190 degrees for LP to North America. I was on SSB and Rafael was on CW.  I was working EU and hoping that North America would start calling, when I heard Peter W2IRT come through loud and clear. I had a good run working K1-W6. All signals were pretty weak and there were a few times when it seemed like the band closed, only to have it open again.

EU was pretty good about standing by, however I had many US stations calling out of turn with no self discipline or respect for others. That really slowed things down.  All in all, we made a lot of NA contacts. We will continue to beam LP at our evening near sunset.

Paul N6PSE

Thanks for being on the right freq at the right time. Worked you on 12m SSB for a new country.

73 Dragan K0AP
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2013, 07:59:09 AM »

Many thanks Paul,

I made it into the log on 12m ssb this morning Long Path. It was very difficult since XR0ZR  was about 8 khz below and the frenzied EU pileup was all over your tx frequency. Somehow I got through in one of the short non QRM moments.

73 Mark N1UK
W9YE

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2013, 08:00:25 AM »

Paul:  Thanks for the persistence and patience during the 12 meter opening to NA you referenced above.  For a few minutes, the SSB op seemed to be calling "by the numbers," listening for call area number 2.  This actually seemed to slow the rate for a minute or two.  Thankfully, this was quickly abandoned and all NA callers were being worked.  Have fun and stay well.

73/DX de

Gavin W9YE
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: