Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wide band key clicks = defective keying = QSD  (Read 4767 times)
GW3OQK

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2013, 02:19:17 AM »

How about giving 599K QSD to stations which splatter their key clicks many kHz either side? (Having made sure your signal is clean of course.) Personally I hardly ever work such stations but wouldn't we be doing everybody a favour if we did report it?.

I WELCOMED receiving a QSD report some time ago and it turned out the negative lead had come off the 13.8v psu. 
Andrew
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 02:16:46 PM »

Signal reports sent should honest and accurate.

Signal reports received should be accepted with the attitude that they are meant to aid the recipient in improving his station and operating techniques.

An automatic "599" is pointless. 
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »

Certainly no fan of the automatic RST of 599 and I would rather folks would be realistic. How many signals actually ever qualify to be rated "Extremely Strong"? Most I can honestly hand out are 7's and 8's for the most part. 
I'd rather not receive a 599 because I realize it not to be accurate. Some folks may take it wrong for not receiving a 599 but I guess that's not me.Same for telling me I'm not chirping when I am aware of it.That would rate a 599C I believe, hi.
   Smiley
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 07:04:55 PM »

A 577CC for Clicks and Chirps has been sent more than once.
Dick KH2G
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 01:50:31 AM »

Good Idea.  A SDR radio makes the best possible spectrum analyzer for detecting splatter and key clicks. If you dont own one you can use one of the remote
receivers. It is astonishing the number of clicky radios that are on during the contest. Mostly the popular FT1000MP. However there are a lot of operators
who have bad radio and amplifier relay timing that is causing keying transients.

The splatter is a real problem, again this can easily be spotted by a good SDR receiver. The majority of the culprits who splatter are the Audiophool ESSB practitioners and
the CB hams who cant seem to leave their CB amplifiers on the 11 meter band. The usual LIDS are there as well.

I must say that the vast majority of hams are doing the right the thing and producing acceptable  signal quality. Its just that small band of ignorant hams who have
technical aptitude who cause the damage. Its very easy to drive any radio on CW or SSB to produce a clean signal if you took some time to  to monitor your signal on a second receiver.
GW3OQK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 01:42:31 AM »

Hello Zenki
I was intrigued by the wide band webSDR display here http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ that showed me some CW signals with wide band splatter. (Even showed me tuning up with 5 watts.) My ears easily tell me when a station is splattering wide band clicks many kHz either side of his signal. Sometimes I think it's on purpose. "I am a high powered contest station so I am entitled to QSD to attract attention and keep my own channel clear."

This coming weekend's Home Brew and Old Time Party http://www.qrpcc.de/contestrules/hotr.html  will have some old chirpy signals on air, including mine. Personally I LIKE to hear the chirp of old gear and will give it a true report (eg 559C) but I DISLIKE wide band clicks which interfere with my use of our precious spectrum. So its 599K QSD to them, unless they have hum on their signals due to ripple on their linear's psu, in which case its 598K QSD.

Andrew
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 03:01:18 AM »

Andrew despite this wonderful resource at websdr.org, you will still find that  these stubborn operators who will call you names, tell you receiver stinks, your noise blanker is on
and that you should take your old fart medicine.  All they would have to do is monitor their signal on the remote websdr receiver for the truth. A picture is worth a 1000 words!

Its just unfortunate that some stations dont want to confront the truth that they are incompetent at running a transmitter and amplifier without causing splatter and keyclicks.  This is before we start talking about hams who think that its a badge of honor using RM CB amplifiers on the ham bands and that they are wonderfully clean. Websdr.org will tell the truth, the operators just wont accept this truth  from other operators or technology. How do you correct recalcitrant  LID behaviour ?  The websdr receiver is an independent  arbitrator,  and I just find it incredible that  many  operators   wont accept the result when they are told that they are splattering and clicking  A quick check would give them all the answers. Maybe the  truth  is too confronting, who knows.

WebSDR is  an excellent remote receiver  resource, we just need more servers like this around the world. In reality if these SDR receiver were calibrated to be ITU compliant  it would very easy for anyone  to  get an honest signal quality evaluation check on any mode. All it would require is someone to do the hard work by using the ITU guidelines for radio monitoring by calibrating and providing appropriate pass/masks for various modes.

Technology is marvelous. Maybe we should organize radio and amplifier burning at hamfests, this may be the only way to get rid of these horrible radios and amplifiers.

Hello Zenki
I was intrigued by the wide band webSDR display here http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ that showed me some CW signals with wide band splatter. (Even showed me tuning up with 5 watts.) My ears easily tell me when a station is splattering wide band clicks many kHz either side of his signal. Sometimes I think it's on purpose. "I am a high powered contest station so I am entitled to QSD to attract attention and keep my own channel clear."

This coming weekend's Home Brew and Old Time Party http://www.qrpcc.de/contestrules/hotr.html  will have some old chirpy signals on air, including mine. Personally I LIKE to hear the chirp of old gear and will give it a true report (eg 559C) but I DISLIKE wide band clicks which interfere with my use of our precious spectrum. So its 599K QSD to them, unless they have hum on their signals due to ripple on their linear's psu, in which case its 598K QSD.

Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: