Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorola MSR-2000 and packet radio.  (Read 14647 times)
N2YDC

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2013, 08:11:52 AM »

Has anyone used a Motorola MSR-2000 as a packet digipeater. Looking to put one up at the work QTH to make it easier for me to hop around to various PBBS here in NYC. I'll just rely on the built PBBS software that's in the KPC3+

Thanks de Arnold
N2YDC@KB2VLX
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 11:32:55 AM »

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay overkill for a packet digi. All you need is a VHF radio. If you are stuck on Motorola, go with a 45W GM300.
N2YDC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 04:13:23 PM »

Thanks for reply. MSR-2000 is a throw away from the work QTH. New Motorola Turbo sysytem going in and my boss said I could have the MSR-2000 or simply throw it out. I might use it for APRS.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 06:17:47 AM »

Seriously, you don't need a "repeater" for APRS or packet. You need a good 35 - 50 watt simplex radio.

A repeater transmits and receives on 2 different frequencies at the same time.

A digipeater receives on a simplex frequency, stores the info, and the retransmits the received info on the same simplex frequency.
NJ1K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 05:49:24 AM »

Seriously, you don't need a "repeater" for APRS or packet. You need a good 35 - 50 watt simplex radio.

A repeater transmits and receives on 2 different frequencies at the same time.

A digipeater receives on a simplex frequency, stores the info, and the retransmits the received info on the same simplex frequency.

He indicated the MSR-200 was FREE... Just because it's a repeater doesn't meen it can't be configured to work simplex.  Still cheaper than something he would have to pay for...  Or do I detect some envy here?
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »

Absolutely NO envy here. He might want to consider using the repeater as a repeater and getting a cheap, VHF mobile to do APRS.

NA4IT... OUT
N2YDC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 05:34:42 PM »

Im in NYC the Jamming capitol of the east coast!! Way too many voice repeaters here and 50% of them are being jammed. I'm going to set the repeater to transmit approx. 60 watts as a packet digi. I will eventually set up a full service BBS and possibly a APRS digi. Thanks for the input guys!! The location its going in is free. Emergency power is available in that it is a Hopital/University and has four massive generators. N4IT you have a very good point but my friends that are helping me out say that I'm going to have a kick ass digi hihi. I dont think many ops run high power from PBBS's. It is not like the early 90's when you sent an unproto qra and 10 different stations locally would id. The days of op-hopping are over. Not many packet ops out there. Again i really appreciate the input. I'll keep you posted if still interested.

73 de Arnold N2YDC

N2YDC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »

Sorry NA4IT i wrote your call incorrectly
NJ1K

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 07:32:05 PM »

MSR2000 for digipeater rated for continuous TX duty... What more could one ask for?? Awsome..
KB4VVE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 07:24:39 AM »

Yes, and while he'll need a T/R relay to run simplex on one antenna, the MSR2000 reciever has super selectivity in the RF.  Nice to have in NYC!
Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: