Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Supply Considerations  (Read 1319 times)
KU8K

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »

This might be a stupid question, but I'm looking to buy a new power supply and I ran across this question.  Is it better to have a power supply that can handle more than your radio requires, so it doesn't work as hard or should you try to match needs to output?  For instance if your radio requires 23amps would it be better to buy a 25 or 30amp power supply.  Or doesn't it really matter? 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 01:40:57 PM »

Like everything else, if you run your power supply to capacity, it will last, but not as long as one that isn't.  I usually go by the rule of thumb that my elmer taught me.  Multiply your amperage by 1.2, then plan your purchase so that you'll buy the next higher common supply.  So, if your greatest total amperage to be drawn is 25 amps, 25 x 1.2 = 30.  Don't buy anything smaller than a thirty amp supply, and a 35 may well be better.  You'll have additional capacity if you add something (another receiver or piece of ancillary equipment) to the supply circuit.  Good luck and 73!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: