Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-950 with signalink  (Read 2355 times)
KI4SJU

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:07:31 PM »

I have a Yaesu FT-950 that I use with a signalink usb for psk31 on DM780. I need help getting my 950 to do cw with the signalink and DM780. Can anyone help me with setting it up to get a great clean signal? Thanks.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 09:23:51 AM »

Try searching the discussions--there's a search feature for the forums.  I'm pretty sure this has come up before.  There's also a really nice FT-950 Yahoo group, and I'm pretty sure it's been discussed there, too.  And I believe the archives of the group are searchable.

Sorry I can't be more help; I use the signalink and 950 but I do my CW by hand.  One of these days I'll look into doing it by machine, I guess, but not quite yet.

73 GL!  --ken
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 04:38:42 AM »

I have a Yaesu FT-950 that I use with a signalink usb for psk31 on DM780. I need help getting my 950 to do cw with the signalink and DM780. Can anyone help me with setting it up to get a great clean signal? Thanks.

The only method of operating CW with your SignaLink USB and DM780 will be modulated CW which you will transmit with the rig in the SB Mode.

If you want to transmit in the CW mode you can purchase a K1EL Winkyer. That allows you to operate in the CW mode with the radio.

I have a FT-950, SignaLink and also the Winkeyer. The Winkeyer does a great job. Google K1EL and you will find his website.
KI4SJU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 04:20:21 PM »

Thanks for the help so far,  but I was just wanting to know what settings to put the 950 and what to set my dm780 and what to set my signalink to.
WD8KNI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 02:24:09 AM »

Pick any settings you want, but as others have said, you can't legally do it without other hardware, posting your curt comments regarding the help you received does not make your problem go away.

"but I was just wanting to know what settings to put the 950 and what to set my dm780 and what to set my signaling to"

is not the way to get additional help. 

You were give the correct answers, before this post. 

There is a mode called MCW (modulated CW)  that the signal link supports and in my opinion illegally recommends, however much discussion has been had regarding its legality on the HF bands.  see http://forums.qrz.com/archive/index.php/t-252871.html which has a signal link response, and other archives here to read about it.  Other devices CORRECTLY key the CW line via a parallel port, or other means.

My opinion it that it is not legal.  Your opinion may be different.  If your opinion is different, it's your license not mine.  We faced the same dilemma years ago with FSK vs AFSK (RTTY) long before the internet..  Since you spend time on PSK31 with a SignaLink, you also have heard beeps/blops and other illegal modulation on those frequencies from hams who know not what they do.. I will call it the "plug and play" new ham world we live in.

The argument revolves around what can be detected from the receiver end, much like is stealing ok if I don't get caught..   Good luck with any decision you make on legality.  Personally I terminate any CW contact that mentions the use of MCW.. or SignaLink use on CW for transmit.. But thats my opinion..

Regards.. Fred 
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 03:04:39 AM »

Fred, you are misconstruing the (unfortunately-named) MCW mode in Ham Radio Deluxe with actual MCW transmissions.  The reason why MCW transmissions are not allowed is they are AM transmissions with the full carrier and with the CW component transmitted in both sidebands, thus requiring a significantly-larger bandwidth than is necessary to convey the information.  MCW does have an use; for example it is use in MW aeronautical beacons, but is NOT allowed on the HF amateur bands. 

Now, HRD's "MCW" is not any different than AFSK; it injects a single tone in the audio channel creating a single CW signal that, if setup properly, is indistinguishable from normal CW much like AFSK is indistinguishable from FSK when configured properly.  The key is that it needs to be configured properly for clean operation.

Since you spend time on PSK31 with a SignaLink, you also have heard beeps/blops and other illegal modulation on those frequencies from hams who know not what they do.. I will call it the "plug and play" new ham world we live in.

Based upon your quote, it sounds like you equate the "beeps/blobs and other illegal modulation" below to things such as AFSK, PSK, MFSK and other more exotic modulations, all of which are legal.  I read into this that if it isn't CW or real FSK or voice, it is illegal in your opinion?  Is that what you are saying?  If so, you really might want to move out of the mid-20th century and join us here in the 21st where digital modes are fully embraced in the regulations.   

However, as you say, it is your license and you can do what you want.  I personally have no qualms using any of the digital modes (except ROS!) and have no qualms using audio-injected CW when necessary.  In fact, I challenge you to have a QSO with me and tell me whether I'm using audio-injected CW (HRD's so-called MCW) or regular CW on my K3. 

73 de Dave
K3DCW
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 03:07:12 AM »

Thanks for the help so far,  but I was just wanting to know what settings to put the 950 and what to set my dm780 and what to set my signalink to.

KI4SJU,

All you need to do is setup your 950 the same way you do PSK31; make sure you have ZERO (zip, nada, none) ALC action on the display.  Select CW (SSB) in DM780 v6+, CW (MCW) in DM780 5 and before, and you'll be good to go.  Keep an eye on that ALC...you don't want any ALC action.  If the ALC kicks in, it can induce some distortion which will make your signal dirty...just like overdriving the ALC action using PSK31 will do. 

Dave
K3DCW
WD8KNI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 05:27:50 AM »

Dave, I actually am not confused about anything, Instead of asking for clarification you immediately assumed..  You used the term "You are" not "are you" grammatical mistake.  Actually I fully understand MCW its actual definition and how others misuse it.

The bloops/blops I am talking about is coming from misconfigured software, where windows peeps, (ping you just got mail) and other such stuff are actual sounds that are being generated inside windows and being retransmitted by the sound card.  Which is absolutely illegal in the CW band segments.  I am also talking about sidebands being generated from misconfigured AFSK signals, that would never exist if the mode was being generated FSK.

You did however use one term very correctly "if setup correctly".  In the past if you knew enough about the characteristics of the mode you were using you knew how to make sure your transmissions were legal.  Not so in todays untechnical licensing practices.  I rest my case just by looking at the waterfall display any day of the week, I more correctly should say any minute of the hour.

In the 70's I was one of the first using AFSK, and a huge proponent of using it.  Also a huge proponent of making sure your equipment was properly setup so the mode was transmitted properly, and you have the equipment to make sure you signals were legal. 

I don't have any problems with how the mode is generated thats why we are hams.  That is not my issue at all, my issue is simple..  However you generate the mode is immaterial, if you generate it improperly causing an improper signal, you are operating illegal, that 100% lies with the operator.  It is not a technical issue with the equipment it is an operator who does not understand the mode, and how the mode is generated.

Just as you had to explain "Keep an eye on that ALC...you don't want any ALC action.  If the ALC kicks in, it can induce some distortion which will make your signal dirty"  a huge percentage of todays hams don't understand the mode, just make any setting they like and go for it. 

When I see something like "what setting do I need," I can't help but take it that someone doesn't understand the mode or the question would not arise.   

As for working you using audio generated CW.. don't have a problem with that at all, always welcome good technical discussions and friendship in the hobby... BTW, my key does not generate audio hope that doesn't confuse you  Wink  Regards.. Fred
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 06:23:19 AM »

The only method of operating CW with your SignaLink USB and DM780 will be modulated CW which you will transmit with the rig in the SB Mode.

If you want to transmit in the CW mode you can purchase a K1EL Winkyer. That allows you to operate in the CW mode with the radio.

I have a FT-950, SignaLink and also the Winkeyer. The Winkeyer does a great job. Google K1EL and you will find his website.

Not true! I use DM780 and you absolutely can do "real" CW with it. All you need is an open serial port or USB port (and a USB-to-serial converter). I put a dual port serial card in my PC just for this purpose; one for CW and the other for FSK RTTY. The "interface" for keying CW consists of a single transistor and a single resistor.

Here are the plans: http://www.aa5au.com/rttyinterface.html

Of course you will still need the soundcard interface to get the audio from your radio into your PC to decode CW using DM780.

Good luck!
KI4SJU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 03:32:14 PM »

Thanks so much Dave for your help! That's exactly what I was looking for. I was not being rude to anyone for their help unlike Fred was being.  Why do people have to be like that? We are here to help each othet not be rude. Thanks
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 05:59:51 PM »

The bloops/blops I am talking....... BTW, my key does not generate audio hope that doesn't confuse you  Wink  Regards.. Fred

Snipped short for brevity's sake. 

Fred, I'm glad that we agree that all of those modes are not illegal and I appreciate you clarifying.  Yes, all of those Windows sounds and the poorly modulated signals are indeed a nuisance, but I've seen just as many from "old-timers" who are confused by all of this new-fangled technology  and who can barely turn on their computer let alone configure their sound card; as I've seen from the new untechnical licensee (obtained my licenses in 2009 so I guess I'm part of the unwashed masses) who don't understand the effect that ALC can have on a signal.  Then add into the mix the fact that on certain rigs (like my K3), you NEED to have some ALC action or the DSP will start pumping the signal causing all kinds of messy artifacts.  Ultimately, as we agree, it comes down to properly configuring the rig and computer. 

Since KI4SJU is already setup for PSK31 (hopefully correctly), it is a small hop, skip and a jump from there to operating CW via the SignaLink.  Going into the legality of it isn't the answer...emphasizing that QUALITY is the #1 factor should be.  Yes, ideally the world would still operate pure CW and pure FSK, but that genie is never going back in the bottle; so rather than arguing about that, should the focus be on educating as many people as possible about the importance of configuring everything properly?

Oh, and my keys and/or keyboards don't do audio injection either....pure keyed CW here, although I **CAN** do clean audio-injected if I have to.

73 and I hope to see you on the air sometime (I truly mean that)

Dave
K3DCW
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 06:04:19 PM »

Thanks so much Dave for your help! That's exactly what I was looking for. I was not being rude to anyone for their help unlike Fred was being.  Why do people have to be like that? We are here to help each othet not be rude. Thanks

Glad to help...and don't be hard on Fred; his points are VERY valid.  You need to make sure on the 950 that you have ZERO ALC action when operating PSK31 or AFSK RTTY or audio-injected CW.  ALC will induce distortion, which causes interference to everyone. 

Ultimately, if you get serious about CW and still want to use DM780, then look at building a CW interface to key the CW keying port as suggested by NOIU or look at getting a Winkeyer.  Neither is required, but having them will guarantee clean CW and will let you narrow the filters down on the 950 even tighter. 

Dave
K3DCW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: