Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simplify shack with Kenwood TS-2000?  (Read 10731 times)
KD7SKY

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2013, 10:29:11 AM »

I'm thinking seriously of getting rid of my old Icom IC-761 HF and Yaesu VHF mobile radios in the shack and just getting a Kenwood TS-2000.  I think it would simplify things quite a bit.  I like the idea of having a "shack in the box" base station.  I was also looking at the new Icom "shack in the box" radio but it's twice the price of the TS-2000.  Sure the Icom IC-9100 has newer tech, but is it really worth twice the price of the TS-2000?  I realize there is always the risk of something happening to the TS-2000 and eliminating my entire base station communications, but really, how often does something like that actually happen?  I do have other radios for other purposes, such as an FT-817 for SOTA, a mobile 2m/440 radio for the car, and a couple of 2m/440 handhelds.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has gone to a "one radio to rule them all" shack, and if so how did it work for you?  Also, if you can think of any other CONS to what I'm thinking of doing, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Jody, KD7SKY

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 09:59:32 AM »

The 2000 is a very primitive radio today in DSP world. It is long overdue a update/replacement. Not sure why you would want to update shack with a new 14 year old rig. While it is a shack in a box, it does not really doing anything first rate. It is a great concept and if they would come out with a new updated one I too would look at it but not that one. Even 480 has a MUCH better HF receiver than 2000.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KG4PES

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 02:51:03 PM »

I purchased my TS-2000X in 2001 and built my entire shack around this rig.  Thus far I have been thrilled with it from hanging out on the repeaters, to working HF, satellite, digital, and everything in between.  This rig has left me not wanting for anything.  Listen not to the naysayers about how old the technology is, how it does nothing great, truth is the rig works great and is very reliable.   If you ask me is even a good looking rig and many think it's ugly, I guess they all want the standard square box.  The menu system is easy to learn, and not something you need to spend a lot of time using.  It has enough nobs and buttons on the front coupled with a function button to double the use of most everything, to allow you fast and easy access to all the settings you need to mess with often. 

While to previous poster may call the DSP primitive, I will tell you it is perfectly functional easy to use and very effective. 

I spend a ton of time looking for a reason to replace this rig with something newer, something better, and yet I just can't seem to find any reason to do so.  I would venture to say that for most hams this rig really has everything you need and will leave you quite satisfied as a daily go to shack in a box.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 05:10:59 PM »

While to previous poster may call the DSP primitive, I will tell you it is perfectly functional easy to use and very effective. 

It is indeed primitive. If you used it side by side with say a 590 you would see how primitive it is. While analog has been mature for some time, IF DSP is still maturing and in 99 it was VERY immature. Glad you like your rig but if you used even a 480 next to it you would clearly see it is lacking.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KG4PES

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 06:40:04 PM »

I have used both the 480 and 590 and I do understand that they are quite the leap forward for DSP technology.  However, the OP was asking about a shack in a box ala the TS-2000.  While I would love to see an updated variant of the ts-2000 with modernized DSP the fact is the TS-2000 DSP is quite good in the context of what you can find in a shack in a box rig.  I would certainly not discount the TS-2000 based on the DSP, if the OP wants a true shack in a box all bands all modes I say the TS-2000 is very much that rig.  The only other option is really the Icom 9100, and at about 2x the cost I can't find 2x the performance .  
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:42:42 PM by KG4PES » Logged
K1OC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 07:58:16 PM »

I like having separate radios for VHF/UHF and HF so I can listen to and occasionally chat on the local repeaters while working DX.

73 de Tony K1OC

KG4PES

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 08:13:44 PM »

I like having separate radios for VHF/UHF and HF so I can listen to and occasionally chat on the local repeaters while working DX.

73 de Tony K1OC

You can do this on the TS-2000, main band HF sub band VHF/UHF I do it every day.  I even still get A an B VFO's on the main band receiver for HF work.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:17:05 PM by KG4PES » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 07:05:03 AM »

73 de Tony K1OC

You can do this on the TS-2000, main band HF sub band VHF/UHF I do it every day.  I even still get A an B VFO's on the main band receiver for HF work.

Not at same time only one mic.

KG4PES

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 12:19:08 PM »

73 de Tony K1OC

Not at same time only one mic.

Maybe it's just me but I see my brain and mouth as the limiting factor in this situation.  Even if I had two mikes, I would find it difficlut to talk to two different people at the very same time while maintaining two different conversations.  For me it is just as easy to use the one mike listen to two different conversations and switch between main and sub to speak to each party in due turn for each conversation. 

I may not be the oldest dog so I am open to learning a few new tricks.  I would love to see a video of you carrying on two simultaneous conversations in which you were speaking/transmitting to two different people at the very same moment.   

I think I will wait and see what the OP has to say before responding anymore as I think we are getting onto a somewhat strange divergent path here. 
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »

I purchased my TS-2000X in 2001 and built my entire shack around this rig.  Thus far I have been thrilled with it from hanging out on the repeaters, to working HF, satellite, digital, and everything in between.  This rig has left me not wanting for anything.  Listen not to the naysayers about how old the technology is, how it does nothing great, truth is the rig works great and is very reliable.   If you ask me is even a good looking rig and many think it's ugly, I guess they all want the standard square box.  The menu system is easy to learn, and not something you need to spend a lot of time using.  It has enough nobs and buttons on the front coupled with a function button to double the use of most everything, to allow you fast and easy access to all the settings you need to mess with often. 

I spend a ton of time looking for a reason to replace this rig with something newer, something better, and yet I just can't seem to find any reason to do so.  I would venture to say that for most hams this rig really has everything you need and will leave you quite satisfied as a daily go to shack in a box.

Holy crap, I thought us K3 guys were zealots.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KG4PES

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 02:16:24 PM »

Holy crap, I thought us K3 guys were zealots.

And to think the only rigs I am considering aside from my trusty TS-2K is a K3 to sit next to my TS-2K and a KX3 for portable.  I wonder how those rigs will melt my brain and what sort of twisted zealot I will become at that point.  I never really thought of myself as a ts-2000 zealot, but i sure have spent a lot of time in this thread espousing it's splendor.  I guess there are worse things to be called,just ask my XYL she's got all kinds of names she calls me and not of them are nearly as nice a zealot:)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 04:51:00 AM »

Just my .02, but I would rather not put all my eggs in one basket.  I would prefer to have some sort of rig as a backup.  The 'shack in a box' concept is fine--until something goes wrong or comes up that that 'box' can't handle.  Then where are you?  73!
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 07:53:38 AM »

Hello, coming in late to the discussion but I'm thinking of getting a TS-2000 too. I am hoping to find out how it compares on HF to other dc-to-daylight rigs currently on the market if anyone can comment. I don't really care too much how it compares to dedicated HF rigs - I know there are better ones - but I'm strictly looking for a comparison to rigs like the IC-7000, IC-7100, FT-857, etc.

To give a bit of context, I will hopefully be getting a TS-590 or K3 soon and would like to have a 2nd rig to cover VHF all mode and serve as a back up HF rig.

Ray AG6WT (formerly KJ6AMF)
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 01:07:03 PM »

I realize it is not my money to spend but if the OP was looking for a more modern "Shack in the Box" with IF DSP and a better HF receiver maybe he would be interested in the Icom 9100. It's a bit more spendy but it is current technology. I don't have one so I can't make a first hand recommendation, but the guys in my club that do own one, really like it. I may be out of your price range and ignore this post if it is, but if you have the scratch, it may be a consideration. Best of luck to you.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 06:20:28 PM »

Spend the extra $100 and get a IC-7100. Newer tech. DSTAR, and nice form factor. Unless you need tracking satellite modes.

TS-2000 is a great radio, and they sound great on the air, but it is dated technology.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: