Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good price for 440sat?  (Read 2243 times)
KG6YSF

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2013, 10:40:56 PM »

I have an oportunity to pick up a Kenwood 440sat one owner very clean. What I want to know is how much would be a good price? I have never bought anything but a Yeasu 8900 a 2900 and a FT60 handheld. Those were new. My HF i got through a barter and is is ok but needs some tlc. I am hoping that this could do better for me and may allow me to get that Drake fixed up.
Well thanks for the help all.

Jason

"Rangers Lead The Way!"  "Sua Sponte"   "Litalis Velox Silens"
When all else fails ham radio is there!
FT2900, FT8900, VX6, Ft60, TS940SAT, Drake TR7, MFJ 969
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 08:26:30 AM »

440's are getting very long in tooth because of age. I would not pay much for it. Maybe 300 or so.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:16:55 PM »

I hope you`ve had a chance to see it in person and use it. Some of those had the dreaded potting glue problem,which caused distortion on ssb,and chirp on cw.(on transmit only) This doesn`t mean your rig is bad,but I would test it before buying it. Also make sure the display is operating properly.
KG6YSF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 08:53:38 PM »

Thanks for the info I have never heard of the problem with the potting glue.

I believe this one is good I am dealing with a friend, he has all sorts of stuff to sell because he is leaving the hobby. I will see if I can get a list of stuff or see if he wants to list it here. I will offer $200 for the radio if that seems fair to you all.

Thanks,

Jason 73s

AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 09:52:48 PM »

Thanks for the info I have never heard of the problem with the potting glue.

I believe this one is good I am dealing with a friend, he has all sorts of stuff to sell because he is leaving the hobby. I will see if I can get a list of stuff or see if he wants to list it here. I will offer $200 for the radio if that seems fair to you all.

Thanks,

Jason 73s

Jason,

Google "TS-440 dots" and you'll see many discussions about the glue problem. In a nutshell, several components on the circuit board have a  bonding glue to provide mechanical stability. Unfortunately, within a couple of decades the glue crystallizes and becomes conductive, making the transceiver non-functional. The most obvious symptom is that the LED display shows a series of dots instead of digits.

The glue can be removed but it takes quite a bit of work. If the current owner has done this and everything else is ok, it is probably a good one to buy. If the glue is still there but everything works, I'd buy it if it was under $300, price depending on condition and added options like crystal filters or MC-60 mic.

Good luck
Ray AG6WT
KG6YSF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 09:33:21 PM »

Ray

Thanks for the info I will look it up and ask Bill if he has done this or not. Appreciate the concise explanation on this issue with this series of transceiver. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: