Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How in the world do Hams scratch and dent their equipment  (Read 6396 times)
N4GKS

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2013, 04:27:59 PM »

Ebay is so full of radios with scratches and dents, I wonder if they use them for door stops. How does one abuse their equipment so badly?   Huh
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 05:36:06 PM »

Basically, the equipment abuse observed with cheap CB equipment on eBay 10 years ago, has now moved to Expensive Amateur Radio equipment.  You start to understand the Directed Anger toward:
Animals (household pets), Child abuse, Bullying, Domestic violence, Drug (self) Abuse, Rage Driving/Automotive accidents are other manifestations.

Talk to any person in warranty repair or local law enforcement --- more stories.

w9gb
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:42:46 PM by W9GB » Logged
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 06:38:13 PM »

Good question. Another would be how do rigs end up on e-pay with knobs missing,rusted from being underwater,etc. Or rigs with missing power cords. How do you lose a power cord that was only used for that one radio? Beats me.Probably the same mentality as putting bumper stickers all over a car they must not respect too much...
N4GKS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 07:08:42 PM »

Good question. Another would be how do rigs end up on e-pay with knobs missing,rusted from being underwater,etc. Or rigs with missing power cords. How do you lose a power cord that was only used for that one radio? Beats me.Probably the same mentality as putting bumper stickers all over a car they must not respect too much...

Funny you should bring up rust, power cords and mics. I saw a TS50 on Ebay that looked good until it showed a picture of the rear of the rig. Rusted bolts? How can that be? Rigs with no mics and or power cords. I saw a Icom 718 with a huge  scratch on the top of the cabinet and a big dent on the bottom. I've had rigs for years without a scuff mark. Go figure.
N4GKS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 07:15:51 PM »

http://forums.radioreference.com/attachments/amateur-radio-general-discussion/30164d1289070534-ars-k8cpa-shack-photo-newshackphoto2.jpg

I would think an example of this kind of abuse doesn't help.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:18:25 PM by N4GKS » Logged
N6GND

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 08:50:29 PM »

But it does look like a "non-smoking" environment.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 09:12:12 PM »

GB pretty well covers it except for one area.  I knew a physician who abused just about every piece of gear he owned simply because money was no object and to take care of something wasn't "necessary!" 

By the same token, it's been my observation that those who don't have much or can't afford to buy what they want when they want it, usually take care of what they have.

It's also been my observation that the further one goes down on the economic ladder, the more abusive they are toward whatever they own. 

I feel the reason(s) for this is best left to those who are professionally trained in the human mind.
N4GKS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »

I bought a rig at a hamfest from a "non smoking environment". The radio was ok but the box reeked. He must have smoked in the garage where the box was kept.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 09:44:23 AM »

I have a TS-520S that was fished out of a electronics recycling pile at the local dump... it has some rust on it (my guess it was from a SK and folks just wanted it tossed).

Most of my equipment stays in pretty good shape. I do my best to keep it from getting scratched, dented, dropped, run over by a steamroller, etc.

I see the way some people load up their stuff at hamfests.. they literally just toss things in a big pile in their car.. I can imagine that attributes to some damage over the years.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 10:26:11 AM »

Then you also have the ham who has several rigs and regularly switches them around, storing them in situations where damage may come to them from either falling or having something fall onto them.  A lot of times that is how broken/missing knobs/accessories happen too.  Heck, one older gent I knew had so many riga that when he went looking for a particular one for me, a stack of them simply toppled over.  His words were, oh, don't worry, those were all in the to-be-fixed pile.

Most hams have fairly well kept shacks, but some hams are absolute slobs--that much is well known already. 
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 03:37:02 PM »

I have too much gear and not enough room  so gear sits on gear and scratches sometimes, and ups/usps/fedex all have a hand in the dents part... Smiley
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 04:09:40 PM »

Ebay is so full of radios with scratches and dents, I wonder if they use them for door stops. How does one abuse their equipment so badly?   Huh

They use them? They're not appliance operators so gear in the shack gets moved about as they swap things in and out or plug and unplug things on the back of the radio.

A pristine radio suggests some sad sack who sits there in a surgically clean room and does nothing but talk to people in his shack which rarely changes from one decade to the next thus missing 99% of the hobby.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 04:11:09 PM »

Funny you should bring up rust, power cords and mics. I saw a TS50 on Ebay that looked good until it showed a picture of the rear of the rig. Rusted bolts? How can that be?

Its a mobile transceiver that hasn't been made for well over a decade. When its in a car/truck in winter it'll get damp overnight.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 07:46:16 PM »

If it is on ebay it may also be their second or third-line radio that has been sitting on a shelf someplace. Maybe they were also lending it out to someone else or it was their field day radio. After 5-10-15 years they decide to put it up for sale or they went SK and someone who had no idea what was there packed it up in a box and sent it out on consignment.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 09:08:09 PM »

A pristine radio suggests some sad sack who sits there in a surgically clean room and does nothing but talk to people in his shack which rarely changes from one decade to the next thus missing 99% of the hobby.

GOM:  No offense OM but you can fertilize 40 acres with that load!  I've been using some of my gear for over 30 years; I have guns that have spent each hunting season in the field for 50 years and I have tools that I've been using for 50 years and you will be hard pressed to find a scratch and absolutely no dents in any of it!  And you can take it to the bank that my stuff is used and is moved around.....for sure!

Accidents do happen.  I can understand that.  But the second "accident" indicates some kind of problem!

Al - K8AXW
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: