Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW  (Read 3780 times)
K9AIM

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2013, 05:49:17 PM »

So, I am not by any means a contest buff, but it seems to me the upcoming ARRL contest could be greatly improved by simplifying the exchange to callsign, the check (2 digit year of first license), and ARRL section.  Why give out the serial number and precendence  Huh

The stated contest objective is: For stations in the United States and Canada (including SS80.JPGterritories and possessions) to exchange QSO information with as many other US and Canadian stations as possible on 160, 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meter bands. 

Wouldn't a shorter exchange help said objective?

Also, what is up with the 2100 start and the 0300 finish?

flame-proof suit engaged...
WP2XX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 04:25:32 AM »

The answer to both, so far as I can tell, is summed in one word: Tradition.  Cool 

I like the exchange, as it's more of a challenge than the "other" exchanges.

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 04:48:45 AM »

Historically, Sweepstakes started out as a "simulated traffic" contest. Almost all the traffic itself has been removed but what remains is the outline of a traffic exchange.

There have been many changes in Sweepstakes over most of a century. It was once a TWO WEEK LONG contest.

The odd hours work very effectively, to even out the playing field and accommodate those whose religious practices prevent them from using the radio during the day on Saturday. I don't know if that was the intention but that's how it works out. Also it means that those who show up on Sunday as "Fresh Meat" spur a lot of continuing activity.

If the goal of your simplifications is to work 800-1000 QSO's in a shorter period, that would be NAQP. I recommend that as well. It's not sweepstakes. It's a hugely fun contest. There's also the NA Sprints which are only 4 hours and is the most intense contest out there in the way that frequencies change hands after every QSO so nobody is just sitting there running.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 01:49:39 PM »

thanks for the replies and clearing up why the exchange is more challenging.  The start times still seem weird, but I guess since this is a USA and Canada (and their territories) contest only they make sense too. 

Lips sealed

K0HB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:07:35 PM »

So, I am not by any means a contest buff, but it seems to me the upcoming ARRL contest could be greatly improved by simplifying the exchange to callsign, the check (2 digit year of first license), and ARRL section.  Why give out the serial number and precendence  Huh

The stated contest objective is: For stations in the United States and Canada (including SS80.JPGterritories and possessions) to exchange QSO information with as many other US and Canadian stations as possible on 160, 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meter bands. 

Wouldn't a shorter exchange help said objective?

The long 5-element exchange is what makes the contest attractive to many of us.  Unlike some contest with a fairly predictable exchange, this contest requires each operator to copy several unknown elements and thus tests your "radioman" skills.

If you don't like that sort of skill test, Sweepstakes perhaps isn't for you.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: