Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LoTW working pretty well  (Read 2999 times)
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »

In the contest I was only looking for band fills in particular on 10m and 15m.  My logging program identifies those stations that are registered on LoTW.  To be honest I wasn't even bothering the stations that are not using LoTW.  It seemed like all of the stations I worked (i.e. who uses LoTW) had pretty big pileups.  OTOH those stations I worked are less common.  I wonder if LoTW is affecting the contest scores significantly.  There's a local ham here who told me he operated in the contest exactly the same way I did.  It's something to think about as LoTW use becomes more widespread.

Jonathan W6GX

I only QSL via LoTW but I work everyone I can.  Just because they are not using LoTW now does not mean that they will not use it later.  I often get QSL's that are several years old from a station that recently signed up to LoTW.

Dave
NB3R

Roger, you can tell who just signed up with LOTW.

+ The login issue is universal.  It's been going on for months.   Usually works on the 2nd try.  It looks like the time to connect is short or something and if it can't get in quickly - it gets booted.

The site did handle the heavy workload recently very well.  
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:26:15 AM by WH7DX » Logged
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 11:07:26 AM »

I just uploaded a few QSOs from last night and it took a grand total of 4 min to show up. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N6GQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 07:42:38 PM »

I only QSL via LoTW but I work everyone I can.  Just because they are not using LoTW now does not mean that they will not use it later.  I often get QSL's that are several years old from a station that recently signed up to LoTW.

Dave
NB3R

This is very true.  If I see a new bandfill that I have never worked before I work them regardless of their LoTW status.  But on those bandfills where I have worked but no confirmation I'm only working those who are LoTW registered.  Even if they are registered doesn't mean they have uploaded recently.  I saw one station (YN2AA) on 10m before the contest that showed LoTW box checked but also that I had worked the same station prior on 10m but not yet confirmed.  I looked up his call in LoTW and he hasn't uploaded since 2010!  The following is my typical working pattern when not chasing ATNOs.

1. Work new bandfills with no previous contacts on that specific band regardless of LoTW status
2. Work new bandfills with previous unconfirmed contacts but only those with LoTW.
3. Work new bandfills with previous unconfirmed contacts but without LoTW; hopefully they will use LoTW in the future.  Of course I skip the station if I have already worked it on the same band in the past.  My logging program identifies if I already had a contact on the band.
4. Work new modes in particular digital mode.  I'm not chasing HR on CW but I'll use CW for ATNO or bandfills.

Chris NU1O- I use HRD or Ham Radio Deluxe.  I started with HRD and it's hard to switch once you are used to it.  There are many other excellent programs out there and I'm sure some will show LoTW.  On HRD it automatically downloads a LoTW membership roster.  On the cluster sub-screen it identifies when someone is a member of LoTW.  However like I said earlier membership doesn't mean a quick confirmation.  Some folks have stopped using LoTW like YN2AA and VP8LP.

Jonathan W6GX

Jonathan, I'm YN2AA. There were a few issues that came up with my LOTW account after the 2012 operation I did from YN (previous operation was 2010). As I remember LOTW had issues shortly after the 2012 CQWW SSB contest, and my QSL manager was holding off uploading until the LOTW issues were resolved. After they resolved, we had an issue with the account itself, and it took us a long time to get it resolved.

The 2012 (and 2013) logs are now uploaded and working.

So I haven't stopped using LOTW, we just had issues that took a long time to resolve.

73 de N6GQ, YN2AA, etc.

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 08:05:35 PM »

Jonathan, I'm YN2AA. There were a few issues that came up with my LOTW account after the 2012 operation I did from YN (previous operation was 2010). As I remember LOTW had issues shortly after the 2012 CQWW SSB contest, and my QSL manager was holding off uploading until the LOTW issues were resolved. After they resolved, we had an issue with the account itself, and it took us a long time to get it resolved.

The 2012 (and 2013) logs are now uploaded and working.

So I haven't stopped using LOTW, we just had issues that took a long time to resolve.

73 de N6GQ, YN2AA, etc.

Hi Jeff,

Yes, thank you very much for fixing the problem.  When I made this post I still haven't received your reply.  Later in a different post I mentioned that you have fixed the problem and I appreciate it.  I wasn't complaining about you.  I just wanted to let others know that just because someone is registered on LoTW it doesn't mean that all logs are uploaded to LoTW.  VP8LP is a good example.  He stopped using LoTW and he has no plans to go back.  Thanks again for fixing the problem so quickly after I contacted you.  Take care and 73.

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: