Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's just a hobby  (Read 5364 times)
W0GXA

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2013, 06:40:34 PM »

I rediscovered ham radio 3 years ago and jumped back into DXing and contesting and I'm having a ball.  I watched with great anticipation K9W as they went through the planning and Govt shutdown figuring this will probably be the last activation of this island. 

The day after they activated my doctor found something he didn't like and sent me for some tests to see if I have cancer (still awaiting results).  As I sat listening to the pileup and frequency cops, I noticed how the prospect of cancer takes the edge off the urgency to work a DXpedition.  At the same time, LIDs don't seem so annoying that one needs to get as worked up about them as some operators seem. 

Let's all remember it's just a hobby and let's keep it fun!

73, Bob
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 06:47:06 PM »

Hi Bob,

Thank you for putting things into the proper perspective. There are a lot more important things in life than working a new one.

Best wishes and welcome back this great hobby.

Jonathan W6GX
KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 07:07:14 PM »

Our thoughts are with you Bob.  Best wishes to you.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 07:13:38 PM »

Bob..... My prayers for a good report for you. Hang in there.

73, Gene AF3Y
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 07:32:32 PM »

Sounds like you should start thinking about making Meth for some extra $$$...  Roll Eyes

You'll be fine.  Positive thoughts.   Yes - Only a hobby.

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 08:15:48 PM »

Good luck Man....I hope it all works out for the best for you....Lord, please hear our plea for our ham radio friend....please let him be cancer free....

V
KA3NRX

AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 09:07:14 PM »

Good luck Man....I hope it all works out for the best for you....Lord, please hear our plea for our ham radio friend....please let him be cancer free....

V
KA3NRX

Amen Brother "Where there are two or more he will hear our prayers"
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 09:12:47 PM »

Sounds like you should start thinking about making Meth for some extra $$$...  Roll Eyes

You'll be fine.  Positive thoughts.   Yes - Only a hobby.

Now that "Heisenberg" is dead and "Breaking Bad" is over there is not a damn thing on TV!  I'll have to wait until 2014 baseball or the next episode of "Mad Men" whenever that is.

Bob, you are also in my prayers.  I was listening to a "Handi-Ham" last night and he credits ham radio for saving his life.  I hope the hobby gives you solace.

Chris  NU1O

WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 11:25:29 PM »

Sounds like you should start thinking about making Meth for some extra $$$...  Roll Eyes

You'll be fine.  Positive thoughts.   Yes - Only a hobby.

Now that "Heisenberg" is dead and "Breaking Bad" is over there is not a damn thing on TV!  I'll have to wait until 2014 baseball or the next episode of "Mad Men" whenever that is.

Bob, you are also in my prayers.  I was listening to a "Handi-Ham" last night and he credits ham radio for saving his life.  I hope the hobby gives you solace.

Chris  NU1O

Updated my Apple TV and signed up for Netflix unlimited for $8 a month and in the last 2 weeks I'm almost through Season 5.   Another great show was "The Shield" and I enjoy "Justified", "Sons of Anarchy" etc..

There you go Bob..   A good drink, some good DX, and some good TV entertainment.    Everyone's day comes eventually..  might as well enjoy it!!!
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 05:29:25 AM »

W0GXA wrote:
Let's all remember it's just a hobby and let's keep it fun!

I had a very sobering experience in 2008: a foolish accident in my own back yard involving an antenna and the HV line that crosses the yard.  I was very lucky to suffer no injuries whatsoever, but things could have easily gone the other way.  I wrote the story in the June 2010 issue of the K9YA Telegraph.   

Bob, I hope the results of your test are good news for you. 
73 & happy Dx'ing,
Chuck  NI0C
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 05:53:13 AM »

Thoughts with you Bob.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 06:05:38 AM »

Bob, one other thing:  You've probably already done the reading on this, but if not, the "disease-free survival" times for most cancers have gone WAY up in the last 20 years.  Treatment options are vastly better than they used to be, and lots of people have basically normal lives after treatment.  The word "cancer" is still frightening to hear, but the disease is a LOT less frightening than it used to be. 

Fingers crossed that nothing is seriously wrong with you!  73 GL!  --ken
NU8Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 06:17:37 AM »

Bob

Thanks for your perspective and reality check. Oh how true it is. We sometimes lose sight of the really important things. These things that happen in life have a way of re-calibrating us.
I have been where you are on this. Regardless of the results, things have a way of working out.
Good luck

Mark NU8Z
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 08:04:14 AM »

Chris/NU1O, I strongly recommend "Homeland" on Showtime.  And there is even a hilarious muppet parody of Homeland

http://mashable.com/2013/10/28/sesame-street-homeland-parody/

Homelamb
WA4053SWL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »

Chris/NU1O, I strongly recommend "Homeland" on Showtime.  And there is even a hilarious muppet parody of Homeland

http://mashable.com/2013/10/28/sesame-street-homeland-parody/

Homelamb
Positive thoughts for Bob, my prayers with you my friend.
To Chris also really like the series Mad Men (I listen very strong two hours ago on 14.011.1mhz).
73 GL
George WA4053SWL
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: