Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unwanted Videos Playing  (Read 4427 times)
KB5JOF

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2013, 06:14:14 AM »

I have a new HP computer running Windows 8.1.  When surfing the web (read reading the news) I keep getting advertising videos that play on top of what I am trying to read/watch.  Most of these adds appear to be from Walmart.  Does anyone have any ideas what program could be doing this.  I seldom visit sights other  than eqsl, qrz, eham.net, gmail, and yahoo so I don't think I should have picked up a bug.

KB5JOF
Joe
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:00:01 AM »

I recommend PC Decrapifier for any new PC.  It's free software that removes the bloatware that so many vendors include with new machines.  http://pcdecrapifier.com/download

Run it and then use Google to research each program it offers to remove.  You may be surprised at all the unnecessary software HP pre-installed on your PC.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 11:40:05 AM »

Spyhunter cleaned up some rare malware problems for me.  Otherwise Norton Antivirus has been very good for long term protection.
WA4BCS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 11:44:57 AM »

Download the manual for your computer, follow instructions to make restore disks or a restore thumb drive. Restore your computer and it will run a lot faster without all the garbage that HP puts on their computers.

Ben
WA4BCS
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 01:58:50 PM »

Download the manual for your computer, follow instructions to make restore disks or a restore thumb drive. Restore your computer and it will run a lot faster without all the garbage that HP puts on their computers.

Ben
WA4BCS

It has nothing to do with that but rather how much ram you have and size of swap file

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KB5JOF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 05:42:05 AM »

Thank Guys...  I took your advice.  Now we will see what happens.

KB5JOF
Joe
VE3WI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 10:15:56 AM »

I have the AdBlock plug-in installed in the web browser on several PCs.  Free & does a good job of getting rid of ads.  There's a paid version too but the free one works fine for me.  I have PCs running XP & Win7 & I use Firefox, but it's available for other browsers.

http://www.adblockplus.org/

Dave
VA3DLN
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 12:31:31 PM »

I recommend PC Decrapifier for any new PC.  It's free software that removes the bloatware that so many vendors include with new machines.  http://pcdecrapifier.com/download

Run it and then use Google to research each program it offers to remove.  You may be surprised at all the unnecessary software HP pre-installed on your PC.

The problem is the web not the PC. You need to block certain scripts to certain sites that piggy back on web pages. If you use Fire fox it has some free plug ins for it that will but a leash on it. Myself I have been using NoScript for years with Firefox and it works well

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 03:25:17 PM »

There are some ads that don't even require you to click on them to play--all you have to do is 'roll' your mouse cursor over the ad.  Comcast is one of the pages that have them--and they don't take much to start, just rolling over the corner of the ad is enough.  

Not saying that that is what you have, but just bringing attention to the existence of those ads.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:27:41 PM by K1CJS » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 05:49:29 AM »

If you use Firefox and NoScript plug in and take time to set it up it will block all of this.

KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 08:25:16 PM »

If you use Firefox and NoScript plug in and take time to set it up it will block all of this.

NoScript, I second that!  I d/l it probably a year ago.  It blocks a number of video's and such from even running.  IF you find something you want to watch, just click on the "options" tab and you can temporarily allow it.  It also keeps google, facebook, and sites like "quantserve" from taking control.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: