Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow! it's like a new radio : FT-817 speaker upgrade  (Read 8111 times)
AF6WL

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2013, 09:38:51 PM »

I was comparing the audio between my KX3 and FT-817 :
The FT-817 lost by a large margin - lots of distortion even at low volumes.

A while ago trying to improve the audio quality of my K1, which also had a cheap paper cone speaker, I ordered two small Neodymium magnet, Mylar cone speakers AS05008MR-4-R and AS05008MR-R

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/PUI-Audio/AS05008MR-4-R/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduiivYLHDCo0rrrKJR0%2fSirjAIaZYSe4rzduXq5v4jpm4A%3d%3d
and
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/PUI-Audio/AS05008MR-R/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduiivYLHDCo0ri1LwBucfnzBcjHznaQENqZYExXT9o6rFA%3d%3d

I used the AS05008MR-R in the K1, with battery pack option, with great results.

Today I replaced the speaker in my FT-817 with the AS05008MR-4-R and all I can say is wow ! what a transformation .
It's very LOUD, crystal clear, distortion and resonance free  Smiley CW and SSB clarity are transformed.
Broadcast WBFM music is now outstanding - I've been listening to local radio playing classic hits for the last couple hours and enjoying it !
The heavy frame of the FT-817 makes for a great little speaker cabinet - now it has a modern speaker.

The upgrade is easy to do; all I need to do was cut a few rubber washers to space out the speaker from the top cover and one to cushion the speaker frame against the Yaesu's existing bracket.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 06:10:56 AM »

Thanks for the info, I will order one of these speakers for my K-1 as I don't care for the flattish cw note from stock speaker so use head phones most the time. Another worth while addition to the K-1 is the use of a cheap outboard HyperMite audio filter especially used with the 2nd K1 filter setting.
KD0WZW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 07:04:01 AM »

thanks for the info, I ordered a couple myself to do my 817, and a spare to play with as well.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 12:03:05 PM »

Thanks for the tip on speakers.  Definitely something to consider for improving clarity and listening ease.  bill   
AF6WL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:38:40 PM »

I also upgraded my new FT-817ND as it sounded just about as bad as the old FT-817.
It turned out they had exactly the same speaker despite 10 years of production.

I used 3x 1mm/0.04" thick rubber washers to space the speaker ( I had PSA backed rubber, but 3M spray adhesive would work just as well )
Take care to note where each screw came from - there are three different types.

New Speaker on left:

New Speaker on left:

New Speaker on right: with 2mm of spacers

Now 3mm of spacers lower and the old foam ( just used to stop stuff sticking to the PSA ) plus one on the frame next to magnet and one piece incase the lower profile magnet slips

Ready to close the lid

M3KXZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 12:57:23 PM »

Brilliant upgrade this is, and it makes a great improvement to the audio clarity. Just done mine and it took all of 5 minutes.

I used a slightly different method in that I used just a 1.5mm spacer (I have some 0.75mm butyl pool membrane here and doubled that up) between speaker and case, and I removed the small rubber ring from the rear of the old speaker to use on the new one. To make it all tight, I just slightly bent the metal bracket. 

For those in the UK who don't want to pay £12 for delivery from Mouser, Digikey or RS, then you can buy the correct speaker from Maplin Electronics. Their catalogue number is N96FU, description "Mylar Speaker 50mm". The specs are identical to the one shown here, and the speaker is identical in appearance. The massive difference is the cost in shipping - I just bought 2 of the speakers at £2.49 each, and paid £7.97 for the pair of them, including postage.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: