The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightweight coax  (Read 4294 times)
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 03:04:24 AM »

Most RG316 is copper, there are high strength with CCS, Same for RG174.
The stiffness is from the PTFE.

If you need cable that is very limp RG174 is a good start.  There are
foamed dialectric version of RG316, very flexible but far from cheap.

Allison
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 03:23:10 AM »

Is the center conductor in the RG-316 multi-stranded copper-clad steel?

Single conductor

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20 WPM Extra
KC8FQD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 06:39:27 PM »

Perhaps they're using LMR-100?  Huh

I think it's a little lower loss (more-so at VHF/UHF if memory serves) and not crazy expensive.

https://www.timesmicrowave.com/documents/resources/LMR-100A.pdf
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 07:54:52 PM »

I saw the same spool of smaller coax at a hamfest last weekend.  My notes say it was Belden 9364,
but that is a 3-conductor shielded wire, so I suspect it was Belden 9264 instead.

That's listed as an audio cable, tear-shaped (machine strippable), 0.122 x 0.144", with a foamed
polypropylene insulation.  No losses specified for HF.  Weight is 12 pounds / 1000', or about half
the weight of RG-58, and 33% more than RG-174.
KE0ZU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 08:51:36 PM »

I was given almost a mile of RG-174 by a friend who is now a silent key.   I use it everywhere shielded is called for, needless to say.   I use primarily BNC crimp connectors and shrink sleeve as an earlier poster noted.   although it'll handle a hundred watts or so on the low bands, I certainly wouldn't use it outside, its just not up to the task.   If outside is a must, I'd use RG-316 or RG-58.

It is sensitive to heat but thats and easy problem to solve with some normally closed tweezers, hemostats, or a pair of needle nose pliers with a rubber band around the handles.

These connections certainly aren't flight worthy, but in the shack none have failed for the last 5 years or more.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 08:58:29 PM by KE0ZU » Logged
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 04:15:31 AM »

Spiderbeam advertises that their OCF ("asymmetrical") dipole comes with 40 feet of an unnamed lightweight coax... Anyone have an idea what the special coax is?
Steve in QRPinawa

I would e-mail them and ask for the cable "specs".
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 07:26:16 AM »

I was given almost a mile of RG-174 by a friend who is now a silent key.   I use it everywhere shielded is called for, needless to say.   I use primarily BNC crimp connectors and shrink sleeve as an earlier poster noted.   although it'll handle a hundred watts or so on the low bands, I certainly wouldn't use it outside, its just not up to the task.   If outside is a must, I'd use RG-316 or RG-58.

It is sensitive to heat but thats and easy problem to solve with some normally closed tweezers, hemostats, or a pair of needle nose pliers with a rubber band around the handles.

These connections certainly aren't flight worthy, but in the shack none have failed for the last 5 years or more.

We used miles and miles of RG174 and thousands on crimp on BNC connector for it on patch panels in flight test many years ago. Properly terminated it is quite fly worthy.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20 WPM Extra
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: