The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elecraft K1 discontinued  (Read 6727 times)
KJ6DRG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 08:11:50 PM »

I heard there was a shift away from kits with elecraft. i hope that is not true. Thats what got them started. Of course with the shift in technology, they may have no choice.
The older Elecraft offerings (KX1, K1, and K2) were/are excellent kits. With the K3 they introduced a modular design that you assembled but no soldering was involved. Basically screw a bunch of parts together and you've got a radio. The KX3 followed and it is similar in that you basically do some minor assembly but kit-building purists might scoff at the notion that Elecraft is still calling their new offerings "kits" especially compared to the older radios. The newest Elecraft radio, the KX2 does not even have a modular kit option. It only comes factory assembled. You can order upgrades later but the thing is so small inside that Elecraft recommends you have them do the install. I bought a KX2 recently with the internal ATU from the factory. I love it. I wish I had never sold my 40/20 K1. I will be ordering a K2 in the near future.
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 06:57:31 AM »

I had a K2 for a while, now have a KX3 - in terms of a finished radio, there's no comparison.

But I understand that the kit experience is a lot of it for many, maybe even more than the finished product - but the product lifespan for something like a K2/K1 is incredible, and a major reason why I didn't have a problem spending that much with Elecraft when I was HF rig shopping.
KF0QS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 12:27:38 PM »

I built a four-band K1 over 10 years ago (#1022) and still have it.  It is a fabulous QRP rig.  The receiver is incredible for such a small radio.

About six years ago, I built the K2 (#6922).  I still have it and enjoy using it and the K1.  They are both great radios.  Building the K2 is one of the best things I've done in my ham radio career.

For the people who have built neither, I strongly recommend purchasing a K2 as a kit.  I got the basic model, built it and used it for quite some time, and then started adding options.  Mine now has the noise blanker module, the SSB module, the audio filter module and the ATU module.  The latter was probably the hardest to build but, with patience, even a clutz like me can do it.

For the record, I now have the full K-line (K3s, P3, KPA 500 and the KAT 500).  Although the fact that I built them as well will help me if I need to get inside them for some reason, the building experience wasn't near as much fun as building the K2 and the K1.

I am sorry to see that the K1 has been discontinued, and I hope they dream up some new through the hole kits.  I would like some more of that fun!
N1GMV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 08:43:47 AM »

I miss soldering so much I bought a couple of these on Ebay.
https://www.banggood.com/Christmas-Tree-LED-Flash-Kit-3D-DIY-Electronic-Learning-Kit-p-1007523.html?cur_warehouse=USA
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: