Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UPS uses USPS for deliveries  (Read 4711 times)
N4GKS

Ignore
« on: November 12, 2013, 06:50:43 AM »

I made an order from HRO on Saturday and they sent the item out Monday. The tracking number states that the order made it to my hub in Huntsville this morning and I have a friend who always holds the package there and I pick it up after work. However, this time he tells me he can't hold it because UPS has contracted the USPS to handle some packages and mine was one of them. Now here is the good part. UPS does not deliver the packages to the local USPS until afternoon and even though the tracking number says "out for delivery" it won't be until tomorrow according to the lady at the local USPS, because their drivers are already on their routes by the time UPS delivers the packages. She said this causes a problem with customers because the tracking number says out for delivery and they are in fact not. I think this stinks. Anyone else see this?
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 07:25:51 AM »

I think this stinks. Anyone else see this?

Yep and I think it stinks also. I recently ordered a Icom 7100 from Gigaparts. The tracking number said delivery on Wednesday thru USPS. However UPS decided to deliver on Tuesday thru UPS. I believe this has to do with "Free Delivery". Amazon was doing the same thing with Free Delivery, sometimes taking up to 10 days for delivery. A couple of years ago I got tired of waiting for everything with "free delivery." Instead I got Amazon Prime which has many perks including 2 Day delivery guaranteed. Only problem is it ain't free.

When something is "Free" there is always fine print and you get what you pay for.

Free Delivery= usually means poor service and a wait.

Stan K9IUQ
N4GKS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 07:38:41 AM »

I called the post office and told them I would be by after work to pick up the gear since it would be just sitting there anyway until tomorrow. I would have bought locally from Gigaparts, but $90.00 in taxes saved through HRO got me an extended warranty.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 07:46:56 AM »

HRO got me an extended warranty.

I got a 3 year warranty for my 7100. It was a special along with a 30 day money back guarantee. For $1 extra.....

Stan K9IUQ
N4GKS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 07:49:57 AM »

A dollar? I wish they had had that when I bought this 480.  Angry
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 07:55:44 AM »

A dollar? I wish they had had that when I bought this 480.  Angry

Yes. I bought the Icom 7100 a couple of weeks ago. There was a special price of $1539 and the extras, I had been sitting on the fence about this radio for a while. This offer made me fall of the fence..  Wink

2) *** 3-year Extended Warranty for only $1! ***
Offer ends November 15, 2013

3) *** IC-7100 Money Back Guarantee: ***
If you’re not completely satisfied with the performance and ease of use of the Icom IC-7100, return it within 30 days for a full refund of the purchase price of the radio. Offer ends November 15, 2013!

Stan K9IUQ
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 08:15:55 AM »

>> ... Ordered Saturday. Shipped Monday. Will be delivered Tuesday.

Is that an accurate summary of this "problem?" You ordered on a weekend. And although Monday was a federal holiday, there was movement on the package. And you are to receive it today.

And you are complaining? Essentially ONE BUSINESS DAY SHIPPING, and you are complaining?

Paying for overnight service could not get it to you more quickly.

Tell me I am misinterpreting your original complaint. Tell me what I mis-read. "Ordered on a weekend ... shipped the next biz day, as expected ... and to be delivered the next day ... " Tell me that that is not excellent service by HRO and the carriers.

Clint Bradford K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
N4GKS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 08:20:46 AM »

>> ... Ordered Saturday. Shipped Monday. Will be delivered Tuesday.

Is that an accurate summary of this "problem?" You ordered on a weekend. And although Monday was a federal holiday, there was movement on the package. And you are to receive it today.

And you are complaining? Essentially ONE BUSINESS DAY SHIPPING, and you are complaining?

Paying for overnight service could not get it to you more quickly.

Tell me I am misinterpreting your original complaint. Tell me what I mis-read. "Ordered on a weekend ... shipped the next biz day, as expected ... and to be delivered the next day ... " Tell me that that is not excellent service by HRO and the carriers.

Clint Bradford K6LCS

You need to read the whole post and not part of it. I made it clear enough or so I thought.
N4GKS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 08:22:59 AM »

A dollar? I wish they had had that when I bought this 480.  Angry

Yes. I bought the Icom 7100 a couple of weeks ago. There was a special price of $1539 and the extras, I had been sitting on the fence about this radio for a while. This offer made me fall of the fence..  Wink

2) *** 3-year Extended Warranty for only $1! ***
Offer ends November 15, 2013

3) *** IC-7100 Money Back Guarantee: ***
If you’re not completely satisfied with the performance and ease of use of the Icom IC-7100, return it within 30 days for a full refund of the purchase price of the radio. Offer ends November 15, 2013!

Stan K9IUQ

That's a great deal. But, the "3 year extended" warranty is actually 1 year factory warranty and 2 year extended. The way they put it is a little deceiving.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 11:55:47 AM »

Yes, saying that it's "out for delivery" when it's still in transit does stink, but it's part of getting something for nearly nothing.  Honestly, some people would complain if the company paid entirely for the shipping and they got the item a day early.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 12:11:49 PM »

This has been going for months, and is especially noticeable if you order something that has "free shipping" (like on eBay).

It seems that UPS has contracted with USPS to keep the costs down.  Can't say I blame them.

Overall, it's not a bad deal, but if you aren't expecting it, the extra wait can seem, well, deceitful.  And, once it goes USPS the package's status kind of goes dark.  So even though you may have tracked it for a day or two with UPS, it disappears for the last leg of its journey.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 12:49:15 PM »

You need to read the whole post and not part of it. I made it clear enough or so I thought.

You did. You have an arrangement with a friend who is lucky enough to live near the depot so can collect. UPS have a very good deal with USPS that allows them to give a quicker service.

Your problem is you have a problem with a service that benefits thousands of people because they've implemented something which would actually result in you getting your radio quicker than if your friend collected from the depot and you collected from him that night just because it means your friend can't collect it from the depot.

KK6HJQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 02:40:59 PM »

I made an order from HRO on Saturday and they sent the item out Monday. The tracking number states that the order made it to my hub in Huntsville this morning and I have a friend who always holds the package there and I pick it up after work. However, this time he tells me he can't hold it because UPS has contracted the USPS to handle some packages and mine was one of them. Now here is the good part. UPS does not deliver the packages to the local USPS until afternoon and even though the tracking number says "out for delivery" it won't be until tomorrow according to the lady at the local USPS, because their drivers are already on their routes by the time UPS delivers the packages. She said this causes a problem with customers because the tracking number says out for delivery and they are in fact not. I think this stinks. Anyone else see this?

I see this often. In some cases even with the same company, it's inconsistent: UPS to USPS, or UPS straight to my door. I really don't know (or believe) what it will be until it gets to me or doesn't, basically. Aside from the inner-child that "wants his toy now", the concept really doesn't bother me, especially if the USPS can make a little cash. It's the questionable competency of a few at my local USPS that bothers me the most about getting anything from USPS (from much experience, unfortunately).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:43:19 PM by KK6HJQ » Logged
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 03:01:52 PM »

How much was shipping cost in say 1955 - converted to today's $? How long did it take?

For that matter, how much did a rig (that didn't do ANYWHERE near as much as today's rig) cost in 1955 $ converted to today?
N4GKS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 03:32:27 PM »

Turns out that UPS had another delivery in my area so they bypassed USPS and came by the house while I was at work and the wife was out. Anyway, got in touch with my bud at UPS who made contact with the driver who met my wife with the radio. I'm now enjoying my new TS480. I wasn't mad or anything, just annoyed at having to wait until tomorrow to get on the air. My other radio is in the shop with Clif and I was going nuts without one so I ordered another and will now have a backup. All worked out.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: