Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I looking for trouble?  (Read 6293 times)
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 05:10:19 PM »

Gee, how stupid of me to try to answer another Ham's question and mention what I use.

It can be because you say some pretty silly stuff. You are more ego than fact driven in your posts.

John, We (surprise) agree. W9FIB is W8JX with training wheels....

Stan K9IUQ

LOL!

Also kind of funny that you didn't answer the question.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 05:14:15 PM by W9FIB » Logged
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 05:18:54 PM »

Weren't we trying to help out Don, WA1OEJ?

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 06:19:46 PM »

Weren't we trying to help out Don, WA1OEJ?

I was.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 08:38:04 AM »

OEJ....

The plasma TV caught my eye in your original posting.  That itself could be real trouble.  Since you're returning after a long hiatus (welcome back!), I think I'd have to echo the concerns about when you turn on that old gear once again.    Definitely get smart on bringing up vintage gear....variac usage, etc.

Since you've listed some old Heathkit gear, I'm guessing you intend to use them?   OK, unsolicited opinion time..... if you're going to the trouble of cutting down trees adjacent to your tower, installing a new antenna, running long feedlines, etc, and given your interference chamber (AKA Mancave...just kidding), you might consider also getting a modern radio.  Not sure what a price point might be for you, but the Kenwood TS-590SG is showing some very, very nice lab numbers, especially given its price.  (Full disclosure....I don't own one, just researching the next HF rig possibility and found those figures online).

In grounding, there is some very good guidance from League publications.  Just make sure you ground like mad, both electrically AND in RF impedance, and then start a process of elimination in finding your noise producers.  Again, that plasma TV made me squirm, but who knows...you might get lucky.

Cheers,

Brad, K9MHZ

WA1OEJ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 02:09:20 PM »

Thank you all for your input. I will be ussing all modern gear except for the SB-2220. I will upgrade it according to some great info on this site.
I hope to be back on the air by mid March, after temps moderate here in suburban Boston-Sudbury. I am also getting help from members of the Framingham Amateur Radio Assn, formed in 1933!
The biggest issue is cutting down enough trees to rotate an antenna. I have settled on a Hexbeam, due to its small turning radius. I don't want to remove several over 100 foot pines, and to go above them, my guy wires will  be off my property if my tower goes to 120 feet to clear the pines!
Thank you all.
I see that the error in posting has been fixed by the webmaster.

Don
WA1OEJ
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: