Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the main differences between the FTDX1200 and FTDX3000?.  (Read 792 times)
ZS5WC

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2015, 03:28:07 AM »

???I see both look and work similar, both are a 100w @ 12 supply, both have roofing filters, both get good reviews.
I have yet to find a bulletin point list on the net that describes the differences.
So what are the differences between the FTDX1200 and 3000?.
Screen size?.
I have yet to operate either, never mind both side by side. Wink

73 de William
ZS4L / ZS5WC
N2AXX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 06:36:50 PM »

HI William:

Receiver design is the main difference...and drives part of the 1,000 to 1,300 USD$ price difference. 
Screen size is the same.

The FT-3000 receiver design closely resembles the design of the FT-9000 and FT-5000.

The FT-1200 receiver is an entirely different design.

Like the 5000 and 9000; the FT-3000 uses a 9 MHz 1st IF and 9 MHz center frequency roofing filters.  The FT-1200 has a 40.455 MHz 1st IF and center frequency.
The lower the 1st IF frequency, 9 MHz. in this case, enables a better filter design and a tighter pass band of that filter.

The 9 MHz IF will be better at rejecting images....and the overall desired versus undesired signals in the front end of the receiver (first stage right after the antenna).

The roofing filter "sits" at the output of the 1st IF stage's mixer. All signals passing through the roofing filter (desired vs. undesired) will effect the subsequent 2nd and 3rd IF stages, the DSP, and ultimately the quality of what is in the audio passband ( 300-3,000 classic radio communication frequencies).

The long and short of the two radios are the design and performance of the amplifier, oscillator, mixer, and roofing filters.  Together as a system these components will effect your dynamic range, minimum discernible signal, compression, linearity, and the ability to manage strong and weak, desired and undesired signals, all side by side on adjacent frequencies.

Sherwood Engineering has an interesting specs / perf' table and PowerPoint on receivers.  Take a look:   http://www.sherweng.com/index.html

There is the lab bench vs the "hands on" experience in your shack; i.e. operating habits, proximity to strong signals, and the budget for additional amateur "kit".

See if you can find a dealer in the RSA or your travels, that will enable some time in front of today's rigs.  ENJOY and HAVE FUN !

'73  Tom N2AXX
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 08:52:17 PM »

:)Tom thanks for your elaborate and very well qualified reply!.
It is now a 100% clear and well understood.
I am looking forward to playing with the new FTDX-3000, it gets very good reviews, and there might be a future for it in my shack down the line.
I recently repaired an old FT-100d for myself-(got it for free!) and that RX really impresses me!.
(I also restored an old FT-ONE)

Dealers here in SA-there is never anything on the shelves-and you have to ASK to bring something in and purchase it without prior opportunity to operate a new rig.
I don't think I have heard a single FTDX-3000 in SA on the air yet, -the Exchange rate is very bad for us-and our new goverment-well, no comment.

What I do like about the newer crop of Yaesu rigs, is the VERY q u i e t RX, a sign of good quality components, good design , good gain distribution-(If the sensitivity is very good.)
I HATE a hissy RX!.

Yep, it is all about having fun-BTW I really love the technical side of the hobby, restoring rigs..

Thanks and all the best for 2015!.
De William
ZS4L / ZS5WC
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 11:18:19 PM »

The local oscillator on the 1200 is different than the 3000 and is quieter. As such, the dsp filters have a much better sound also. Selectivity and sensitivity seem equal. This is not based on lab tests, but by having both side by side for a period of time. Sold the 3000 and kept the 1200. I am a CW op.

Don KF7DS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: