Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Station Building - Open for Best Practices / Ideas / sugestions  (Read 2132 times)
NJ3U

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2013, 06:27:07 AM »

I'm embarking on a remodel of the shack - ala spare bedroom that has been used for the last 14 years as a guest room and my home office.  Todate I have shared the work desk with the radios.  With the girls moving into their working years space is opening up in the house for me to remove the guest bed from my office and create a new operating area.

The overall plan is to utilize the back wall which is an outside wall to build the main desk and overhead shelving space.  To this point I have a 36 deep by 80 long interior door from HabitatRestore for 8 $ and my two filing cabinets for support / storage.

So the ask of the group is to provide with lessons learned / material ideas / structure suggestions that you have come across in your life experiences.  I'm specifically intersted in hearing about surfaces for the ops desk - Who used glass and how did it work ? Sources of material ?  Lighting considerations / overhead support structures ?

Photos - sketches - web links - text or what have you is appreciated and welcome.
I hope to document it in the same way I did my antenna tower / rotator / beam project to pay it forward. http://tinyurl.com/nj3u-Rory
73 NJ3U
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 12:47:39 PM »

While you are waiting for specific answers and info to your questions and if haven't done so already I can only suggest that you write down all the things that you didn't have or thought could have been better laid out at your old operating position. You now have the new space available and start of a nice desk top with this as a start peruse and open up the hundreds of Spotlight and Shack Show Case pictures on the top/bottom of the eHam home page for ideas in the areas of shelving, AC outlets/strips, lighting, feed line routing ect. that appeal to you.
N4KD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 08:26:03 AM »

So the ask of the group is to provide with lessons learned / material ideas / structure suggestions that you have come across in your life experiences.  I'm specifically intersted in hearing about surfaces for the ops desk - Who used glass and how did it work ? Sources of material ?  Lighting considerations / overhead support structures ?
[/quote]
I used a piece of plexiglass over the desk. I can stuff things like my SKCC number, net schedules, or whatever else I want to see right away. Think about routing cables through wireways, like this - http://industrialautomation.walterswholesale.com/wireway they come in various widths and make cable routing easy and fairly neat.

vy 73,
Dave N4KD
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 09:56:07 AM »

A  few more specific considerations: Scratch proof Lexan  in lieu of glass desk top, easier to lift up from front to slide notes under, especially if your shelf weight is on the back. Two clamp on shelf goose neck adjustable lights and maybe an adjustable arm circular combo light/magnifying glass if you use your desk for a work bench. Easy to reach AC outlet strip with the on/off switch and overload protector for rig and accessories. Enough clear desk top space to comfortably rest your arm/wrist if a CW operator.
NJ3U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 06:28:26 AM »

Dave, Jim,

Thanks for the input - I already have the room dimensions sketched on a sheet and have looked over the shack gallery shots.  I thought of Plastics as table surfaces as they are available at local home centers or even from cast off screen doors !  The plan for the glass / plastic was to only go as far back as to the radios.  That way the weight of the rigs isn't an issue when wanting to move / lift to change the documents underneath.

As to power strips and cable trays - Good point - these are all part of having a neat station which I could use more of these days !

73 NJ3U Rory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: