Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendations for LCD TV/Monitor > 32"  (Read 2832 times)
K3VAT

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2013, 10:09:55 AM »

I'm looking for a large (32" to ~36") LCD TV/Monitor to use for the digital modes.  I understand that many TVs this size are also suitable as high-res monitors.

Would appreciate any recommendations especially if you are using something similar.

73, Rich, K3VAT
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 09:45:23 AM »

I would try it out before you buy. HD monitors are much better than the old analog TVs, but 1280X1024 (1920X1080 is with overscan) blown up to 36" in your face won't look as good as you expect. I recently splurged on a factory refurbished 27" thunderbolt display (2560X1440) for my Macbook Pro, coming from a Samsung 27" display that was 1280X1024. I was never very happy with the picture on the Samsung, and after switching to the Apple display I know why. Also need to watch if you use and HDMI cable to connect, some monitors will overscan and cut off the edges of the screen.

I admit I'm becoming an Apple fanboy, but there's a reason people really like their products.

However, there are plenty of IPS monitors out there for a similar price when compared to an HDTV, with higher resolution and made for desktops. The thing that's nice about big monitors is that you can have multiple programs and windows all over without needing a lot of overlap. So you can have, for example, rig control, digital software, logging, and DX spotting all running on one or two displays and easy to switch between.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 08:31:38 PM »

I use two Dell 20" flat panels.  My laptop will support an additional flat screen, or DVI /HDMI to a big screen.  I am spoiled on having all three screens going at once.  I recently bought a USB video "card" so I could leave all three permanently connected.  I got the cheapest one I could find from TigerDirect.  It was around $50.

Mike
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 12:38:06 PM »

Back in July or August I splurged on a HP 23" IPS / LED wide screen computer monitor and it's a dandy. 1920 x 1080 and as clear as an unmuddied mountain stream on a blue sky morning in January...

Loved it so much that I splurged on a Toshiba 23" TV two paychecks later. Also a very pleasing purchase and a shopping lesson: Has the same spec of 1920 x 1080 on the VGA / HDMI interface but also supports USB / NTSC and Y-Component video in HD and regular flavor. It's like a Swiss Army knife for video. Sells for $180.00 at the B - Buy store. I call it B - Buy 'cuz my money goes buh-bye every time I swing by. There's a fair chance I might spring for a 39" or 42" TV this weekend as I'm seeing some very righteous pricing on the mid size and larger LED TV's in time for Black Friday. If I upgraded the main TV that would mean the Swiss Army knife could come back to the radio room where it would become a computer monitor / TV / test bench video display. Wouldn't take much to talk myself into doing that, and assuming the video quality is comparable would be a far more versatile choice.

BTW: The only thing the Toshiba did to me was the choice of default format on the Yellow RCA jack for composite video. It will take regular NTSC if you go into setup and switch it from 'Colorstream'. My old VHS tapes look incredibly craptastic compared to native HD but that is one way of stretching the value of my X-Files library on VHS.  The video is still out there.   Wink

Never change a password on a Friday                
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: