Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reviews that aren't reviews  (Read 12382 times)
VE3LNY

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2013, 06:32:35 PM »

Why are reviews like this one http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8521#123136 being posted in the reviews section? Shouldn't it be in the forums? The reviewer doesn't own the item reviewed and as far as we can tell has never even used one.
NA4M

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 08:44:20 PM »

Thanks for bringing this to eHam's attention.

The subject review has been removed. 

After new reviews are submitted they are quickly scanned over during screening before being posted for viewing in the reviews.  During screening 100% of all new review's text cannot be read so some will slip thru such as this one.

73 Phil NA4M
eHam Product Reviews Manager
N7KFD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 04:16:53 PM »

Why are reviews like this one http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8521#123136 being posted in the reviews section? Shouldn't it be in the forums? The reviewer doesn't own the item reviewed and as far as we can tell has never even used one.

This is something that has bothered me for a long time. I've read reviews that say little more than "This radio sucks". I've read others where it was stated that they played with the rig in a store for 15 minutes, (in my opinion) that does not qualify anyone to write a review. I believe some people give some radios poor reviews simply because they don't like the manufacturer for some reason. These reviews are obvious and really should be removed (again just my opinion).
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 08:26:13 AM »

Would there be any value to establishing some baseline rules for reviews?

1. You have owned or used the product for at least three months.
2. You do not represent the manufacturer or distributor.
3. You are receiving absolutely no credit, discount or compensation for writing the review.
4. You are allowed to write only one review on the product that counts to the **** rating. Any subsequent entries by you will be comments only and not count to the evaluation of the product unless you delete your earlier rating.

I have seen things really skewed by people who have never lived with the product or they go back and write a review again in a few months. It diminishes the relevance of the review process and that is one thing that eHam has over QRZ, the reviews on the products are usually pretty informative and not slanted in favor of any particular product or provider.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »

Re: AA4HA

Your baseline review would upgrade the value of the current system, the only problem I fore see is the forum's administrator trying to verify your #1,2,3 points. As it stands now I can get pretty good idea of a reviewed item's pros/cons by reading All the reviews submitted, they tend to stand out after awhile.
NA4M

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 02:30:12 PM »

...the only problem I fore see is the forum's administrator trying to verify your #1,2,3 points.

What he said...

And the current site software has no way to deal with #4.   Currently every review requires a rating when entered by a review writer.

Phil NA4M
eHam Product Reviews Manager
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 03:09:08 AM »

Reviews are subjective in nature. Even Consumer Reports (which is supposed to be objective and truthful) has lost my respect.
Specifications don't even have to be fact and can vary between sources. Sometimes I just flip to the 'Pros and Cons' section for something that I am considering in order to get a 'feeling' for the product.
 Product threads with comments by others are helpful. Not everyone is looking for the same thing in a product or care about 'picky' quality issues (although the are nice to know and can set the tone of the product report as well as my own opinion).
 I usually try to read a few different reviews from different sources. Google or Bing helps here.
I was thinking about ordering a CCrane GoZo radio for the wife for Xmas yesterday, she might love it but I might be disappointed in it after reading about it.
Nothing is written in stone. Same with movie and car/truck reviews.
Sometimes the deciding question is 'Would you buy another?'

AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 08:07:26 AM »

...the only problem I fore see is the forum's administrator trying to verify your #1,2,3 points.
What he said...
And the current site software has no way to deal with #4.   Currently every review requires a rating when entered by a review writer.

NA4M, W1JKA,
You are both correct. If someone has an axe to grind or is just a mean spirited b^#$^&d they are going to find a way to pee into the swimming pool. I do read the reviews when looking at new products and tend to get a little discouraged by reading the "informed" opinions of people who have only spun the dials for a few minutes at a hamfest. There also seems to be this "rush to publish", to be the first to review something as if to set the tone and temper of how a product is evaluated. We are not going to change society and amateur radio is just a microcosm of the world around us.

Tisha

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: