Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Base station speakers?  (Read 32213 times)
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 04:34:14 PM »

Another +1 for the Optimus Pro-X33AV, although mine is known as the Optimus 7AV and way back when they were the Minimus 7.

Not a great speaker for music, but great for station audio.
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 05:20:57 AM »

I use a pair of Creative Labs amplified speakers with a sub mounted under the desk. When I dial in the low end audio using HDSDR on the FT990 it sounds simply amazing. I can also adjust for 3D or spatial effects which really brightens up the audio.

Good luck in your search,

VE3TMT
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 09:01:05 AM »

I use center channel speakers from TV surround systems. They are tailored for the human voice audio of movies. They are fairly compact. Bought both from prowling around at thrift stores. Seems that folks in those stores aren't aware what they are as they are a single speaker and sell them cheap.

Russ
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 09:17:15 PM »

Does anyone like the West Mountain Radio speaker with dsp?
WA7SGS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 10:06:29 PM »

Over here it's an Optimus STX-24 that makes all the HF radio noises for me...LOL!  It sounds decent enough, fits on top of the LDG AT-100ProII antenna tuner perfectly and being black, it blends in nicely with the rest of my station's gear.

For my Kenwood TM-281 2m set up as a base, I picked up Kenwood's SP-50B external speaker and attached it to the mobile mounting bracket on top of the radio.  Good sound and good looks!

Rick
KD2E

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2013, 02:10:52 PM »

I have several old metal box Lafayette communications speakers. I like them the most.
As many have posted here...all the Polk, and Optimus hi-fi speakers have MUCH greater range, and
fidelity. Exactly what you DON'T want.
Everyone is a super operator because they use headphones.
I do a lot of listening...and random tuning to get an idea as to what is hapnin' on the band.
In that case, I don't want cans on my noggin. Just wanna hear. The phones are for digging out weak ones....that's it!
So... to answer your question....a simple speaker is your best option....don't go nuts, you're not listening to hi-fi!!
K9SRV

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 07:41:12 AM »

I do believe the mirror idea will extend the lifespan of many a Ham!
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 07:32:39 PM »

I just ordered a Yaesu FTDX-1200 and need to get some kind of external speaker.  Not really sure what to get.  I have one of the Sweet Sound speakers that I do not use because I never was impressed with it's audio and it's just too big.

I looked at the reviews on eham and really didn't see any clear winner of current speakers.

So what is your favorite speaker for fixed station use?

Thanks for any info.

Harold
W5ZZT

I use Yamaha HS-50M professional studio monitor speakers.  You can hear a lot more with them.
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 04:19:27 PM »

How are you connecting your speakers to your rig? Using a splitter to come straight out the back of the rig? Going through an amp or AV receiver? Something else?
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 10:56:45 AM »

How are you connecting your speakers to your rig? Using a splitter to come straight out the back of the rig? Going through an amp or AV receiver? Something else?

The line out from the transceiver feeds a mixing board.  The speakers are self-powered and accept a balanced connection so therefore are pretty resistant to RF and such.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 10:22:34 AM »

So some people are using really expensive speakers designed to work between  20Hz to 18Khz with nice sounding highs and Lows and then they are feeding in an audio signal that goes between about 300hz - 3Khz ??  Shocked Shocked    Have you ever wondered what that Tweeter is doing?
Hint..... Hissssssss
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 02:00:58 PM »

I don't think any of the previously mentioned speakers are that expensive, considering you get a pair for the price.  I bought pair of my Polk bookshelf speakers for $50 when they were on sale at the local electronics store.  I don't think you can find quality communication speakers for $25/each.

I don't notice any excessive noise from my tweeters, and I notice significantly improved excursion (no "bottoming out") compared to the stock speaker.

Also, the crossover point is usually not listed on the speaker specs, but I think most two-way audio speakers have crossover below 3kHz, meaning the tweeter (mid-high, actually) reproduces some of the voice component.  There are exceptions, but I think audio speakers can be a relatively inexpensive alternative to communication specific speakers.

N8YQX
KW4M

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 04:13:29 PM »

Used communication speakers can be obtained with minimal cash outlay from hamfests and ebay.  I recently purchased a used Motorola speaker for only $5, see here.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 05:36:57 PM »

So some people are using really expensive speakers designed to work between  20Hz to 18Khz with nice sounding highs and Lows and then they are feeding in an audio signal that goes between about 300hz - 3Khz ??  Shocked Shocked    Have you ever wondered what that Tweeter is doing?
Hint..... Hissssssss

Actually it's the only solution I have found that gives me anything approaching linearity between 20 Hz and 9 KHz (the usual range of SWBC).  Communications speakers suck in that respect, they are meant to be put in a noisy environment and blare very loudly.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2014, 06:53:53 PM »

The Bose 141 full range is good for general narrow to wide band SSB and AM, with a single 4.5" driver, no hissy tweeter or boomy woofer. Shielded, too.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: