Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Base station speakers?  (Read 36576 times)
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2014, 02:12:51 PM »

FTds-1200 manual says "2.5 Watts into 4 ohms with 10% THD"
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2014, 02:24:24 PM »

Looked at some ICOMs and Kenwoods, seems 10% THD is normal and output around 2-2.5 watts
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2014, 02:49:48 PM »

I'm using one "multimedia" computer speaker (Altec Lancing) that was a pair, and it uses the mono 1/8 inch audio plug, which plugs right into the speaker jack on my TS440SAT.  It's not really hifi, you don't really want that else you end up hearing a lot of high audio freq hiss.  Adequate for voice.  
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2014, 07:02:47 PM »

Here's 1. WOW now they stopped audio specs!

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0355spec.html

Less than 10% THD?  This could mean anything.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2014, 07:17:13 PM »

Yeah, now something else to measure.
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2014, 06:29:44 PM »

So what is your favorite speaker for fixed station use?

I've got a pair of Polk Monitor 40 Series 2 plugged into a Y and then into the external speaker jack on the back of my Icom 7700. Sounds great, but that's partly because the 7700 has great audio to begin with.
KG7FIU

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2014, 09:40:10 AM »

As many have posted here...all the Polk, and Optimus hi-fi speakers have MUCH greater range, and
fidelity. Exactly what you DON'T want.

Hmm, I might take a different angle on this.  Coming from the pro-audio world, I use full range speakers, and wouldn't hesitate to
use nearfields either.   I have some hi-frequency hearing loss [possibly due to listening at high volumes or perhaps
just from old age] so I find it necessary to boost the hi-end significantly for intelligibility.   Some other hams may in fact be in this category also.  

Plus one's listening area probably isn't ideal.  Depending upon how far one sits away from the speakers, there may be substantial room nulls at certain low-mid freqs, making for uneven balance.  In the audio world they sell things like bass traps, etc., that one can install throughout the room to compensate for this stuff.   Almost certainly overkill for ham radio though...

So even though most ham radio audio content won't go beyond 3KHz or so, it's fun to use full-range speakers, and have a little graphic or parametric EQ to let you experiment -- and season to your particular taste.   It's always easy to throw a hi-shelf on the audio, if you decide you are getting too much hi-freq hiss.    Remember, one size does NOT fit all!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:43:07 AM by KG7FIU » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: