Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does powder coating of radio chassis decrease value?  (Read 4382 times)
WE8E

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2013, 06:30:17 PM »

I have an icom 745 with a minor scratch on one of the sides.  Was thinking of having the chassis of the rig and the matching power supply powder coated the "icom green" color.  I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this.   Would it increase/decrease the value or the resell-ability?   
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 09:44:29 PM »

I think if it`s a minor scratch,you`d probably be better to leave it alone. A small scratch might deter a radio collecter,but not the average ham.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:55:37 PM »

More important for selling is if you have modified or repaired the radio. A minor scratch will not be a big price reduction for selling. The cost of powder coating will be far higher than a gain reached by it.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 06:12:09 AM »

In my cases, I usually powder coat the exact matched color and gloss. I rebuild piles of Yaesu FL-7000 amplifiers. To bring them back to "as close to original" as I can , I use powder coating on the covers and side rails. They look awesome and it is really hard to scratch the new coat as well. I use a company in Orlando and they charge me $100 per set of covers and rails. It really makes a radio look clean and new.

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 09:30:56 AM »

Technical point:  The Chassis is the frame upon which all the components are mounted.  It is not usually visible to the user.  It often serves the vital purpose of being common ground.   Coating it with any paint or cosmetic coating would interefere with this function.

I think you are referring to the Case.  The case covers all the components and chassis, serving as both a protective shield from electrical components, dust cover and cosmetic enhancement.  Smiley

p.s.  Modern radios will typically have a chassis made of stamped steel or stamped, cast aluminum or cast zinc.   Boat anchors may have a chassis made of steel, aluminum and protected by an anti corrosion layer such as cadmium, zinc or tin.  It is important when cleaning or refurbishing not to damage or remove this protective coating.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 09:37:25 AM by KB4QAA » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 09:38:39 AM »

It wouldn't hurt anything to powder coat the outside of the case (with the radio removed). I've even used spray paint although that's not as durable as powder coat. Make sure you don't paint over any labels on the case and make sure that you tape off any inside edges that may make a grounding connection to the actual chassis.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 02:19:24 PM »

I have an icom 745 with a minor scratch on one of the sides.  Was thinking of having the chassis of the rig and the matching power supply powder coated the "icom green" color.  I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this.   Would it increase/decrease the value or the resell-ability?   

The money it would cost you, you would not likely recoup. As others mentions, it also would no longer original.

I have hidden scratched by spraying spray paint into a container (because it is thin), then using a toothpick and dipping it. Then put very tiny dots along the scratch with the dipped toothpick. That is, if you can match the color well.
WE8E

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 05:25:46 PM »

Thanks for the clarification.... it is indeed the case Wink

I think you are referring to the Case.  The case covers all the components and chassis, serving as both a protective shield from electrical components, dust cover and cosmetic enhancement.  Smiley
WE8E

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 05:27:07 PM »

cost is surely an issue also... if it is going to cost 100 for a new powder coat, it is probably not worth it as you guys have pointed out. 
Thanks for all the replies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: