Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever wonder.....  (Read 2117 times)
W7ARX

Ignore
« on: November 12, 2013, 06:05:47 PM »

Ever wonder why some folks will contact you about something you want to trade or sell, offer to send you photos, etc. of their stuff, you respond and then poof....you never hear or see from them again....why bother I wonder....

Are they:

A.  Window shoppers
B.  Tire Kickers
C.  Losers that just waste other people's time
d.  Don't really have anything to start with in the offering, (i.e. equipment, money, etc.)

I often wonder, why do they bother others with useless and pointless contact and then, NADA?  I don't care if they do business with me one way or the other...I just don't get these characters...

I have offered something to some posting for sale, trade, swap, etc. and if respond not interested, okay, at least I contacted them.  I send a "thanks, appreciate your response" and offer a good luck, good day, 73's, whatever.

KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 07:43:30 AM »

I agree, I always try to acknowledge the response, send additional pictures, info, etc., but I think pointless inquiries are just part of selling on-line.  I don't get too bothered with it, it's still the easiest way to buy, sell or trade stuff.  Remember the old days of print adds?  Yuk, glad they are gone.  Cheers.
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 09:48:10 PM »

They are called Lookie-Loos. I think they honestly are interested the moment they call or contact you (or a salesman) but once they hang up, they are afraid to follow through, because they wake up to the fact that...and here every one has their specific reason, some of which are, cannot afford it, am not allowed to buy such things, don't really need it, are not sure if there isn't something better out there, and on it goes.

The only way to get a sale out of them is to nail them that moment when you have them. But then, of course you don't know for sure what kind of buyer you have at the moment. Because another type is one who needs time to assure himself of the right decision, and he would be turned off by pressure.

So, as long as you have something to sell, you will have to live with it.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 02:54:59 PM »

So true...I had two guys want to swap an item, I uncable, get it ready and then never hear back....really a pain, re-cable everything back up, and repeat the process likely in a week....oh well....I never do that to someone...if I am looking for that model, and the price is right I will usually buy it, unless some gawd awful happens unforeseen that precludes me...

Ah, the enjoyment of swap boards...
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 07:52:37 AM »

I recently pulled my two postings.  One ass acted like I was being a jerk because I told him after a week that I was moving on.  Never once indicated he wanted to purchase the item.  Another cliff hanger told me he was sending pics, never saw them, never heard back and he indicated he wanted the item.  So, I am taking my stuff to ebay.  Not worth the inconvenience, BS, hassle, etc.  At least there I know if someone bids on the item, they likely want it.  Cheers.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 03:18:38 PM »

They could be looky-loos or folks with just too much time on their hands...but there's also a sinister intention behind some of these.

I've run into those (sinister intentioned ones) several times.  They'll sell you anything until you start asking questions about it and then they disappear because they really don't have the equipment to sell and would prefer you just send them money.  One way I try to weed those out is by asking, "send me a photo of the equipment with today's newspaper in the photo," or something like that.  Easy enough to do for almost anyone who actually has the gear, and impossible for someone who doesn't.

Poof!

Similar things for "offers" from "buyers."  If I run an ad and someone responds with "Please provide complete description and best price," I know they're just phishing ads and have no idea what they've inquired about, since all that information was in the original ad.

Poof!

And of course the old, "Send the payment to my sister (or brother, mother, father, cousin, jailmate or anyone)" is getting pretty old and a nearly certain indication it's a scam.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: