Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Locking the Mic in a Drawer  (Read 6330 times)
WE2F

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2013, 03:39:24 PM »

I've built a CW rig and been trying to learn the code while playing with SSB...it's not working, so I've decided to lock the mic in a drawer and give the XYL the key with strict instructions not to return it until Christmas. Maybe that will get my posterior in motion.

I've been listening around the bands looking for someone, anyone, sending at less than 12WPM and I can't seem to find them. Can you give me a little guidance? I'm sure it has to do with my scant operating schedule, but where are all the slow ops? I've got wire up for 10-80, so just about any band will do. On SSB, I focus most of my energy on 20M and 40M, so I have more options there, but I might just throw together a single-band dipole cut for whatever frequencies you fine ladies and gentlemen might point me toward.

Thanks in advance and 73. Hope to get my fist together so we can chat on-air shortly.
N0BOE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 04:22:05 PM »

Try around the SKCC calling frequencies, SKCC club members (for the most part) will slow down for you. Also 7.1 - 7.2 seems to have quite a bit of QRS. I've had several nice slow (10-12wpm) QSOs around 7.114.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 05:41:39 PM »

30 meters also has it's share of QRS operators.
WE2F

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 06:47:06 PM »

I'll definitely listen around those frequencies. I've never once listened in on 30M either, thanks for reminding me.
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 07:20:36 PM »

Call CQ at the speed you are comfortable and keep at it. It's not a matter of speed as much as a matter of exposure so that other hams can find YOU.    Wink    Like you, there are plenty of hams looking for a contact at your same speed AND many who are looking for a contact regardless of speed.

73 de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._

N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »

[…]  I've decided to lock the mic in a drawer […]

Actually, I misplaced the microphone that came with my first and only rig that I ever tried SSB with -- an FT-920.   I threw the mic in a drawer, and after ten years thought I would dig it out and try to actually sell something on eBay that I could bear to part with.  (My eBay balance of trade is way out of whack!) 

Regardless, it is a good decision to go all CW, especially if you work QRP or have a poor indoor antenna like mine.  When you get up to around 10 wpm or so, you have reached critical mass -- just keep working QSOs and having fun from then on…!   Grin

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN N4OI
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 03:44:47 AM »

I never actually locked away a mic, but I've been known not to be able to find one on those rare occasions when needed. Roll Eyes

Ray is right, the high end of 40m is a good bet.  Try to get away from any SSB or digital QRM.  There's likely plenty of guys looking for slower QSOs, but if nobody calls CQ...

I personally like 30m a lot too.  Lots of QRP activity.  Fast DX operations frequent 10.115 and lower, but above that you shouldn't have a problem finding someone just your speed.  Most CW ops have no problem slowing down to accomodate a QRS operator.
LU7YWC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 04:32:44 AM »

I've started CW calling CQ at 7wpm. When tried to answer a  for the first time someone that was calling maybe 15wpm and he started sending I blocked out. So opted to call slower and, very important, ask QRS when received fast answers. That way and day by day you'll grow your skill. What was important to me was calling all days, maybe just one QSO per day so you don't "overheat" your brain, but call every day.
Frank
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 08:42:12 AM »

I usually find several slow operators around 7030KHz.  And, ASA is correct.  If you can't snag one of these slow ops around 7030, stay around that frequency and call CQ until someone calls YOU!

The main thing is to not become discouraged and be assured that with just a few contacts, you'll find your speed increasing automatically. 

There is a mental thing that forces you to want to speed up a QSO.  It's also the very thing you need to watch carefully because many times your keying will get sloppy trying to hurry.

Al - K8AXW
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 10:12:52 AM »

I agree with W7ASA, call at your speed and any decent op will come back to you at about that speed. You may also find a few that are straining on their end and ask you to QRS! - hi
Just enjoy and the more you work, the faster the speed. Just please try to also developee a clean fist. Don't need the "banana boat " swing and words run together etc -hi
73 es bcnu
Dick KH2G
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 12:47:43 PM »

For SKCC contacts please check out the K3UK Sked Page.  There you will find plenty of SKCC members willing to have a QSO with you at any desired speed you like.  SKCC is a very active, fun and friendly group of cw ops. Please consider joining.  Membership is totally free.    http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/index.php?board=skcc  http://www.skccgroup.com/ Regards -Joe N3Hee SKCC #6594T
WE2F

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 07:04:23 PM »

Wow! What great responses. Thanks everyone. I can't wait to get going. With all the support here, I'm off to a good start.
N5GZH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 08:09:49 PM »

It's like looking for any other type of contact.  There is usually someone out there who will enjoy a QRS  chat.    It's all about the enjoyment of CW, not the speed of CW.

Good luck !

Jim
N5GZH
N3PDT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 06:57:58 PM »

Putting the mic away worked for me.

Try calling on 7.114. That is the SKCC Elmer frequency. I listen to it a lot, as do many SKCCers. I'm happy to go 5wpm, if needed.

Joe N3HEE already mentioned the SKCC sked page. It's a great tool for finding folks truly willing to go your speed.

Doug N3PDT
SKCC 6861S
KK6DCT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 08:18:17 PM »

Great thread! I got my General this year, started with phone but have been playing with digital modes most recently. I've been practicing copying CW and don't feel like I'm copying enough reliably at speed yet ... but I'm getting close  Smiley For some reason I'm not having any issue with sending around 10wpm but I'm not yet copying at the same speed. I'm continuing to practice to build up my speed and will be having a go at a QSO maybe in the next couple of weeks!

Kevin KK6DCT
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: