Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a arp rig  (Read 3819 times)
WD4ELG

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2013, 07:19:11 PM »

So apologies as I am not an experienced QRP operator/guru.  i am looking for a QRP rig. Would prefer digital mode capability if possible, definitely need CW.  My dexterity is not good as I have carpal tunnel and numbness in hands so a kit is not desired.

I don't want to deal with 12V supplies and I don't want rechargeable batteries that develop memories and die after short usage.

I have FT817ND it is OK. With filter CW is fair. But digital modes require digital interface (I use SignaLink USB).  And I need power supply or a battery lithium battery pack.

ATU not needed, although I have the Elecraft.

What about a rig that uses 4AA cells? Or that runs off the USB power from a laptop?  Guidance/suggestions appreciated.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 07:22:41 PM »

One more comment - I don't have any experience with gel cells. Are these heavy? Big? Long lasting? If this is a good 12V solution then maybe I am in good shape to start with...
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 05:42:24 AM »

Gel cells? It depends on the size.

LiFePo are lighter, but considerably more expensive.

-- Tom
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 07:52:35 AM »

ELG:  Your list of requirements borderlines on "unreasonable."

Finding a QRP rig that runs on AA cells isn't a big deal.....there are a few of them available.

Digital capability narrows down the field quite a bit.....then to operate from AA batteries takes you almost to zero.

You don't want to deal with a 12V power supply for this rig but you need one for the SignaLink!  Why not use the same 12V power supply for both?  I use one 12V power supply going through a distribution panel for several items on my desk. Your power needs won't require a "boat anchor" power supply that you might find difficult to handle with your CTS.

Using rechargeable batteries is better than buying and throwing away non-rechargeable batteries.    You will be able to use them for quite some time before they will give you trouble. 

For example, I have two sets of AA Eneloop batteries.  I use one set while the other is on charge.  I swap them out like pistol magazines! They have been in use for at least two years so far. My HT uses a rechargeable battery which has been in use for several years.

Perhaps a little more detail in what you want to do with your setup..... ?

Al - K8AXW

AF6WL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 12:49:10 PM »

I thought the Signalink USB was bus powered.
You can rig up simple resistive divider networks to shift the audio levels between rig and PC/ipad etc - signal link is just a convenience with built in keying.

The FT817, which you have,  and the KX3 are the obvious choices.

The K2 has SSB and internal gel-cell options ( you could buy used to avoid building )
The FT897 also has internal battery options and can run 20W from the battery.

All internal battery rigs need to be regularly charged or left trickle charging to prevent the NiCd/NiMH/LeadAcid cells dying overtime.

Running more than 1 or 2 W from 4xAAs is impractical - PA efficiency and current draw limitations.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 06:56:54 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  OK, I did some additional reading.

Here is my specific use case:  I want to be able to operate the rig when I travel.  7aH gel cells seem light enough to carry, so that should take care of my power issue.  So scratch the AA battery requirement.  So I will have a laptop with me.

Now let's get back to the rigs of choice.  I have the FT817ND which is like a swiss army knife.  Does a lot of things, some of them fairly well.  But it's versatile and I like the form factor.  So perhaps I will just stick with it since I have my money invested in it; just get a two-state charger and a good gel cell battery (I think I have the terminology correct?).
N3IG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 10:09:59 PM »

West Mountain Rigblaster PnP is a Bus powered interface.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 05:49:58 AM »

The signalink-usb is also powered via the computer USB buss. You don't need an external 12VDC source for it.

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 06:24:49 AM »

7aH gel cells seem light enough to carry,

A 7Ah gel weighs 5 pounds.  Consider you would need a charger for the gel cell, which is added weight and bulk.

An Astron SS-50, 40 amp supply only weighs 5 pounds.  A 12~15V supply big enough to run a QRP rig like the 817 would be smaller and lighter than the charger for the laptop and certainly lighter and more compact than a gel cell plus charger.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 08:05:39 AM »

Thanks Mark.  I was not looking at the big picture.  Since I am not looking to do trail backpacking, maybe just carry the power supply.  Problem solved.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: