Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT5ZM Funding and the Future of "South Oceans" DX-peditions  (Read 7356 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »

This is N1DG's presentation on the subject of DXpedition financing, particularly the Southern Ocean places.

All DXers should read it. If possible go see him present it in person and you'll get some eye popping background tales too  Grin Grin

http://ncdxf.org/misc/N1DG-DXpeditioncosts-Dayton2012.ppt

Slide 20 is a good summary, for VP8ORK in this case but pretty typical overall.

Did a rummage, here's a pdf of his article on the same subject:
http://www.mvdxcc.org/pdf/NCDXFFinanceDXpedition.pdf

I can assure you that the prices have gone up since then. . . . by quite a bit . . . even FT5ZM is quite a bit more expensive than the budget Don listed a few years back - by $100K.
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 04:54:44 PM »

Yes, I know. He also told of the escalating requirements to sail out of Ushuaia and similar. Still, I bet the proportions regarding donors etc hasn't changed much.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 05:30:19 PM »

Yes, I know. He also told of the escalating requirements to sail out of Ushuaia and similar. Still, I bet the proportions regarding donors etc hasn't changed much.

Yeah I agree.

TX5K did have higher donation percentages from EU though - but that was because the co-leader and quite a few guys from a DL contest club drummed up a lot of EU support.

So - its possible that EU would donate a higher percentage - but it takes some organization like a well respected DX club or contest group in EU to help out with PR and whatnot.

I also know the whole world has to pull together for these expensive south seas DX-peditions - that and a smaller "lean / mean fighting team" approach is the way into the future.

But I am starting to believe HR #1 is going to be a thing of the past . . . . not sure when - but we are kind of there already.
WA2VUY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 05:56:14 PM »

FT5ZB was a single op dxpedition (1988)  by F5CW; he went on a French supply/research vessel. One 3el tribander and dipoles to cover 12,17,30, 40, 80 and 160m. Even back then there were quite a few buildings at the base.

There is also a possibility that a ham radio operation could be part of a team that stays, as was FB8XY on Kerguelen. He only had a Drake TR4C. FT8WA, on Crozet, was another op that stayed for a season.

There seems to be less ham radio operators now on the mission teams.....

South Sandwich had an Argentine scientific station, LU3ZY, that was somewhat active (this before the VP8SSI dxpedition). They had a rhombic aimed towards Argentina that happened to be also towards USA :-)   When the Falklands War took place, after the British took back the Falklands they went on to S. Sandwich and captured the Argentinians there and destroyed LU3ZY.

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 07:37:37 PM »

FT5ZB was a single op dxpedition (1988)  by F5CW; he went on a French supply/research vessel. One 3el tribander and dipoles to cover 12,17,30, 40, 80 and 160m. Even back then there were quite a few buildings at the base.

There is also a possibility that a ham radio operation could be part of a team that stays, as was FB8XY on Kerguelen. He only had a Drake TR4C. FT8WA, on Crozet, was another op that stayed for a season.

There seems to be less ham radio operators now on the mission teams.....

South Sandwich had an Argentine scientific station, LU3ZY, that was somewhat active (this before the VP8SSI dxpedition). They had a rhombic aimed towards Argentina that happened to be also towards USA :-)   When the Falklands War took place, after the British took back the Falklands they went on to S. Sandwich and captured the Argentinians there and destroyed LU3ZY.

I have a blog that included research on South Sandwich and the Falklands war:

http://dxccsleuth.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/south-sandwich-islands-the-worst-place-on-earth/

I was sad to see that at one time - there was a base there with plenty of ham activity. Sad it was blown to bits . . . .

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:44:12 PM by KY6R » Logged
WA2VUY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »

Note: the referenced site by WH7DX is the online  magazine of the American Enterprise Institute for which you can find a description in wiki at  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Enterprise_Institute

Maybe if a lot of these bigger groups didn't treat EU like a disease we might give more donations,

Sure there are more A holes in EU than everywhere else but there is lots of DXers here too that don't cause QRM and want to have as good of a chance to make a Q as a guy in NA or JA

Trevor
EI2GLB

Trevor you're not a disease!!    Grin    Wish you well!!

I think it's all related.. if you look at who donates crap when the world needs it..  it's the U.S. by huge numbers...  it's not the muslim world..  and it's not Democrats..  just look at how much our current leaders donated prior to take top positions.  Biden is a cheap SOB.  It's Christians and that means usually tilted to conservative / Republicans.   That's just a fact.......

I think Charity and DX Donations are related...

http://www.american.com/archive/2008/march-april-magazine-contents/a-nation-of-givers
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 08:16:14 PM »

Note: the referenced site by WH7DX is the online  magazine of the American Enterprise Institute for which you can find a description in wiki at  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Enterprise_Institute

I'm shocked! I find WH7DX's comment quite offensive on a variety of levels. I don't much care that he has them or where they came from, but what are they doing here? Go start a web page or something.

You can call it the "WH7DX - I'm A Right Wing Republican Christian Donator (and we are the best people)" web page. Geeeeeez!
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 09:12:54 PM »

Shocked by the truth I take it...  No idea...

Anyone with a brain knows that the world turns to the U.S of A. when help is really needed.   Plenty of countries help as well but we are the backbone..

The U.S. is by far the biggest financial supporter of the U.N. and now we're getting shafted by all these little screwed up clown countries.. look who's on the "Human Rights" council and they're going after Israel???  Meanwhile they're beating women, raping children, killing homos, and cutting off body parts for crimes.   U.S. pays 22%, Japan 11%, Germany 7%, some 5's and then 1%'ers.

Anyone with a brain knows that Democrats / Liberals / Progressives want to rely on the government in times of need.   Others look to themselves, friends, church etc.     Katrina was so bad because they were so dependent on the government and they didn't use any of the resources to move people sooner.   Hundreds of school buses underwater...  it was a bad storm with a lot of water and people didn't have their own resources to get out of the way.   I wish I bookmarked the video of the local black reverend who told that truth.

You can do a google search for "republicans or democrats donate more to charity"

http://clearwater.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/whos-more-geneours-republicans-or-democrats

I'm a libertarian conservative independent  Grin who doesn't go to church who likes "common sense" and can spot a liar in chief.

If a higher percentage of ham donations come from the U.S. - I'm not surprised - there's history of that.

And that's how it relates....  Grin
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:25:37 PM by WH7DX » Logged
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 09:27:44 PM »

Shocked by the truth I take it...  No idea...

Anyone with a brain knows that the world turns to the U.S of A. when help is really needed.   Plenty of countries help as well but we are the backbone..

The U.S. is by far the biggest financial supporter of the U.N. and now we're getting shafted by all these little screwed up clown countries.. look who's on the "Human Rights" council and they're going after Israel???  Meanwhile they're beating women, raping children, killing homos, and cutting off body parts for crimes.   U.S. pays 22%, Japan 11%, Germany 7%, some 5's and then 1%'ers.

Anyone with a brain knows that Democrats / Liberals / Progressives want to rely on the government in times of need.   Others look to themselves, friends, church etc.     Katrina was so bad because they were so dependent on the government and they didn't use any of the resources to move people sooner.   Hundreds of school buses underwater...  it was a bad storm with a lot of water and people didn't have their own resources to get out of the way.   I wish I bookmarked the video of the local black reverend who told that truth.

You can do a google search for "republicans or democrats donate more to charity"

http://clearwater.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/whos-more-geneours-republicans-or-democrats

I'm a libertarian conservative independent who doesn't go to church who likes "common sense".   K.I.S.S........

If a higher percentage of ham donations come from the U.S. - I'm not surprised - there's history of that.

I really don't care who or what you are, this is a DX forum. Personally I'm tired of "these people do this, these others don't" in DX'ing.
To the extent I have contributed to this, I apologize.

But here is another truth, buddy - contributors, DXpeditoners, radio ops, etc... all come from different countries (with different amateur radio histories and cultures), religions, political persuasions, and so on. Respect all of them, and if you can't take it somewhere else besides here.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:43:08 PM by NU4B » Logged
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 09:42:06 PM »

There are good people and bad people in every country, culture etc...   I'm talking about the bad people.  Usually the leaders are the worst and we've seen that all around the world.

Mao is a good example.   Starved tens of millions - could have changed course.. didn't - he didn't really care.   You sure do hear his name a lot in the U.S. from people in power?   Mao was a clown.. not all the citizens.

Roger, we don't care what each other thinks.. no problem.   It's a message board.

Facts are Facts... I'll leave it at that.

This photo cracked me up... you better smile..

http://www.google.com/search?q=scared+north+koreans+with+leader&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=b4aVUs2-IsjxoATfioDgCw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1814&bih=989#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=1sset6ChE316oM%3A%3BKDYOEDO1uSqtuM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi.imgur.com%252FCBTOh.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%252F2012%252F08%252F20%252Fkim-jong-un-family-photo_n_1812069.html%3B978%3B1052
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:44:27 PM by WH7DX » Logged
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 09:49:46 PM »

Mao is a good example.   Starved tens of millions - could have changed course.. didn't - he didn't really care.   You sure do hear his name a lot in the U.S. from people in power?

I pretty much keep up day to day on politics. To be honest, the only 2 references I have seen to Mao in the last few years have been in your post and in the newspaper crossword puzzle I did the other day.  Grin
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 04:31:57 AM »

re: mentioning Mao
Let's not forget Anita Dunn ;-)

Anyway, guys, let's drop the political stuff and get back to DXing. 

Mike N2MG
webmaster
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 04:44:10 AM »

Grin Grin Grin WH7DX- now look what you've done, you got us both in trouble!  Grin Grin Grin
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 04:49:13 AM »

No, not at all.

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 06:27:36 AM »

No, not at all.

Well, perhaps they SHOULD be.  This is not the place for that garbage.

Gene AF3Y
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: