Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT5ZM Funding and the Future of "South Oceans" DX-peditions  (Read 8103 times)
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2013, 12:42:44 PM »

That's the way I see it... friendly.. informative..

Hopefully this won't upset the gods.. posting this in the sacried golden message thread woven from the hands of virgins on Mt. Athos....    Grin

And in totally unrelated news....  Grin, and showing that sometimes nothing beats having a physical currency in one's hand is the story of James Howells from Wales, who bought 7500 Bitcoins in 2009, forgot about them, threw away his hard disk and is now scrambling to retrieve because the value of his "digital wallet" has exploded to over $7 million! From BBC:

A Newport man has been searching a landfill site in south Wales hoping to find a computer hard drive he threw away which is now worth over £4m.

James Howells's hard drive contains 7,500 bitcoins - which is a virtual form of currency for use online. It had sat in a drawer for years and he had forgotten it contained the bitcoins, which he obtained in 2009 for almost nothing, when he threw it out.

But this week, a single bitcoin's value hit $1,000 (£613) for the first time. It means Mr Howells's collection is now worth $7.5m (£4.6m).

A few years ago Mr Howells, who works in IT, had dismantled his computer after spilling a drink on it. "I stored a couple of parts away like the hard drive, and the rest of the bits and pieces which were still working I sold for spares," he told BBC Radio Wales.

"I kept the hard drive in a drawer in my office for three years without a second thought - totally forgot about bitcoin all together. I had been distracted by family life and moving house.

"Fast forward to 2013 which is when I had a clearout of my old IT equipment - I hadn't used this drive for over three years, I believed I'd taken everything off it... so it got thrown in the bin."

Mr Howells later realised what was left on the hard drive.

He added: "I had been hearing a few stories of a chap from Norway who had bought a number of coins for a very low price and had sold them for a high price and that's when I got back into checking the price and seeing what I'd done.

"When I found out what the price was, the penny dropped and I realised the coins I have 'mined' were on the drive I had thrown away.

"There was not a lot I could do."

... and if he finds it.. perhaps he can pay for the whole FT5ZM DXpedition!!...   you see that..  tied it in again...   Grin

Happy Thanksgiving guys!!
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2013, 10:16:20 AM »

Funds needed to cover cost - we'll use $480,000 (??)

If they get $50,000 from organizations - leaves $430,000

$430k / 20k unique users = $21.50 per

$430k / 25k = $17.20 per

If we look at it by QSOs which is the only leverage they have -

$430k / 100k QSOs = $4.30 per.

So, it would seem that getting everyone to donate based on unique visitors isn't going to ever happen.

In order for these types of DX to happen without large funding from behind the scene (crew etc.) they will need to charge per QSO but that is flawed because a majority of people will pay for 1 band versus 4..  $5 per QSO etc. example.

So if we averaged it out with some paying for 4 bands we can guesstimate with $7 per QSO average x 25,000 hams = $175,000.   Don't know about extra money from outside sales of items?   That's not even factoring bureau QSL cards..

If they reported $283,000 received already - leaves approx. $200,000 from total expense (??)

So the QSL and extra sales are getting closer etc.. assuming you have the money to cover the costs upfront.  I guess that's standard..  Those involved know they get about 50% upfront and maybe the other 50% later.. perhaps 40%?  (??) 

To me, it's like Larry Ellison and sailing America's Cup.   It takes a lot of extra funding to make these types of DX possible.  I'd be curious to see figures of something like this afterwards.

Their reported breakdown with NA at 50%+ is spot on with other DXpeditions not located near NA.

http://www.amsterdamdx.org/sponsors/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:24:25 AM by WH7DX » Logged
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2013, 08:17:46 PM »

Looking at the website..

We can guesstimate that Non-Individual donations were approx. $110,000 with N. California DX donating (grant) of $50,000.

Individual Donations appear to be around $60,000.

That would put them at $170,000.   I don't see the $283,000 raised figure around.    That's a difference of approx. $100k which is kinda large for those donating anonymously Huh

It's on and they need more to donate upfront instead of waiting.   I added a little more. 
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2013, 09:03:06 PM »

Each participant pays something around $12K each, don't remember the exact figure. For the postponed Heard trip it was $20K/pp.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2013, 09:41:42 PM »

Each participant pays something around $12K each, don't remember the exact figure. For the postponed Heard trip it was $20K/pp.

Thank you...   If 15 members pay $12,500 each then I come up with approx. $330,000 right now.

$175,000 members.
$107,000 Organization donors
$58,000 Individual

My guesstimate only.   So far - all individual donations might come to around the payment of 5 members - and all 15 get to hear some complain..  so forget that coffee and outside U.S. open up that dusty old wallet.. Allen......    Grin
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: