Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who says CW is dead?  (Read 12967 times)
TA2RX

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2013, 11:44:13 AM »

lcwo.net, a site that teaches CW online in 27 different languages, has passed 50,000 users recently.  30,000 of these users have registered in the last three years.

Who says CW is dead?

You can find reviews about the site including mine at eham.net: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8401

73!
de Bekir TA2RX
W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 12:07:14 PM »

It's not, in fact more activity than 50 years ago! 
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 12:10:46 PM »

Only those whose VFO is stuck on one frequency.
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 12:33:10 PM »

I thought it would drag CW down at the time.  I was wrong.  Removing the CW requirements for upgrade has caused ops to flock into CW.  Its a lot more fun now.

73, JP, K8AG
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »

There had long been the opinion--even longer ago than the removal of code testing--that once that requirement for morse code testing was gone, people would want to learn that mode. 

It seems that that opinion was right since, as the last poster has pointed out, the number of people learning and using code has increased--just as the number of ham license holders has.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 07:36:57 PM »

I thought it would drag CW down at the time.  I was wrong.  Removing the CW requirements for upgrade has caused ops to flock into CW.  Its a lot more fun now.

73, JP, K8AG

Agreed, I was first licensed in the early 90's (novice, tech+ and general) at age 9.  At that time code was a chore like taking out the trash.  Now I love it.  I keep my mic in the desk. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 08:07:45 PM »

lcwo.net, a site that teaches CW online in 27 different languages, has passed 50,000 users recently.  30,000 of these users have registered in the last three years.
  Registering for a website doesn't make you a new cw op.
Quote from:  link=topic=93507.msg716332#msg716332 date=1385323634
It's not, in fact more activity than 50 years ago! 
  Maybe, but a lot fewer new ops than six years ago
Ops escaping the phone bands, but very few new ops.
There had long been the opinion--even longer ago than the removal of code testing--that once that requirement for morse code testing was gone, people would want to learn that mode. 

It seems that that opinion was right since, as the last poster has pointed out, the number of people learning and using code has increased--just as the number of ham license holders has.
  Really? New operators are learning Morse and flocking to the bands just because they didn't like being told what to do? The "Tom Sawer effect" is a silly myth.

73, JP, K8AG

Agreed, I was first licensed in the early 90's (novice, tech+ and general) at age 9.  At that time code was a chore like taking out the trash.  Now I love it.  I keep my mic in the desk. 
  Absolutely, many code tested hams are returning to the roots of ham radio and it's great to see it, but very few new cw ops are actually learning code and getting on the air. When was the last time you heard someones first cw QSO?
  There are a very small amount of dedicated new hams learning the code and putting a station on the air. CW isn't even sick, much less dying, but we should be honest about the number of new telegraphers.
                        Very best of 73, de Tom, AB9NZ, Mount Prospect, Illinois
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 04:14:08 AM »

Really? New operators are learning Morse and flocking to the bands just because they didn't like being told what to do? The "Tom Sawer effect" is a silly myth.

No, not the way you make it sound--THAT is silly.  The facts remain, however, that there are more people learning morse and using it than there ever was before, and those numbers have gone up faster than numbers of licensed hams have.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 05:27:59 AM »

Due to the resurgence of CW particularly among the new or younger hams it would not be surprising to see this topic a few years from now headed "Who says SSB is dead" especially in relation to the current attrition of voice only Old Timer's to SK land. Voice and some digital modes have nothing out of the ordinary to offer a lot of newer hams I have talked to since they do something similar every day via cell phone, Skype, email etc., they consider CW something new and unique.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 05:45:31 AM »

Who says CW is dead?

NO-Coders say CW is dead. The hams that do not know the code want it to go away.

Those of us who know the code know that CW is NOT dead.

Stan K9IUQ
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 07:54:30 AM »

While there may be many people taking up CW with enthusiasm, it is absurd to say there are more people using CW than in years past.   Don't break your arm, patting yourselves on the back.

The activity in the CW bands today is only a shadow of that of thirty or thirty five years ago when I was a Novice. 

Still, let's encourage the skill and activity and camaraderie!  bill

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 08:12:36 AM »

Bill:  Agreed!  While CW operation has been wounded it hasn't been mortally wounded.  I do feel there is a resurgence of interest in CW which is bringing the numbers up from just a couple years ago.  Of course it is nowhere near the numbers we had many years ago, especially during the Novice years when it was necessary to get a Novice ticket.

I feel the primary reason for the "renewed" interest in CW is many new hams are finding that it's much easier to work DX with CW with more bandwidth.  I also feel that many old timers are revisiting their "roots."

I doubt if CW will ever die any more than the interest in AM or boat anchors has died.
KE2EE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 04:49:40 PM »

Do you think the resurgence could be due to the present state of the economy too? Since the top HF rigs are so expensive, maybe newcomers are choosing to buy, or build the simpler, cheaper qrp CW rigs to get on the air.
This goes back to the early days of ham radio when the easiest way to get on the air was to build a simple low power one tube rig.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:13:40 PM by KE2EE » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 08:22:39 PM »

Absolutely Mike!  Good point.  If I was getting into the hobby today I'd have to do that very thing!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 04:15:50 AM »

Lastest eHam survey Dec.2010: CW users 63%, non CW users 37%. An updated survey might be interesting.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:28:15 AM by W1JKA » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: